X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wildkat
    [B]

Hey Tod, they have my FJ classified as a [i]sport tourer[/i

Here how you get the "touring bike" rate: Make a luggage rack out of 2" angle iron, paint it silver. Snag a milk crate from HEB and hose clamp it to the rack. Mount the rack to the bike with uni-strut and you have an instant tourer.

When I had a Kawasaki 1100 Spectre, I called my insurance guy and he quoted me around $250yr for liability only. When I queried him as to why so much more than my previous bike, he said the Kawasaki was considered a "Sport" bike. After going over the policy, I found he had listed the model as a GPZ1100, after he corrected that and punched in the Spectre model, the yearly policy dropped to $110 per year. I guess the shaft drive made a difference.

I know my rates were alot lower when I insured my Roadrunner as a Satellite.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

My insurance classifies my XJ as a Sport Bike...
      When I was 16 and looking for car insurance, I found out that I was lucky that I had the 4-door version of the VW Rabbit. They told me that if it was a 2-door, it would be considered a sports car. A friggin' 1979 VW Rabbit!!! A sports car. Riiiiiiiiight.
      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Oh yeah, that was in '95 too. Car was 16 y.o. as well.
        -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
        '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
        ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Here how you get the "touring bike" rate: Make a luggage rack out of 2" angle iron, paint it silver. Snag a milk crate from HEB and hose clamp it to the rack. Mount the rack to the bike with uni-strut and you have an instant tourer.
          OR... you could consider this option...

The Sport Tourist model...
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Coincidentally, it was high insurance costs that got me into motorcycling in the first place!

In 1978, auto insurance for a 21 yr old in Brooklyn, NY was over $2,000. (1978 dollars!). What's that worth now?

Kawa KZ400 was $400 a yr, still high but affordable. So I chose two wheels. The rest, as they say, is history. And I'm finally riding the bike I lusted after back then!

Comment

rates

I didn't see any posts about what coverage was given for a rate. I'm paying over $500 per year on two bikes. This is for $300,000 single limit liability through PROGRESSIVE. I've stuck with them because of the good experience I had several years ago when I needed them.

I got divorced last year and I've been left with no assets. I may significantly reduce my liability this year, but not until I discuss my risk with a lawyer.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Rates

Our coverage with Dairyland is $50,000... and as John said earlier... $130 for three bikes... quite a bit less on both sides of it than what you have...
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Mine is $256 and has:

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $61.00
                  BI $10,000 EACH PERSON - $20,000 EACH ACCIDENT
                  GUEST PASSENGER LIABILITY
                  $10,000 EACH PERSON - $20,000 EACH ACCIDENT
                  PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $10,000 EACH ACCIDENT $18.00
                  COMPREHENSIVE $100 DED AGREED VALUE $53.00
                  AGREED VALUE $2,500
                  COLLISION $100 DED AGREED VALUE $116.00
                  AGREED VALUE $2,500
                  ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE $8.00
                  1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                  1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                  http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I use USAA (military only). They have awesome rates and roadside for the cages, but for the bike no roadside
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

enough coverage?

I hardly worry about the bikes and cars. They're just stuff.

My friend's wife was hit from behind a few years ago. The driver had the minimum insurance that was legal. Her medical bills are over $100,000 and climbing due to spinal injury. She is not paralized at this time, but there is still a risk and more expensive surgery may be in her future.

There is a judgement against the young driver that is good for seven years. The judgement may be renewed at the time of expiration.

The insurance the young man carried did not even cover her new Volvo as I recall. That's why I carry as much liability as I can afford.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

I have Progressive, I haven't used them, but I know people who have had accidents with Gieco (who I had) and Progressive, and Progressive was generally better.

It works out to around 900 for the 3 bikes, with my 81 H being (By far) the most expensive of the three, but I was honest about the miles I put on (Something like 16k in a year).

The BMW, a sport-touring bike, is actually $100 less, and took nearly the same mailage (12k). Maybe 15 is the cut-off?
                        I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X