No announcement yet.

clunk!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is, actually, something you can do about the nuetral to first shift that was mentioned in a similar post a while back. Hold the clutch in for a few seconds or more before making the shift to allow things to stop spinning. I tried it and it does definately help.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

ANd if you are at a stand still, make sure that your engine is at idle RPM when you shift. (no "choke") And holding the clutch in longer helps too.

"Gitcha motor runin, head out on the high way"-Stepenwolf
      You gotta love em
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

OR....you can even just hit the kill switch, shift into 1st and then restart. Of course that takes some time, so not so good when waiting on a light change. Many folks don't shift into neutral when coming to a light, if they think it won't be that long, just stay in 1st and keep the clutch in!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yuppers I always hated that clunk going into first, sometimes a grindem if ya can't find them type of deal.One other trick I have found that works on my unit is to slip in to second and then back into first...don't ask why but it works most of the time for me.Other than that is has been a good tranny for me,but I ride like an old man any way:-) My not using the clutch thing,got used to doing that when I drove a truck.
          Hobbyman,the Wolf is still kicking after all these years......
          '80 XS1100 SG
          Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Working...
          X