We Have Construction!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC,

I would place the Diagonals at 90 degree angles to the studs if you want to use them. That makes for convenient places to hang shelves or hooks. You could get by without using the diaganonals if you place enough wood screws through the OC boards into the studs.
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Yes you can get by without them if do as said above. If you do that, you are essentially using the exterior as an exoskeleton/ brace, though it won't work as well. As long as you don't expect extreemly high winds you should be ok without them. Store bought units don't have them because they nail the heck out of them, and they usually build them as cheap as possible If you really felt that you needed them, you could put in a few boards from the lower left corner of one stud and then the upper right of the next stud. then repeat the process a few times. Just rember from geometry class, the triangle is stronger than the square. I really want to see the finished product! If yours works out and it isn't too expensive let me know and I will build my own. I fear that I am now out of garage space. I have to pull the bikes out on the driveway to work on them.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

"T.C.'s bad example"

Ya know, T.C., I don't get you... don't get you a'tall.
        Regardless of what it is you're doing: cleaning carbs, disassembling master cylinders, and now building a shed, everything always looks so neat and bloody tidy!
        You give do-it-your-selfers a bad name.
        Have you any idea just what you have done, man?
        I know for a fact that there are many on this site who wanted to build a shed "just like T.C. did", but have cancelled their dreams once you posted pics of your project.
        "Honey... I've decided not to build my shed after all. I fear that I may leave scrap lumber lying about... and that's just not proper."
        or
        "Joe... I thought you were gonna build a shed?"
        "Yeah, but it just ain't worth the trouble. I figger... If I gots to stop workin' ever five minutes to search for ever dern nail I drop in the grass, like T.C. does, I'll ne'er get done."
        To help with your recovery, T.C., here's how an on-going "do-it-yourself" project should look.
        Wheel barrows lying on their sides, plastic lawn chairs used as saw horses, old fence lumber lying about next to the new fence lumber, old, rusty coils of "dog fencing" leaning against the house, empty cement bags windblown across the yard, remnants of my 'new' tool belt/pouch mixed with the remains of my 'new' leather work gloves that the dogs thought were rawhide chew toys... One thing you won't see, though, is dropped nails lying on the ground. (The grass is too high for that!)
        T.C., as a respected member of the XS community, you need to drop this "Felix Unger" routine and get with the program.

(As my fence project is still on-going, I thought it prudent to post one of my "Yard Guardians" by the old gate to ward off lumber thieves)
        [IMG][/IMG]
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEJEEPLAB
          I would place the Diagonals at 90 degree angles to the studs if you want to use them.
          Hmm, If you placed a something at 90 degrees to something, wouldn't that make it a perpendicular?
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Good catch. I wanderd that myself
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Well.........was gona post but my photo's ain't working

mro
              Last edited by mro; 09-18-2006, 11:23 PM.

Comment

You dont wanna see my fence project.

LP
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I personally would recommend adding diagonal bracing. If it were me doing it, I'd place the top of the diagonal in the top corner and go to the bottom of the stud that is 24" away (even cutting it in half to get by that stud and going to the bottom of the stud 48" away. -just make sure to secure them ...um, securely). And I'd do it on both walls at all four corners.

This is going back to my Structures class in school, so I'm kind of digging, but... A 90 degree brace would only prevent the studs from buckling in a certain direction (x-axis only). The main reason for the bracing is to give forces (e.g. wind load (horozontal), snow load (vertical), or any possible combination of forces that could be exerted on the structure) a path to travel along into the ground. Anything is stronger along it's axis; this scheme allows for both axis on any wall.

If you have the bracing like this, you'll prevent torsion, and moment forces from overcoming the integrity of the wood (read: busted up shed)

I've never built a shed, or anything other than a deck for my dorm room, but this is what I recall from a theoretical aspect. Take it for what you will. BTW, it looks great.
                  -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                  '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                  ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

SHED???

SHED???? BEEN CROSS COUNTRY A WEEK.....CHANUTE,KS...BY THE WAY ,THEY CAN KEEP CHANUTE...DROVE STRAIGHT BACK TO GOOD OLE VA 24 HRS STRAIGHT...WHEN I LEFT YOU WERE GOING TO BUILD A BUILDING,NOT A CLOSET...WHAT DID I MISS SOMEWHERES. THANKS IF YOU FILL ME IN !!
                    BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Comment

Foundation

Hi T.C.
                      nice shed. Are all your outbuildings that colour or is just that one so you can say, "Look in the blue shed"?
                      Think about jacking it up just enough to slide some patio blocks underneath the outer frame to keep the base structure from direct contact with the ground.
                      Even pressure treated lumber don't rot out as quick if it's kept off the ground.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Leon,

Well, my visions of grandeur came back down to earth, and SWMBO told me she didn't need or want to park in the garage, and since all of my power toys and cement floor and outlets, etc. are already in the GARAGE, I decided to keep it, and just make a smaller(more realistic Xpectations) SHED to put the Xstraineous stuff that is cluttering up the GARAGE, so that I can have more room to work on my bike(s) and such. Didn't have to pour a cement floor, don't have to run electrical conduit to the shed, or get an electrician, or even a building permit!!

Hey Prom, my grass was fairly high also, that's why you can't see all of the sawed off pieces laying around the workmate bench in the "TRUSS" photo. I'll take a photo of my garage before I clean it up and post it to help you feel better about me, I'm not as ANAL as I seem...an As*hole sometimes , but that's a different subject!

Erik, thanks for the proper "slant" on the positioning of the diagonals. I did take analytic geometry in HS, so sorry BlueJeepLab, but I realized that 90 degrees was a perpendicular angle vs. 60 or so degrees needed for spanning 2feet by 8feet rectangle! I'll be putting them in soon before I get to finishing the roof...my lactic acid has just about been flushed from my leg muscles, so I can once again kneel without wincing!

Fred, the Hardiboard I could get a LOWES was primed in that BlueGray color, I'll be painting it the almond/cream color to match the house, along with the forest green trim! I saw a fellow up the street that has placed his little shed on some cement flats, had thought about that, but I would have to lay a complete 8'x12' grid out to support the floor beams as well=$$, so hopefully the Pressure Treated stuff will last for a while, they are not burried into the ground, but I know the grass will die, and may eventually turn to DIRT, or MUD as the weather happens!?!?
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

"What shall... we use... to fill... the empty.. spaces...."
                          (Pink Floyd: The Wall)
                          I'll take a photo of my garage before I clean it up and post it to help you feel better about me,
                          Ah, T.C., you know how it is. The more storage space one has, the more gas tanks, fairings, and dead bodies one acquires. The cycle never ends! [IMG][/IMG]
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Well TC, I always have a bunch of projects that I either should do, or just would like to do, and I generally wind up watching football games, mowing grass, going for a ride or anything but those projects! Congratulations on your quick progress! When in doubt, overbuild it a bit. Looks good!
                            80 SG
                            81 SH in parts
                            99 ST1100
                            91 ST1100

Comment

TC,

For cross bracing, I have also seen them use thin metal strapping about 2" wide in an "X" pattern on each wall and screwed to each stud. That way, no matter which way the wind blows, it is pulling against one of those straps. It also keeps a flat profile against the wall in case you were ever going to cover the studs. I prefer screws over nails... won't work loose over time, but that's just me.

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

cheds

Front is 4, 4 foot doors, roof corrigated, frame and bottom made from left over pallets. (2X6's w/scrub oak 4X4's) Have yet to paint front

on concret pad right side and paving stones under left

Don't have anyone hanging around my garage (no room) nor a topless midget Yard Guardian, do have this.......so wear ankle protection should you jump my fence.

mro

Comment

Working...
                                X