No announcement yet.

How Secure is your Bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puttin' the bikes in the motel room is a lot quicker than having to pull the trunk and remove the saddlebags each night. Thievery aside... I just don't want someone dickin' with my machine overnight and leaving me stranded in Toad Squat, Utah.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I always keep my battery run down so that the "wrrr...wrrr...wrrr" of the starter barely turning alerts me to the danger.
      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

This disc lock just arrived today. I love it! It is a good heavy chunk of steel with a good lock. It looks nice, and it fits across our discs without having to drill them. Plus they are cheap!

Ebay Item

If that link doesn't work, it is item 120031415018 on Ebay. They have some for @ 15 bucks including shipping if you look for them.

Tod
        Last edited by trbig; 09-18-2006, 06:39 PM.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have a nice bright red one like that with the coiled reminder from the lock to the handlebar.
          I used to use a padlock but forgot to remove it once . The bike fell over almost trapping me between the bike and a wall. The lock bent and almost couldn't get it off.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Way back when I had a ground floor apartment with double doors. It had prviously been the business office. Anyway I was able to squeeze the bike I was riding inside for work during the winter. I'd slide the couch over to one side and cover the floor with cut up cardvoard boxs. Hoever is was so I could work on it in a warm and dry place.

The Mongrel is probably the rattyest bike in the neighboorhood and I'm the best armed... The cheap alarm I have on it has only been set off from the vibes of the garbage truck. Having the Mongrel ripped off is the least of my worries.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Having the Mongrel ripped off is the least of my worries.
              Oh yeah!?!?!? Where exactly do you live again?? I wonder if they don't prosecute bike thefts THERE also?? lol. Since YOU own that bike, I can only assume everything ELECTRICAL works great on it!

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                Oh yeah!?!?!? Where exactly do you live again?? I wonder if they don't prosecute bike thefts THERE also?? lol. Since YOU own that bike, I can only assume everything ELECTRICAL works great on it!
                Tod
                I also said that I'm the best armed in my neiborhood.

The electrics work fine. It's the clutch that's the problem at the moment. (

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

my new house has no garage so it sits outside(in the back yard).. I have not got to touch it since hurricane rita came thru.. i could leave the key in it and watch the fun of someone trying to steal it.. front wheel wont turn, dead battery and 3 dogs... atleast SWMBO said i could build a ramp to get it on the front porch when i'm done with the house... good thing i put a 4x6 under that section of deck for support... did i mention the .357 in the night stand...lol
                  Shawn
                  78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                  78 XS1100E Parts
                  www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Working...
                  X