A question about brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about brake lines

I am slowly tinkering away at my hydro clutch conversion. I just need to have some holes drilled and a larger hole drilled or cut 1.83" into my plate for the slave (any one with the right equipment feel free to chime in ). After that, the last thing I have to do is have some kinda line. What I was wondering ,can you do your own metal lines? I was thinking I could run a metal line from near the neck down and around the engine or something. Or does anyone know of any bikes similar in size that had hydro clutches on the right side of the bike that I could use a line from? thanXS

I have been taking pics of the process and will post a big thread when it is done as I know I am not the only one interested in this mod.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Jessie,

I'd be concerned with a solid line going from the FRAME to the engine case, the engine flexes in the frame, concerned about the joint working loose at the engine??
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Jessie,
      If you go to your local V-twin shop, they have the stainless line by the foot, with all the fittings. I would put a single line from the master to the slave, using the banjo fittings. It will probably cost about $75.00, but you will only do it once.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

do your own metal lines?

Need "flaring" tool (used to make brake lines for cars/trucks) and small tubing cutter. Should be able to get all at a auto parts store. Tools/fittings/tubing should all cost under $50.00.....

As TC noted, engine/frame flex. Would add a hose connection there.

One piece SS line as Ray says would be easiest as well as trouble free.

mro

Comment

Working...
        X