OK... What bike is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK... What bike is this?

We saw this in Hot Springs and I don't know what it is. Anyone??

And that lever in the back of the engine on the second pic... is that just where you shifted, or could this go in reverse? It was in really nice shape... just thougth I'd ask.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

First glance I'd say OLD Beemer, but I don't recall the push rod tubes. Zundapp maybe or one of those 1960/70s knockoffs of Euro bikes the Soviets used to do?
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Moto Guzzi?
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

commi but cool

that looks to be a Russian URAL. they are being reproduced like the Triumphs now
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock
        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

My vote is on the Ural...

Ural Website (for anyone interested)
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Yes, XSCHOP... it's a URAL.

Stay away from them. I worked at a place that sold them. Also sold Royal Enfields. Stay away from them, as well.
            Do not, for any reason, drive either of these faster than 45 mph. The cop will give you a ticket for littering, and make you walk back down the highway picking up nuts, bolts, foot pegs, linkages, etc.
            HHmmm..
            Yeah, that place sells Hyosung and United Motors, too... stay away from them, as well.
            Last edited by prometheus578; 06-04-2007, 09:04 AM.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Actually, XSChop, the Triumphs are not being reproduced. Had a slow down ten years ago while they revamped and made all new dies and machinery, etc.
              Has the most modern and up to date machining processes of any European motorcycle manufacturer. Bonnevilles and such still have the older style, but I have yet to see one of them with the trademark "Triumph oil leak". Just doesn't happen.

Comment

hey

No waitaminute. I have a new Ural Patrol, which both goes faster than 45mph, but also does so without leaving bits all over.

That is a Ural, btw, an older one with a 650 motor. Probably a tourist. The ural motor is basically a copy of a /2 bmw, in fact many poepl have swapped the russian motor for a bmw one.

The new motor, a 750, is of a much higher quality, as the company that manufactured them has gone private. They are also now equipped with german trannies, japanese electronics, and brembro brakes.

The Patrol and Gear-Up are also equipped with 2wd, a solid axle linking the drive wheel to the sidecar wheel, with a lever to activate it. All models have an engine driven reverse.

I will admit that it is not going to be a good cross country in a hurry bike. It's max speed is really only about 70, and with the rigid car turning at that speed is a matter of wishful thinking, but it is fun to ride and very eye catching. Since I still don't have a car, the advantages of the Ural (which can't fall over, and has 2wd and reverse) means I will be able to get around with impunity this winter.

I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

My apologies, Pain

When I went to a course on these things, I was sort of looking at the patrol and gear-up, too.
                  Can't recall which one... I liked the white, "Winter in Stalingrad" look.
                  A fine design from the '30's...
                  Obviously, it has it's limitations, but if ridden as it was designed, should hold up quite well.
                  Had I not tossed them last year, I would have shipped you the manuals.

Comment

Sure, but can they be adapted to chain/shaft drive, and be bored up to 850, and rigged with fuel injection, and and and...
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Re: OK... What bike is this?

Originally posted by trbig

And that lever in the back of the engine on the second pic... is that just where you shifted, or could this go in reverse?
                      That level is the kickstarter. The crankshaft runs fore and aft in those motors.
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's a Dnepper. I see them on e-bay all the time. They are sold as kits for about $5,000. The importer is here in Cleveland. I don't know if they are Chinese made or one of those ex soviet countries.
                        Mark Stanton

Comment

I believe your right, but maybe a letter or two off.

It's Dnepr.

Looks like a mean ol' bike! This one's set up for 3-up riding!

80 XS1100SG
                          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

&quot;Oh, I'm in the mood to argue....&quot;

Of course, there's no way for us to know for sure.
                            It looks more like the Ural "Retro". An older version, etc.
                            Go to the Wikipedia link you posted and bring up both sites, the Ural and the Dnepr.
                            Now compare the company logos with the tank badge that's on the photo here. Looks more like the Ural triangle with the lines underneath it.

Comment

Well, it appears I stand corrected.

The logo is the same indeed.

http://www.imz-ural.com/
                              80 XS1100SG
                              81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Working...
                              X