Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Temperature thread.

Hey fellow excessives.

Out of sheer boredom, and the fact that im sick and tired of dreaming of seat time, I figured id start another temperature thread and see where you all are sitting. Seems as though the guys down south arent as far south as they should be, I see AZ is in for some 30's.

Temps broke records here in the capitol city today, 54 degrees aint to shabby, but the bike is in storage 75miles away, carbs drained and the bike in pieces currently (entertaining the idea of a few new mods)

Will be going back to the parents tomorrow to do some work on it, but the temps are supposed to peak at 35 degrees somewheres around midnight tonight and steadily fall from there, so riding the bike in my g'string is definately out, even if I could manage to piece it together enough to go burn some twisties.

So lets hear ya brag, ill stay shiverin up here in ND
    Bauer
    1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
    Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
    1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
    Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

60 something this afternoon

Rode the Red Bitch for the first time since about the 4th or 5th.
    Still friggin cold this morning though, frost all over everything.
    It was pretty crabby to start up. I live in an apartment so its parked outside under a canopy and with a cover.
    I hit the start button, and thought the battery was dead. Clickety click!

Bumped it to 5th and reefed on the rear wheel just to remind it what its job is. After that it cranked right over. Maybe some flash rust somewhere, we had a big temp swing with lots of moisture.

Or maybe she was just mad at me.
    "You never take me anywhere, anymore!"
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

It finally got cold here. It's 21 and snowing. we have been riding right up to today. It has been pretty warm for January so far. I talke to a buddy up in Canada yesterday and he said it was about 30 below...
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

I know its not a record breaker
        but this was taken 5 minutes ago
        at 8:15 pm eastern time jan 25th 2007

and it is going to be below zero tonight

http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
        78E main ride, since birth the "good"
        78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
        78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
        79F Parts
        80G Parts
        75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Oakland, Metro Oakland International Airport
          Last Update on 25 Jan 5:50 pm PST

48°F
          (9°C) Humidity: 83 %
          Wind Speed: WNW 9 MPH

Barometer: 30.10 in (1019.2 mb)
          Dewpoint: 43°F (6°C)
          Wind Chill: 44°F (7°C)
          Visibility: 3.00 Miles
          Other Local Obs 2 Day History

Airport is about a 20 minute ride from here with light trafic.
          I live at the base of the foot hills in the east bay and normal temps are about 10 degrees warmer.......

Local ride thru Niles and Palomeres Canyon and temp drops as much as 20 degrees. Have to wear a heavy shirt, brrrrrr....

mro
          btw, have a little place in the Serria's. Right now probably looks like some of your pics with snow. Real nice place in spring and fall, but won't go there in winter, probably about 14 to 20 degrees there tonight

Comment

Feel sorry for ya'

Was 76 F here today officially, but I am the responsible one for that. Kinda like washing your car, got the bike in peices on the garage floor so the weather is perfect for riding. Just wait 'till I get 'er ride ready, be another record breaker, probably snow here in Orange County. LOL
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Was cold here today also. Started out wet- drizzly and 51 deg this morn, was real glad the old van would start. Then when the rain stoped it got colder! By the time I finished with work, my nipples were so hard they could cut glass.
              Good thing this only happens here about two week out of the year.
              I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

We were recently in the mid 20's to 40's here in sunny CA. Still rode to work everyday.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

-4 with a -33 wind chill. But hey, the summers are nice.

Steve
                  80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                  73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                  62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                  Norton Electra - future restore
                  CZ 400 MX'er
                  68 Ducati Scrambler
                  RC Planes and Helis

Comment

This thread is depressing. All winter I've been denying the inevitable and shaking my head at people who have told me it's too cold to ride (in the 40s). If they have to ask, they wouldn't understand. Now it is too cold and my bike (under cover) is ice encrusted. No fancy warm garage for significant other. At least she has my friend's VTX to keep her company on the long cold winter nights.
                    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

It has finally dipped into the 40's here in N. Florida...brrrr.... too bad my engine is still in about 50 pieces on the garage floor...waiting for some plastigauge that is supposed to show up today.
                      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Only 50 pieces?

You must not have it torn down very far...Ya know 1100 isn't the engine size...It's the number of pieces in it.

Comment

I am sure John could agree with me that today's weather was good for January.
                          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

DeBeque, Colorado (western Slope)

Warmer this morning (sat. jan 27) than it has been, temp is an even 21 degrees F. as I type this. Most mornings have been right around 0 - 5 degrees F, a few this past week have been below zero. Forecast high for today is 39 degrees F with a 40 percent chance of snow this afternoon. Need to do some snowmobile trailer maintenance, broke a piece in the tilt mechanism, so I can hit the trails tomorrow.....

Groomed trail #SP, Grand Mesa, Colorado. January 7, 2007.
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Nova Scotia

Its about 4 deg above zero or as we measure in Canada -14 Cel.
                              last time I had the bike out it was Christmas day then it was 25 fer. went down the road in short sleeve shirt! Neighbors already figured out Im crazy anyway....
                              Bruce
                              78XS1100 Alpha
                              Bruce Doucette
                              Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Working...
                              X