Motorcycle Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Insurance

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go (websites for instance) for getting insurance quotes?
    1981 XS1100SH

my $0.02

I have mine through Auto Owner's. But I'd say the best place will usually be through whoever you have your car/house insurance with.

In my experience, I've found that the multiple policy discounts are better than any random company. Check around your local area and ask the ins. agents what they could do for you. They deal with larger companies on a regular basis and know how they can work the system to your advantage.

But if you're looking for a name, I'm happy with Auto Owner's.
    -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
    ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Progressive.

Go to progressive.com and they'll even give competing company's quotes.

Comment

Progressive got too expensive for me, so I switched to Dairyland. I pay about $130 a year for liability on three bikes.

Comment

Progressive was the cheapest for me - apparently you can get full coverage with a low deductible for cheap on these old things.
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I have Progressive, not by choice, but they are one of the few motorcycle insurers licensed in Colorado. State Farm will insure bikes if you have an auto policy with them. Farmers will also, but price is considerably higher than Progressive. FYI, I pay about $110.00 (I think, went up last year. Used to be around $90.00.) Rates will vary state to state, even with the same company. Insurance companies have to be approved by the state and meet state requirements. My current policy provides for free helmet replacement, something I didn't have in other states. If you ride solo you can sometimes get a better rate, policy price goes up if you carry a passenger. If you have another source of medical insurance be sure to specify a policy with no medical. I have increased property damage on my policy, minimus are pretty useless and this is something you want to look at. I have no replacement, if the bike is in a serious accident it probably won't be repaired. You can also choose to insure or not insure add-on items, like a fairing or windshield. In short, get an agent who will go through all you options or get a quote that suits your situation.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

We have Geico and pay about $250 per year for three bikes,full-coverage.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Progressive, $78.00 year for one bike, liability and unisured motorist only. Your prices may vary depending on age, driving history and location of bike. I had GMAC but they do not insure bikes in Texas.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

they advertise in friction zone ( free publicaton) for cheap
                  "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I use a company that I was referred to. Strictly Cycles or something along those lines. They specialize in motorcycles(obviously), but will do houses, cars, whatever.... I pay about $90 for liability and uninsured motorist. Keep in mind that I am 17. I was looking around and some companies quoted me at over $500 per year. My Dad and I would have used the regular auto insurance, but every time that my someone in my family(not mentioning any names cough cough mom cough cough) had an accident, I would not be able to pay my insurance.
                    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
                      I use a company that I was referred to. Strictly Cycles or something along those lines. They specialize in motorcycles(obviously), but will do houses, cars, whatever.... I pay about $90 for liability and uninsured motorist. Keep in mind that I am 17. I was looking around and some companies quoted me at over $500 per year. My Dad and I would have used the regular auto insurance, but every time that my someone in my family(not mentioning any names cough cough mom cough cough) had an accident, I would not be able to pay my insurance.
                      hey hobbyman,
                      your'e a cool kid with some brains, friendly as well just wan't to say hey to you, you diff keep it interesting
                      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                      History
                      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                      79 yamaha xs1100f
                      03 honda cbr 600 f4
                      91 yamaha fzr 600
                      84 yamaha fj 1100
                      82 yamaha seca 750
                      87 yamaha fazer
                      86 yamaha maxim x
                      82 yamaha vision
                      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I am apparently going to have to check around. I just assumed that Farmers who I have 3 cars and 2 houses with would be the cheapest. At $160 a year for just liabilty.. apparently they aren't! lol I just paid for the year last week too &*%(&%$ .. lol.

For people carrying "Uninsured motorist".... just realize that this insurance doesn't cover your bike if you have an accident. Unisured motorist is for medical claims only for you if the other person was under or non-insured. It's really a misleading name. If you have decent medical insurance, you may be wasting your money... but it's your call.

Now.... tomorrow I will be making a few phone calls. My insurance classifies my XJ as a Sport Bike... wonder if there's a way to get that changed? If it was classified as a tourer it would probably be less for me.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

My insurance classifies my XJ as a Sport Bike... wonder if there's a way to get that changed? If it was classified as a tourer it would probably be less for me.
                          Hey Tod, they have my FJ classified as a sport tourer... It's been awhile since we compared... but there was HUGE difference between the sport and sport tourer. I think it's about the same for the XS as for the FJ...

Are XJs normally classified as sport?
                          81 SH Something Special
                          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                          80 LG Black Magic
                          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                          For those on FB

Comment

I can't rember what my bikes were classified. Can you really put a price tag on what it takes to fix one of these bikes? That being the case, I would rather save the money that I would be spending each year on insurance, then if I do have an accident, I will then have the money to deal with it my self. AS you may know, there are some cases that insurance companies don't fee like paying a cent. Later on, when I have a decent job, I might opt for more coverage, but as it stands right now, I will survive with what I have now. I can see that with a newer bike that parts are available on, you might want to have the full blown coverage.
                            Thanks Mason89. If I wasn't this way, I would be insane. Wait, maby I already am?
                            Now I really have to do that calculus project for tomorrow. Dangit
                            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

That being the case, I would rather save the money that I would be spending each year on insurance, then if I do have an accident, I will then have the money to deal with it my self.
                              I can certainly understand your point, HobbyMan... and as long as someone has a supplemental health coverage, that's great... When John had his accident last year... it would have been a major disaster if we hadn't had health insurance. Motorcycle insurance paid for the guy's truck... but being only liability... wouldn't touch John's EXTREMELY expensive medical... or any repairs to the bike (which, luckily... were minimal... these things are REALLY well built).
                              Can you really put a price tag on what it takes to fix one of these bikes?
                              YES... several of them... especially windshields...
                              Now... sentimental value? never...

As for calculus... I took AP calculus in high school but dropped it in favor of other endevours... revisited it in college and finally figured out that calculus was the binding factor for all other math forms... calculus is what makes all other math (algebra, trigonometry, elementary analysis, etc...) make sense...
                              Of course, that was long ago in a land far away (okay... Arlington... not so far away)... and I have forgotten more than I learned... so nothing makes sense anymore.
                              81 SH Something Special
                              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X