I see we have our next new Guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tommystinson
    but I can hear the geartrain whine from the shaft drive and imagine it's K.I.T.T. LOL!
    Hehehe

But that is one of the things I love about these bkes. Some people think I'm nuts but I love to hear that gear spin! It does kinda sound like a turbo.

Comment

Gear whine?

Gear whine? Our bikes have gear whine? Ican't hear no stinking gear whine!
      E.Liberty

What!!!
      Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
      I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

There's an easy way to hear it. Drain the oil out of the middle and rear drives. You'll hear it soon enough! LOL
        2010 Kawasaki Z1000
        1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Re: Gear whine?

Originally posted by E.Liberty
          Gear whine? Our bikes have gear whine? Ican't hear no stinking gear whine!
          E.Liberty

What!!!
          Ed...you're showing your age.

I can't hear it anymore either...but I'll never admit that.

Comment

Ahhhh! Gear Whine

It it better served with beef, or fish?

The mechanical symphony! I love it.
            Wildkat and I went for a ride today, both of us on XS's.
            Me on Twilite Special, and her on Foster Child. Today was a beauty of a day. Mid 60's, light northerly wind and plenty of sunshine. I have found that sweet spot where all sounds sort of balance out. It's about 55 mph. The exhaust sort of fades away, the whirring of the cams comes up, and the trans and middle gears are all in harmony in their mechanical whine. With the small amount of wind noise that I hear behind the windshield, every little sound is clear. Since balancing the carbs, and re-adjusting the cam chain, the bike idles smooth, and pulls like a freight train. It's so easy to get lost in one's thoughts when riding on a nice curvy road, with very little oncoming traffic, and the music of the drive train playing in your ears. The bike just sort of flows around the curves with no input, other than my thoughts. I think turn, and it does. After 14 years of riding that bike, I think it kinda knows me. All I have to do is think about turning, and it does it.

Comment

John

off this topic, but, is there a detailed thread on here of when you took your (twilite spcl)motor apart and rebuilt/repainted? Looks like your wife said you used VHT paint, brushed or sprayed on?

And Maximan, a special bike build dedicated to your recent guru status.

Thanks

Theron
              Yamaniac
              '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
              '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
              '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
              '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
              '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Do I dare ask?

Where are the petcocks?

Yamanaic
                Here's a few threads I wrote about the Big Bore Job. There is also a link to some pics in one of the posts.
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=4124
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=4346
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=4350

Comment

And Maximan, a special bike build dedicated to your recent guru

Hey Yamaniac,
                  is that bike FULLY functional, if so

originally posted by John
                  Where are the petcocks?
                  Could be "operator" provided
                  Back door ride!

mro

Comment

Nice bike...

but do you think the gear whine is worse with this one?
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Gear whine

DAMN, MAYBE IF I HAD BAFFELS IN MY BIKES PIPES I COULD HEAR THAT GEAR WHINE.
                      Oops, sorry I'm yelling, I just got off my bike.
                      E.Liberty
                      Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                      I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Re: "Cut the guy some slack."

Originally posted by prometheus578
                        Some people really need their internet delusions of grandeur.
                        This is just poor Maximan's way of coping after a lifetime of mockery.
                        His projected internet personna is all that he has to hold on to.

Show a little compassion.
                        Is that all there is to a................Guru?
                        81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

'Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Is that all there is to a................Guru?
                          What... isn't that enough?

I can't hold it in any longer. Dan, and mostly everyone else on this site, you have been deceived.
                          There are no Gurus here... at least not in the sense that you think.
                          It has always been me! Me and my shadow (and quite a large one I cast)
                          Sitting in my reenforced chair, typing away... laughing at your questions and petty electrical problems. I feed off of your frustrations, and with each post I grow more bloated and powerful.
                          No one exists here. No Ken, no T.C. Maximan, MRO, John, Skids... they are all figments of my imagination. Even that pompus, pig-head Prometheus doesn't exist. (He was just a charactor I invented to mock and antagonize others)
                          I am the chosen one, the Master of the XS. I am the fount of all knowledge. The sayer of truth and carb tuning. I answer all the questions on this site, big or small. I give all the advice. And for that... you worship me and provide sacrifices.
                          All the free beer that you all have been sending to the helpful "Gurus" gets cross-shipped directly to me.
                          The virgins, I keep on a long chain.
                          I am the Jabba the Hutt of the motorcycle universe.

(I see by my records, Mr. Hodges, that you're a little behind on your beer donation. I will be expecting a six-pack offering in the mail from you shortly. Use my "Prometheus" address this time for your shipment)
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Correction

Make that a bottle of Hennissy, (starting to get cold)
                            and change the P rometheus" address to mro please........

mro
                            btw, wtf are these strings doing here

Comment

No Ken, no T.C. Maximan, MRO, John, Skids... they are all figments of my imagination.
                              Which brings to mind one question... What do I tell the kids? All this time we thought he was real... He looks real... feels real. Now to find out he is a figment of your imagination?

Does this mean the voices are real too?
                              81 SH Something Special
                              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Time to take your pills Pro

Its OK, Pro thinks we are jealous because all of the voices are just talking to him. Typical symptomatic behavior with most schizophrenic episodes. Fear not. It will pass when the medication takes hold in a couple of days.
                                wingnut
                                81 SH (Daily Ride)
                                81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                                81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                                82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                                81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                                X