How Secure is your Bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Secure is your Bike?

With the recent post of a stolen bike I was wondering what XSive lengths we go to to keep our bikes safe.

Above is a poll. You can check all that apply (enter in more than one catagory).

In my case I <a> lock my handlebars and <b> use a disc lock and <c> park it in a garage.
    Unlocked, left in the open (who wants an old bike anyway?)
    16.42%
    Handlebars/forks locked (OEM lock)
    14.93%
    Wheel/disc lock
    7.46%
    Alarm system
    2.99%
    Parked in a garage/shed
    56.72%
    Locked to a solid object
    1.49%
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

I used to lock the handlebars and that was about it. Got a cheap alarm now that sounds like a bunch of really pissed off chickens. Really!
    Gonna get me a bit better one for the 1.1

LP

PS: And theyre both parked in a garage...
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Years ago I had a cool way for locking my bike at home, a duplex with no garage but a backyard.
      I attached a heavy-duty chain (need a torch to cut it) to a old car rim. I buried the rim about 4 feet underground. I ran the chain through a hole in a full sheet of 1 inch thick plywood. The bike was parked on the plywood and the chain was locked to the bike. There was also a German Shepard and a Doberman in the same backyard. This was a bad neighborhood and no one ever messed with the bike.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Are you kidding Pat? Who in the world would want my beat up 25 year motorcycle? Seriously...they are NOT collector items except to those of us that worship at Temple Eleven.

I am utterly amazed that some crackhead stole Posthuman's bike. He must of been a crackhead. Who else would risk jail over an Eleven...........besides me.

Comment

I guess it all depends upon where you live. In SE Idaho where there are more firearms per capita than anywhere else in the country, the crime rate is pretty low comparitively. I know people who leave there cars unlocked with the keys in the car. We have a pretty bad meth problem here but fortunately, they seem to prefer stealing from family and friends because there is less chance of the theft being reported. My house doesn't even have a driveway so my car is parked on the curb and the bike is parked on the sidewalk leading to the house. My front porch looks more like a garage than a porch at the moment. The bike has been left out with only a cover for the past several years but I'm getting tired of the extra work I have to do in the spring because of it. This year its getting parked in a friends garage over the winter.
          1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

30 something years ago used to park my bikes in the living room. (had no garage then) XS's are in garage or in my shop. Shop and house are alarmed, but have not had any break-ins. My neighbor hood is pretty cool. Few kids nowa days.

mro

Comment

depends....

Depending on the day, time, plans for the night, it could be any number of combinations. I live in North Minneapolis, known as the "worst" part of town. I'm not so worried about someone running off with 600+ #'s of bike. Most of the bikes in the neighborhood are crotch rockets, far more valuable than my 25 year old home painted frankenstien XS.
              But on those occasions I leave her on the street or in a parking lot, I use the handlebar lock, if it's gonna rain for three days, into the garage she goes. At work we have our own lot so she sits on the centerstand and makes the guys in the bicycle-monkey-shop across the way jealous.
              81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
              sticky side down!

Comment

I was thinking about that recently. At home, I keep it locked up in my shop. I have never taken it anywhere and parked it overnight, so I was wondering about that with the upcoming rally. I thought about bringing a chain and good lock and running it through the back spokes and the frame.... either that.. or hopefully I can just park next to Maximan's bike. They will take one look at my bike... one look at his.... and not look at mine any more! An ugly bike does have it's advantages!! (Still trying to find that advantage for myself somehow!)

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

As my love for my bike grew, so did my paranoia. I keep mine in a garage to protect from the weather, but I also bought a front rotor lock ($14 ebay) and a security system with a engine killing mechanism (ebay $40 yet to be installed). I think the rotor lock is great for these bikes because without rolling/driving it, it would take 3-4 guys to carry-steal it
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

originally posted by MAXIMAN
                    Seriously...they are NOT collector items
                    .....I don't know..........I've got several ,

but the "Martini" and "Midnight Special" especially cherry and stock might be collectable...........

mro

Comment

Fo course what I meant was they have no market value except to us XSive Nutz. The highest I've ever seen a mint XS sell for on Ebay was $3200. The overwhelming majority of Elevens sell for $1500 or less.

On the other had I've seen other bikes of that era like Z1, Magna, CBX, and H2 go for 5 to 15K!

I've had three Elevens in the past year or so. The most I ever paid for one was 2300 and it was near mint (Zilla). But ya know...I suppose some people would steal anything regardless of value just because they're thieves.

TOD - I've been on numerous long road trips and never had a problem with anyone messing with Zilla. However I avoid maggot infested cities like the plague.

But if you're really concerned I guess you can follow Dan's lead:

When I asked Dan why he would go to such extremes to protect his bike he said...

"It's not to protect the bike. It's to protect the lives of fools that would mess with the bike." Then he added ""I just hate KILLIN' people out of state. It's so messy with all the questions and forms ya have to fill out."

Comment

I live in the country and keep mine in my 30x60 building. Yes it sounds hudge, but as I am sure many of you will agree, it just gives me more room to fill up with junk!
                        Work has a secure parking garage so I don't worry then.
                        I do use the fork lock when I am leaving it parked around Nashville though.
                        JimBoReeno
                        My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                        '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                        '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                        2000 Indian Chief
                        Millennium Edition

Comment

lock

have my disks drilled just put a master lock in a hole

Comment

But if you're really concerned I guess you can follow Dan's lead:
                            LOL... Man, it's a good thing I just got all of my bike's bleeding problems stopped up. It would make it complicated though if I was on the second floor! If I get a "Smoking" room... do I get to fire it up??

I ordered a disc lock off of Ebay last week, it "Should" be here in time. Like I said... not worried.. I'm parking next to yours! lol.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own