Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Shim calculator Excel Spreadsheet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Shim calculator Excel Spreadsheet.

Hey folks,

Jessie(81XSproject) sent me an Excel Spreadsheet that he created with some simple formulas to assist in calculating the required shims needed after putting in your shim size and the clearances.

I was trying to make it a little better. For the shim sizes cells, the range needs to be 2.00 to 3.20 in .05 increments. I noticed that when I right click on a cell, at the bottom of the popup menu the last choice is PICK FROM LIST! I tried to decipher the techspeak of the HELP info in how to create a LIST and have it available like a drop down choice for those cells for the shim size, however I can't get it to recognize the LIST?

Any Excel wizards on here that can give me a step by step procedure. I added the LIST a few columns to the right of the rest of the already occupied cells, the first row is labelled
    SHIM(MM) and then every cell below that has the data of the values I listed above below it.

The Help info says that Excel will automatically recognize the LIST and have it available. When I right click on the SHIM size cell IN the calcualtor and select PICK FROM LIST, I only see a blank box subset below the active cell, when I use the down arrow, a row of about 5 boxes within the window/cell shows up highlighted, but that's it?

If you need me to send the spreadsheet to you, PM/Email me with your email addy.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

if the objects are in the same column as the box you want the pulldown in, they will be in the list when you right click on it and pick "select form list".

Put a list of all the sizes really low in the sheet somewhere in the same column, but far enough away to not interfere with the sheet itself. They will be available as a list in that column then.

I know there's another way to do it progammatically, but im not sure how.
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

TC, As JWS states that list is only for any entries that are in the column.

Microsoft Excel doesn't always complete my column entries.

· On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Edit tab, and then make sure the Enable AutoComplete for cell values check box is selected.
      · Click after the last character in the cell. Microsoft Excel completes an entry only when the insertion point is at the end of the current cell contents.
      · The characters you typed might not match an existing entry in the column, or the characters might match two or more entries. For example, if you type AXY and the possible entries are "AXY1" and "AXY2," Microsoft Excel does not complete the entry.

To select the entry you want, press ALT+DOWN ARROW and select an entry from the list, or right-click the cell and then click Pick from list on the shortcut menu.

· Microsoft Excel bases the list of potential entries on the column that contains the active cell. If your entries are repeated within a row, not a column, the entries are not completed.
      · Microsoft Excel completes only text entries. Entries that contain only numbers, dates, and times are not completed.
      · Check the location of the active cell; it may be outside the current data region. For example, if the data region is the range of cells A1:E10, Microsoft Excel completes an entry typed in cell A11, even if the cell A10 above it is blank. However, Microsoft Excel does not complete an entry in cell A12, because that cell is outside the data region.

· If you are working in a large list, you may need to pause a moment to allow Microsoft Excel time to complete an entry.
      You need to use a combo box for your application.

Cheers
      HG
      1981 XJ550RH
      1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
      1978 XS1100F X Streem
      1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
      Jet/Mod Calculator
      Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Something like this.

Cheers
        HG
        1981 XJ550RH
        1978 XS1100F X Streem
        Jet/Mod Calculator
        Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Nice Spread......sheeeeeeit!

Thanks JW and HG,

Wow, HG, that's a nice looking app. Is that feature of the combo box only in Excel XP version vs. earlier versions? Did you make that app? Would you be willing to share it with the rest of us?

If so, you can email it to me, OR you can post a "LINK" to it if you're able to host it on a server somewhere, your choice?

You can email it to the ForumAdminXS11 "at" hotmail.com, thanks!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Wow, hey that does look good.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Re: Nice Spread......sheeeeeeit!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
              Thanks JW and HG,

Wow, HG, that's a nice looking app. Is that feature of the combo box only in Excel XP version vs. earlier versions? Did you make that app? Would you be willing to share it with the rest of us?

If so, you can email it to me, OR you can post a "LINK" to it if you're able to host it on a server somewhere, your choice?

You can email it to the ForumAdminXS11 "at" hotmail.com, thanks!
              T.C.
              To be honest, I downloaded it from somewhere ages ago and can't remember where I got it or who owns it. Am at work at the moment but will look at it again when I get home. I think it has a company logo on it somewhere so may be able to see if it can be modified and used. If so, I will send it on.

Combo box is in all versions of excel. Under VIEW TOOLBARS select CONTROL TOOLBOX and another toolbar will pop up. Lots of fancy tools on there.

Cheers
              HG
              1981 XJ550RH
              1978 XS1100F X Streem
              Jet/Mod Calculator
              Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Spreadsheet sent by email.
                1981 XJ550RH
                1978 XS1100F X Streem
                Jet/Mod Calculator
                Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Well,

Hired Goon put me on the right path, but I couldn't get the SpreadSheet formula to work with the Linked Cell and Combo box, BUT I was able to get it to work with a List Box, so I'll be able to fashion it that way. Thanks for the info and tips, will have it done fairly soon.

HG, I got your email, but there wasn't any attachment with it ! But that's okay, the one Jessie created is working out pretty good, just cleaning and jazzing it up a bit!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

Yea, I'm a dumb***, I will resend it anyway when I get home just so you can see how it works. IMO the combo box is a little friendlier on the user but I'll let you make the choice.

Cheers
                    HG
                    1981 XJ550RH
                    1978 XS1100F X Streem
                    Jet/Mod Calculator
                    Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

TC,
                      Will you be sharing this with the board? I will be checking my clearances in a few weeks as I begin to get the bike ready for summer again. It would be a nice tool to have.
                      Bauer
                      1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
                      Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
                      1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
                      Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

Valve shim calculator NOW AVAILABLE!

Originally posted by Bauer
                        TC,
                        Will you be sharing this with the board? I will be checking my clearances in a few weeks as I begin to get the bike ready for summer again. It would be a nice tool to have.
                        Why heck no, why should I ?

Okay, with Jessie's beginning, and then Hired Goon's and others assistance, I was able to modify it to work with our machines.

It has the older 78-79 looser tolerances as well as the 80-81 tighter ranges. It has both Metric and SAE functionality for those who don't have true Metric feeler gauges. However, those using SAE feelers may see and find a little more variance in final suggested shim sizes due to the less accuracy of calculations with SAE measurements, and the rounding down function of shim size selector!

But I certify it's accuracy until someone double checks my calculations and tells me otherwise!

You can Get the Calculator HERE by clicking to open and save once your Xcel prg opens it, or you can right click and save target as....your choice!

Let me know what you think. If it passes muster, then I'll permanently add it to the tech tips!
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Looks good so far TC, haven't had a chance to check the numbers yet, but will in the next day or so.

My next question would be, How many people don't have Excel. If there is a demand I can write something in VB as a stand alone application for those that don't.

I have written a couple of small apps before for bike related stuff but it does take a couple of weeks to do. Not worth doing for myself as I have excel but would be happy to do something for others if there is a need.

One example of a prog can be found Here
                          (still working on the XS1100 specs)
                          1981 XJ550RH
                          1978 XS1100F X Streem
                          Jet/Mod Calculator
                          Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Hey Goon,

Well, that's why wanted to use an old version of Xcel to make it, to be sure that it would work with as many versions as possible. I think I used version '97 !?

I would wait to see how many folks reply to this and whether they would want a standalone program vs. being able to use the Xcel version!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

That would be rad, but it sounds like A LOT of work.
                              but it does take a couple of weeks to do
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X