Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Have Construction!

Hey there Folks,

Just wanted to provide an update on my SHED building project, and we all know how we love photos, so I took a few!

First, got off work 5pm Friday, went directly to LOWES, and started shopping, filled out the truck rental app, and then proceeded to FILL 2 of those wood carts FULL of supplies, along with a basket! By then it was 8pm! Went back to Cust. Svce, dumbas* white trash FAT customer was filling out a credit app. but the Employee tried to work with me inbetween, went thru 2 sets of keys...that didn't fit the only truck they had left, had to call a manager, bring the MASTER key, finally got the truck at 8:30pm.

They close at 10pm! I only live 7 hwy miles away, but was getting a bit tired not having eaten dinner yet, so I was able to get one of the employees to assist me in loading the supplies into the truck, took 15 minutes! Got it home, drove up onto the lawn beside the house. Was actually easier to unload the supplies since I merely had to pull them off the truck and let them drop on the ground.

But, I received my first injury by mistepping as I walked off of the rising pile, and twisted my right ankle! But got it unloaded by 9:15, had to gas it up, then back to turn it back in, didn't have to pay for any overtime! Rental=$19.95 + $6.00 gas beats their $60.00 delivery fee!!

I won't print a list of supplies YET, but you can see just how much!

Here I am decked out with my NEW Toolman belt hammer holder/multiple nail pouch/and other slot/pockets!! I later figured where to store the carpenter's pencil!

Okay, here's the 4x6x12 length treated lumber runners and the 2x4x8 cross beams and other framing studs layed out, I cut the cross beams to length later!

I started on this around 9 am, had the frame up by 2:30pm!
    BTW, I'm 6'6" tall, you'll notice the head clearance of the top rails, NO WIMPEE barely 6' tall shed for me!!

Due to the siding pattern on the main house with horizontal strips, I decided to do the same with the 8" OC Hardiboards, this was the technique I used to put the second one up. I used two 2x4's wedged just at the top edge of the first panel, then layed the second panel down, and slid it up, and flipped it into position, it would drop down and catch on it's mating seam, then I would pull the 2x4 up, and rewedge it against the now positioned upper panel to hold it in place, then I would proceed to nail it on!!

Here's the 25/32's OSB 4'x8' panels floor after the 3 panels were laid. I wanted to keep the full 8' long floor space on the inside, so that caused my framing to be a little wider on the ends than the length of my side panels, but I'll be adding some 1x4x8 trim pieces sealed and painted as accents!

This was the end of the first day(Saturday), it was raining/drizzling on and off most of the day, but it came a heavier rain around 7pm, so I called it quits!
    The Second day(SUNDAY) was planned for the roof! Here's the first trellis? in place, I got "fairly" good at using the roofing square to layout the 22.5 degree and 77.5 degree cuts needed to make the roof beams, then used some 7/16" OSB for the extra center brace, was left over from the ripping of the 60" sections from the SIX 4x8 panels I had for the roof! You can see the other fabbed trellis and panels against the shed!

And here's the shed with the ROOF complete as far as I could get to, all the trellis nailed, all 6 panels on, YES, the roof does have a slight DIP in the middle...it's a real PITA to get those trellis ALL exactly even!! Thankfully 7/16" OSB is forgiving, and I was able to secure it down anyways!!!!

Not bad progress for 2 days for a TOTAL do it MYSELF, no help from anybody during the whole thing! Sorry, just had to toot my horn!
    Only other physical injuries are a partial purple left index finger tip and nail , and only 1 blister on my right index finger....ah, so that's what work gloves are for!! I won't call the Lactic Acid buildup in my legs an injury, just an expected side effect.....BTW, can someone call me crane to help me get up out of my computer chair and into bed!!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Ummm...... a door?

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

It's not much of a project if it doesn't involve band-aids!

The shed would be MUCH more impressive with a story about a pneumatic nailer gone wild!

Seriously...looks great and seems to have gone up without much of a hitch!
      JimBoReeno
      My Ex!"Half-Breed"
      '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
      '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
      2000 Indian Chief
      Millennium Edition

Comment

Hey Tod,

If you'll look closely at the 5th and 6th photos, you'll see a larger gap in the framing in the center of the long left side facing the house/deck...that's where the door WILL BE! I still have to build it, but wanted to get the roof up, need to paper and shingle it tomorrow before storms on Tuesday!

Most of the other doors on the other premade sheds are about 2' wide, but are double swinging for total of 4' wide opening. Being the cheap bast....er..frugal guy I am, planning on making ONE 4' wide door, about 7' high. I hope the 6' long piano hinge I got will support it?
        T.C.

PS, at least it's not as complicated as an XS petcock!!
        Got your "Story", but you can see why I haven't had much time to reply!
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Looking good TC. how's it anchored to the ground?
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Thanks Rob,

Uh....mostly by gravity! IT's just sitting on those 4x6x12 Pressure Treated rails, and the other Nine 2x4x8 cross beams. We don't get tornados, and rarely hurricanes, but if one does head our way, I'll probably need to pour some concrete ANCHORS to latch it to!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham

Comment

"Time to nit-pick the pics!"

Get rid of the hat, T.C.. Looks like you're at an Amish barn raising. (I'll send you my Afrika Korp pith helmet that I wear on my riding lawnmower)

I later figured where to store the carpenter's pencil!
              Good. Most people who carry pencils in their pockets like that usually end up storing them in their neck somewhere.

Now that I'm done with the harrassment...
              Outstanding job, T.C.. got quite a bit done rather quickly. Fly out here and help me build a shack fer my generator. I take too many smoke breaks... and usually end up changing the design as I go along.
              Terminology: A trellis is usually a lattice-work frame for growing vines and such. That roof support frame is a truss. (Not that I'm a construction expert... but there's a company down the road that makes them, and their trucks say "Joe's Truss Company, or something like that)
              Again... nice job!
              Oh... you may want to add a vent or two to the roof or under the eaves somewhere.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

If the doors are made like mine you need some heavy hinges. I built some HEAVY 3x7 doors made from 5grain Plywood and a 2x4 frame with diags. I have the 2x4's glued on with liquid nails with BIG countersunk carriage bolts going through plywood and 2x4's. The old doors rotted away long ago and these new ones have lasted for many years. BTW: do you have any diag bracing in the walls? The roof can't hold it all together. High winds can cause some torsion forces and without diag bracing, it could all just twist and fall right to the ground. My uncle built/is building a similar structure using a concrete base with floating walls. He, instead of using wood diagnals, used tensioned cable to act a diagnal braces. My shed is built similarly on the rails. It is made so that it can be towed by a tractor for small distances
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Cool! Great work!
                  CUAgain,
                  Daniel Meyer
                  Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                  Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I see no beverages on the jobsite. That has to be a violation of one of the man laws.
                    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

No beverages... but pic #5 shows a can of "Pringles", or something, on the work table.
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578
                        No beverages... but pic #5 shows a can of "Pringles", or something, on the work table.
                        not pringles, but LAYS. another man law is multiple LAYS for lunch (or sometimes referred to as nooner).

Comment

The most important thing in any of those pictures is the radio (and thus the tunes) in the first pic.

No good has ever come from any human endeavor that didn't involve tunes.
                          CUAgain,
                          Daniel Meyer
                          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Must always have music. Hendrix, Beatles, Petty, and all the other goodies.
                            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Prom,

I knew it started with a "T" and ended with an "S", but just couldn't remember the rest!! Thanks for the terminology lesson!

Yes, radio a MUST, on the Classic rock station of course!

Webb, the first photo shows my insulated bottle sitting on the Trash can, filled with SPRITE....sorry, never acquired taste for beer, still got dehydrated anyways!! The Lays chips were to help replenish my electrolytes and a few carbs as well!

HobbyMan, as I have stated, I don't know much about construction processes! The wall studs are on 24" intervals. How and where would I place the diagonals to strengthen the stability and rigidity factor? The examples of similar prebuilt and kit sheds didn't have any in them!? Thanks!

I'm taking a break today, was barely able to go to work, the lactic acid was pretty heavy in my legs, made it difficult to get up and down onto the exam stools/chairs we use during our patient exams!
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                              X