North American XS/XJ rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North American XS/XJ rally

I was just thinkin' has anyone ever toyed with the idea of a North American XS/XJ rally here in the US?

They do 'em in Europe all the time, and the Hardly boys have several a year here in the US.

Why not a North American XS/XJ Rally? How cool would that be to get all of us together for a few days?

Of course, it would not be limited to the most awesome bikes in the world, the XS/XJs! Anybody riding anything could come along.

greg
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Sounds good. Somewhere smack in the middle, like Kansas City?

Comment

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, another road trip!!!!!!

Sounds like a capitol idea. Would require alot of planning, plenty of time in advance for finishing all the triple cleans and paint jobs and clutch jobs SOME people have been putting off.

I'd be up for it. I could even be coaxed into helping. Would be totally cool to get a big group of XS/XJ's together. Would truly be an "eXSsive" getogether.
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

It sounds like a GREAT idea to me! Unless things change, would some one be able to tow me there?? lol..

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I could always reinstall the trailer hitch on the old 78E.
          78E ... Gone but not forgotten
          2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Or Stillwater Oklahoma. Everybody pitch tents and build campfires right in Maximan's yard!! lol..

I honestly think we should pick a spot that's centrally located AND has some place nice to ride (Meaning twisties!) But.... honestly... I'll meet in the flattest desert if that's where you guys choose.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

For the ride, maby everyone from every state join up before leaving the state. Then each group from every state rides to the rally together. Probably isn't feasable, but just a thought. Maby this summer would be a good time. I would definitely go.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

I agree with Tod, we all meet at Cody's, and he can follow me back to the coast after the ralley. That way, he won't feel left out about the 1,800 or so mile ride.
                As far as the riders from each state, some of us live in states that are a little too long to try and all get together. we counl all converge on the Colorado State Line from the west coast.....
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

To jump to another thread... lol... Wouldn't that piss off a few Harley riders to find out they waved to a whole PACK of those Yammer Hammers?!?

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

What about the Ozarks?

The Ozarks is pretty central in the US. The Northern Arkansas area, Boston Mountains, is VERY twisy. The Buffalo and the Mullberry rivers are beautiful and afford lots of camping and cabins. I lived in Springfield, MO and used to backpack, climb, and canoe around there. Some very scenic stuff.
                    I am sure we could put together some XSive scenic and twisty rides!
                    JimBoReeno
                    My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                    '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                    '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                    2000 Indian Chief
                    Millennium Edition

Comment

But....I ain't picky....I will do ANYTHING central!
                      JimBoReeno
                      My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                      '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                      '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                      2000 Indian Chief
                      Millennium Edition

Comment

The challenges of getting enough time off and riding over a thousand miles oneway on these old steeds has led to having more regional meetings. When I first signed on in '97, there was one rally in Chama, NM, and there have been major and minor rallies since then.

The ones that succeed are because one guy steps up and says "I will host the rally at this place at this time. Camp at my place or at this campground. I have arranged these rides and we'll see these sights. I have arranged these meals, feel free to throw in some money to offset the expense." The "we oughta get together..." rallies almost never materialize. Even the local rides take place because someone takes ownership and makes it happen.

More practically, it makes more sense to have an XS East and an XS West. This keeps the ride down to about a grand oneway and recognizes the population clusters on each coast. Eastern Colorado is the nearest we have to being central and having some good twisty roads, But Nevada works for the west and West Virginia seems to work for the East. I am planning to take charge of a California rally near Yosemite. We'll meet on Friday, take a local Yosemite and Gold Country ride on Saturday, and a long day trip to the coast on Sunday, with people peeling off as they near their home routes.

One thing I've always wondered about is why we get together after a long ride, then spend each day on a long ride, then take a long ride home. I'd like to sit around a fire, drinking and talking, and get to know the guy on the other end of the modem. So Saturday will be short and local. It would be nice to have some XS workshops, too. Practical experience at carb tuning and such would be invaluable. Plus, seeing some of these bikes makes you humble about your own ride. Others give you a chance to point and laugh.
                        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo
                          ................... It would be nice to have some XS workshops, too. Practical experience at carb tuning and such would be invaluable. Plus, seeing some of these bikes makes you humble about your own ride. Others give you a chance to point and laugh.
                          An excellent Idea. I can see pictures and read about this stuff all week and not know for sure if I am doing something right or wrong.

I think, also, that a national rally would be great, but LoHo makes some good points as to why regional ones work better. That being said, I would love to attend a rally in the Ozarks area. My XS won't be ready by then, but I can ride the GW.
                          1979 XS1100 SF
                          Under Construction,
                          Due out by Spring '07
                          "Some days, it ain't even worth chewing through the restraints."

TomKat

Comment

I threw out a suggestion at the Tahoe rally that everyone should get together at Bob Jones' "XS11 Heaven". Not so much to pay homage to Bob Jones but the XS11.

Using his store as a rally point for a No. America rally would be cool. If HD riders can do it for Sturgis or Daytona, why can't we?
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I think this would be a great idea. That would be cool to have some workshops. AS far as east and west rallies, we have plenty of NE, NW, SC and many other regional rallies. Impromptu rallies like the Tallimena rally have been known to happen too. I think it wouldn't be too difficult to nave a National rally. Seriously, when would I ever get a chance to meet all of the other fellow XSives from other parts of the Country. If I had a place in the central United States, I would volunteer to let everyone stay there. As it happens, I don't, so maby someone has a place to stay. Would the majority be camping or using motels? If people would camp, then all we need is some fields and good roads.
                              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X