clunk!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clunk!!!

I've heard xs1100s are clunkers when being put into 1st gear but my one i bought last week seems to clunk often through all the gears.
    is this typical or should i look at it ?
    Thanks.

Are you refering to the very heavy shifting? The trans on the 11 is more like a truck tanny, very solid.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Well 1st gear will make noise no matter what. Most of the rest is shifting technique. Sometimes my bikes do that and other times, it will feel very smooth. It all depends on how you do it
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

practice

So it's just a case of getting it right i guess.
        I'll practice.
        The clunking while i'm practicing won't hurt it will it?

Comment

Everyone does it once in a while. Assuming it isn't something wrong with the bike, a little practice won't hurt too much. When I was first learning to ride on my dad's XS, I did the usual stuff like forgetting the clutch a few times lurching the bike forward to an abrupt halt. His transmission is still ok many miles later after teaching me how to ride. I am sure it wasn't "good" for it, but the transmission are perfectly cabable of taking abuse once in a while. It is the repeat offenders which wear out the gears. And besides, eventually you will be looking at replacing/fixing the gears anyway. I am thinking about just stocking up on new gears so that when the time comes that I need them, price won't be such of a Huge item.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Generally they clunk if trying to shift too quick. Practice some "casual" shifts. Generally you can get them really smooth going slowly up through the gears in lower revs.

May also be worth checking clutch adjustment and lubing the cable. If the adjustment is not quite right the clunk can be caused by too much drag still in the drive train while shifting.
            1981 XJ550RH
            1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
            1978 XS1100F X Streem
            1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
            Jet/Mod Calculator
            Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

They do clunk shifting from neatral to first gear at a stop.
              Check your rpms at idle. The higher the rpms, the louder the clunck. Mine idles at 950 to 1000 rpm resulting at a very low clunck. if I put it 1100 rpm, the clunck is louder.

Dutchy
              Last edited by The Dutchy; 01-08-2007, 04:53 AM.
              Freedom is speaking the longing for life when the opinions of the ages inform your experience that death is all that awaits you.
              http://www.danasoft.com/sig/TheDutchy.jpg

Comment

Another thing that is soomon to Yamahas are the "false" nuetrals. AS you shift you need to be not so much quick as firm. If you are not careful you will end up with the bike feeling like the bike is an extra nuetral where one is not supposed to be.
                78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Meant to say common not soomon. Sorry
                  78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                  2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Originally posted by jeffe
                    Another thing that is soomon to Yamahas are the "false" nuetrals. AS you shift you need to be not so much quick as firm. If you are not careful you will end up with the bike feeling like the bike is an extra nuetral where one is not supposed to be.
                    That happens to me all the time. Scary as all hell when it happens when I'm trying to get on the highway. A firm shift is very important.

To the thread starter: I have to chime in with an afirmative: the tranny does make a very loud ka-chunk when shifting into first and this is normal. But don't call them clunky; most people describe them as bulletproof. Except for the 2nd gear issue.
                    Last edited by malber; 01-08-2007, 05:46 PM.
                    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

THe chatter clunk is normal from neutral to first as we all have pointed out and, shifting gears can be improved with practice, I thought id mention that the upward gear shift should be smoother than the neutral to first gear shift. if you are having XSive'ly hard gear changes make sure your carbs are sync'd and the rpm's drop properly when you clutch it. If it often that badly or miss tuned carbs can hold the revs a bit longer before dropping when you pull the clutch and cause a louder than normal clunk! I have mine tuned like a fine guitar and she shifts gear at any rev smoothly with no clunks at all.....its very pleasant to ride and race....BTW I do agree that practice will make you better but just check the Idle return when you clutch I think you'll be supprised....
                      1982 XS1100R
                      1982 XJ650
                      1983 VT400
                      1990 XVS Shadow
                      1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

if you don't want tranny to "clunk" at all.. hold throttle wide open and "Bang" the shifter...(power shift)kinda like power shifting a straight shift in a car ..hard to show someone how to do ..but comes easy once you "get it".. don't blame me if you wreck bike or screw up trans..just because i ride that way (sometimes) doesn't mean you need to....nothing you can do about some neutral to 1st gear clunk...but with some seat time you'll get to the point you can ease through the gears,even at lower throttle settings with nary a sound...haven't had a chance to ride in last month or so due to business issues...but i'm riding this saturday no matter what ....supposed to be 65

Comment

I've owned my XS for 23 years so I've had a little practice.
                          The boxes are a little clunky but with practice and knowing the bike you'll get it.
                          I also find doing clutchless changes also help, up and down the box.
                          Tom
                          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Mine cluncks a lot going into first but if I put it into first before I stop it doesn't. I am going to get beat up on my next statement,I use the clutch from first to second and after that on the up shifts I use or don't use the clutch...both are smooth as silk..not power shifting just a gentle nudge into the next gear...back off on the throttle and start applying pressure on the shifter..takes a little practice and it will slide into the next gear,no clunking or jerking.
                            Been riding the same bike for almost 27 years,kinda got the feel for it.
                            '80 XS1100 SG
                            Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Steppenwolf

I guess its something you do naturally when having ridden the same bike for a long time.

And it saves on clutches
                              Tom
                              1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                              1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                              1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                              1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                              X