life as we know it ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• life as we know it ...

If you are surfing this website on Friday or Saturday night, do you really have a life or do you need to get one? What say ye .. .yea or nay?
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

I have a life and it's not a happy one at the moment. I do enjoy surfing the web at anytime tho, a bright spot
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Re: life as we know it ...

Originally posted by thewiz
      If you are surfing this website on Friday or Saturday night, do you really have a life or do you need to get one? What say ye .. .yea or nay?
      i just got off of work, some of us work on swing shift.
      i like too ride motorcycles because it make me one with nature,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y76JjOg66Lw

felling the wind and the sun on me smelling the outdoor trees and flowers as a drive by themm i think motorcycles are more loners then the main streamers.

Comment

Yea. just got back from dinner with my son daughter and their significant others to celebrate my big 50 . It don't get much better than that.

Ed Z.
        It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
        81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
        82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
        82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

I work overnight on Fridays, and some saturdays.

Do I have a life? I am not sure I can judge.
          I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

simple answer - you're married!
            Andy

Comment

rhetoricly speaking

I was actually kinda' wonderin' about myself and how someone else might see it ... guess I shoulda' posed the question in the first person. I'm single, late 50's, in good health and shape but without much use for many of the activities I used to do on weekend nights in times bygone ...right here is where I find myself pretty often these days. I guess what I was really asking myself and anyone who reads this, "Is a virtual life real?"

It's also very apparent by reading the responses to this post that there are many good reasons to be on the web, on this website at just about ANYTIME of day or night. It's as good a place to hang out as any I know of. I have found myself spending increasingly more time here as I thrash this 79 sf project I've been workin' on toward completion. In fact, I've grown to like this website and the people on it better than most of the people that I see in person on a regular basis. I've also met in person a few of the members here ... really nice people .... and, like Pat, I've found that surfing this site makes me feel better somehow .... and I like that too.
              80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

What makes this work for me is all the folks I've met here and other places like it. I've shaken hands with more than I can count and many have become cherished friends. That's a life!
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Nothing wrong with being here on a Friday or Saturday night. You wont get a DWI being here. You wont get into a fist fight being here. You wont get anyone pregnant being here and last but not least you wont waste any money being here. With that being said if I was 25 and not 52 and married with kids I probably wouldnt be here on a Friday or Saturday night unless I was sick.
                  1993 ZX11D
                  1979 CBX
                  1973 Z1
                  2001 ZX12R

Comment

Given that there is SQUAT to watch on TV these days and it's a bit COLD outside to be drinking tall cold ones on the deck ... I have no issues with spending some time on-line. It's productive time and not just "surfing" the net going nowhere. I do research relating to my job, Visit and revisit here, Update my space about my bikes, keep an eye out for parts I want or need, do my banking, chat with my Daughter when she's not here, etc etc
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I'm a retired road musician 47. Bec, my wife is an RN she is 29 (yeah, I know). Three kids :
                      Emma 6, Atticus 2, Rhys 7 months. (yeah I know)
                      Had my share of bar fights and tossing perfectly good motorcycles up the road in a shower of sparks at 3:00 A.M. on a Friday night/Saturday morn'?
                      Home is good and quiet and relatively safe especially after the kids are in bed. I'm a full time stay at home dad.... Talk about tough duty. Xs11.com at 10:00 pm on a friday night is good clean american entertainment and I don't wake up with huge bloody scabs on my elbows and chunks of asphalt embedded in my kneecaps, stifled by my own stale beer/cig breath and a head the size of the Rock of Gibraltar..... ahhh the goold old days!!!??!!!!!
                      sigh....
                      XSRIK
                      79 XS1100F "Talkin' 'bout shaft"

77 CB750 A "Dumpster classic" aka "Rattus Ottomaticus"

Comment

Right on, Jet, XS, ZX, Rob and everyone who spoke out !! .... you all have many good reasons to hit this site on a weekend evening. I feel better about it now somehow ... vindicated, as it were. Don't think I'll ever question myself again on this matter ... thanks everyone for the input ... and good surfing too Keep the shiny side up !
                        80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Life

I have been to 5 XS rallies in the USA and Canada and have made some wonderful friends because of this site . Your right i could be out acting stupid getting in trouble but at 54 i think ill stay home and slow down the pace a little till summer hits and then im off. Hope to meet some of yall in NY this summer !
                          Doug
                          Doug Mitchell
                          82 XJ1100 sold
                          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

My $.02... and I'll try to stick to just that...

I did some incredible things when I was younger... now that I'm older... I think some of them were incredibly stupid... but it was a learning experience and it was living for that age...
                            Years went by... things changed... My life was different but of no less value... My idea of a good time now is different... I don't drink until I fall over (I can do that without drinking)... I don't do drugs... Back then it was fun... now it's just a headache... I don't go out looking for a good time... I have a good time with my family right here at home... It's what you make it...
                            Get a life? I have one... with my family... my kids that I can be young with... my husband who I can hang out with and talk to (not just "at"... but sometimes that too )
                            We can't always go out when we want to... that will come again when the kids are older... So if we decide to hang out and read a bit on the computer on a Friday or Saturday night... no big deal... The computer is in the living room with the kids watching a movie or playing games... We talk... we have a good time... and we spend it together as a family... It's a life... not bad... not worse... just different... and it's still good...
                            I suppose if I were single... I would still not be going out every weekend... I find it's okay to stay at home and hang out by yourself sometimes... Whatever you choose to do with that time... shouldn't be a big deal to anyone else... It's not their business ANYway... If you're happy... like I say... it's all good... and it's YOUR life... so you have one...
                            So on anyone that says otherwise...

81 SH Something Special
                            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                            80 LG Black Magic
                            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                            For those on FB

Comment

Okay... $.02 more...

There are nights when I can't sleep... and I come and read here on the forum... There is SO much information here of ALL kinds... I learn... I laugh... sometimes I get angry... but it's all good... This forum isn't a replacement for real life like some fantasy forums can be... It's an addendum... an enhancement... and I'm really glad that it's here...
                              81 SH Something Special
                              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X