No announcement yet.

Snow out the wazoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could get one of these, and put an xs11 engine in it.
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
      I spent about 5 hours on the roof today and didn't even get half of it cleaned off, I am sore everwhere.
      Either you've got an enormous house, or you folks don't move snow there the way we do it here in western Canada.

Have you got one of these:

Everybody here owns at least one of these, along with other assorted pushers, shovels, and ice breakers. This particular one is 28 years old. It has been modified over the years with bracing gussets where the handle attaches and at the front corners, the front lip has been cut back, and the handle has been shortened a bit.

For roof clearing, you start along the eaves and saw the snow into blocks the size of the scoop with a cheap 24" handsaw. Leaving 4 or 5 inches on the roof to protect the shingles, you slide the scoop in under a block, then lift the handle slightly to break the block loose. Pull the block back towards the edge and fire it off. If your roof has some pitch to it, gravity will do most of the work of moving the block downhill for you. Step to the side near the edge, let the scoop wheel around and stop it right at the edge, and the block shoots right off.

I helped a neighbour a couple of weeks back when the snow was up to 4 feet deep on his roof. Doing it this way, you move the entire 4 foot column of snow all at once, but you never actually lift any of it.

My buddy's folks used to own a 20 unit, single level motel with an attached 1200 square foot residence. He and I could clean the roof on the entire complex in a single Saturday, starting about 9:00 in the morning, stopping for lunch, and still finishing in time to have a cool beer before supper.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks Ken, Hmmm...I never thought of cutting the snow into blocks. I am not really lifting the snow, but it is so tightly packed and heavy that it is hard to break off chunks of it. Maybe try this on the other half. I have never seen one of those bucket things before.
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Mexico, NY - You's Famous !

Hey Gary,

Mexico, NY made the Canadian National TV News the other day. And the Canadian Weather Network TV Show mentioned Mexico, NY. and all your snow. I'm Impressed. You think it will be all gone by the time the XS-Rally rolls around?

Here in Nova Scotia we have only a had a small amount of snow all winter. Just a centimeter or so down but it does not go away as we been in an Arctic freeze for about 3 weeks now. Never goes above -5 C and most days start out -10 to -20C. Thats cold for this part of the country.

You said:
          "I have never seen one of those bucket things before."

We have those "Snow Scoops" here as well. I get alot of deep drifting snow (not this winter so far) and would never dig out without one. I used to have a metal one like in the picture but I found the new plastic ones are better as the snow does not stick to it as it does to the metal ones. We get alot of wet, sticky snow here and we find the plastic scoops work best here. Also, they are lighter than the metal ones.

Spring willl come again......right??

Mark
          Mark Robertson,

'84 XJ1100 - SOLD
          '79 XS1100 - SOLD n still going strong
          '07 Bandit 1250S

Comment

Spring willl come again......right??

Umm...I can only hope

BTW got 12-15 inches more today.

Cutting the snow on the roof did help...I am down to less than 1/3 to go. I did see one of those bucket things in a photo at the hardware store (cleaning off the roof) so maybe I can get one.

Umm snow suxs!
            Gary Granger

Comment

Re: Mexico, NY - You's Famous !

Originally posted by omegaxj
              I used to have a metal one like in the picture but I found the new plastic ones are better as the snow does not stick to it as it does to the metal ones.
              Hey, Mark, sounds like you east coasters have never heard of using Pam (vegetable oil spray) on your metal scoop at the start of the season! When I was over tuning up my buddy's blower last week, he was moaning about being all out of WD40 when we were ready to lube his throttle cable. His son was doing some major scoop work, and had come over and pilfered his old man's can of WD for the same purpose.

Our news coverage here tonight was also showing some of the problems back in Gary's area. Looked pretty nasty all right!
              Ken Talbot

Comment

I mowed the lawn today....
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                  I mowed the lawn today....
                  I hope you got crab grass!

Gary Granger

Comment

Hang in the buddy. Even if you don't do anything, it should be gone by rally time... Always does.
                    Marty in NW PA
                    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

would not want to live on a lake or river when it does go away....
                      Travis Miller
                      1978 E

Comment

Maybe if I inject a little warmth into this thread it'll make the winter go faster for you guys.

XSEast 2005, here's the whole gang of thieves;

Comment

Here is another one - in the sun and very hot, with Lake Michigan in the background...

sixtysix has some terrific snow photos, maybe he will share...
                          Last edited by MartyA; 02-12-2007, 06:35 PM.
                          Marty in NW PA
                          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Fridge

Not making light of your situation Gary regards XS snow but if you fill your back porch with snow right up to the top of the door you will find that by opening the inside door you will have an XSellent bar fridge for beer....just stick those little bottles and cans right in that snowbank!
                            Bruce Doucette
                            Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Looking out my back door...

It's not just an old CCR tune

Ken Talbot

Comment

Gary,

I feel for you. I was feeling sorry for myself because I'm not going to get to ride this weekend. We got about an inch of snow and it melted by 9 AM, but it's still snowing. It will probably turn to ice tonight.

You can always wax the Aprillia.

Hang in there.
                                Bill Murrin
                                Nashville, TN
                                1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                                1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                                2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                                2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                                1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                                2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...