No announcement yet.

Stump the Band!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe not ran out of fuel, but put the petcocks on prime during the long ride and then while going downhill the gas went to the front of the tank.
    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Yes, but not completely out of fuel. He was heading down hill. All his remaining fuel sloshed to the front of the tank, leaving the petcocks thirsty.. He was on a Special and couldn't crank it over fast enough to get the vacuum to open the petcocks again to fill the bowls, hence, he had to push it home.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

No fair, Malber... I was still typing.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Can it be? Is it possible?

He was on a Special
          He was on a Standard...
          (they only have one Special at this time.... and it's a 79... but I'm certain they will add more)

Seems it is a general consensus that he either ran out of gas... or didn't have enough to keep the petcocks working...
          So about how he fixed the problem? Siphoned some from one of the other MANY steeds in their stable? the lawn mower? [what a way to get out of yardwork! Shame on you HobbyMan!(heading out to get the siphon hose)] the Suburban?
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578
            No fair, Malber... I was still typing.
            Yes, but your explanation was better.
            1981 XS1100SH

Comment

WildKat, we have two specials. 79F and 81 LH Though, the 81 is not road legal yet.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

I thought about that second Special

but as the Midnight isn't road worthy at this time... it doesn't count... Well... not in this thread anyway... I mean... how could you have been riding it? at least a long way... maybe down the hill from your house... but not much farther I'm guessing...

By the way... have I mentioned lately that your acquisition of this particular type of motorcycle is becoming a bit XSive? I think you need to send one of them south about 5 miles...
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Whats wrong with being a little excessive? I think that the latest edition is quite happy where it is
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Yea, he had to have run the fuel down too far for the petcocks to pick up. If it had just been the position of the petcock he would have figured it out..... unless....

We don't know when this happened. It could have been early in his career as an XSive and perhaps that is when he earned the name Meathead Idiot!

If he turned off the petcocks while having a snack he might have forgot to turn them on after! OR... maybe DAD (in his infinite wisdom) looked at the bike and said, "That Meathead Idiot!, he forgot to turn off the petcocks!" and DAD helped the boy out and turned them off FOR HIM!
                    JimBoReeno
                    My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                    '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                    '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                    2000 Indian Chief
                    Millennium Edition

Comment

Remember guys

He was riding a Standard at the time.

Comment

Ok close enough. Yes it was a standard. Every pretty much got it. I had already switched to reserve on my way home. All of the gas sloshed forward and I could not get the bike restarted. I was heading to the gas station. I would have made it on two cyls, but it wouldn't restart. Not even pointed uphill on prime. I had to push it back home, put gas in it, and drive back to the gas station. THat sucked. I told you this would be easy.
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                        X