ride up Mt.Hamilton b/w San Joaquin/San Jose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ride...

Dropped in on my friend Mark at his place of business: he was highly appreciative of my pushing for a Sunday ride. Are we set on Oct. !st?
    Kneweson: if you read this, the Highland Games are the 7th.
    E. Liberty
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

It's time to decide when and where...October 1 seems to work; where is the meeting place?
      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

On I-5 at the Patterson exit (Sperry Ave) there is a complex of motels/gas stations/restraunts.
        How about McDonalds as a meeting spot (I can't remember what others are there) on Oct 1st at 9:30-10:00(ish).
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Still on

My CBuddy is still very much into this ride, and as far as I know,it is very much on for Oct. 1st.
          DiverRay sez it is the only weekend he expects to have off for a month or more.
          Lets ride lads!!!
          Now why would ye ride a bike when ye could ride an XS!!?
          E.Liberty

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

New thread re: ride

Check out new thread I posted please!

Comment

Ed,
              you wrote:
              "Check out new thread I posted please!"

...where?? I've checked the Members Lounge, the XS11/XJ11 Discussion, Ride Reports, and I can't find ANYthing...
              Help us out here...

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

It's right above this one in the Members Lounge. Titled "Rethinking Mt. Hamilton Ride."
                E.Liberty

Comment

So, is this ride stil on or has it died? Who's going?

Comment

LoHo and all,
                    The ride is on, but for Saturday, September 30. Sunday is bad for Uncle Spot, so we moved the date. I think we will all meet in Patterson, Sperry Ave?, at the McDonalds. The Santa Cruz side should be there about 9:30am, give or take.
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Saturday ride

I'll be riding over with Ray Saturday morning. My CB buddy won't be able to make it, but I reckon Ray & I can take a ride with him on some Sunday when he is off work.
                      I look forward to finaly meeting you Loho, and takeing the ride with ya'll.
                      E.Liberty

Comment

MCDONALDS ISNT WHERE I THOUGHT IT WAS

I just rode over to Patterson and Del Puerto Cyn Rd.
                        McDonalds isn't at the junction of Sperry and I-5 (my bad).
                        Mc Donalds is 1 mile east of the Patterson exit.
                        There is a Denny's at that particular gas/food/motel complex just off I-5 and that may be more suitable.
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Well dang!
                          Got to work and a co-worker had his mother pass-away.
                          I'll be working Friday night (usually off) and possibally Saturday night too (unless someone else covers it).

I may miss the ride or maybe just do part of it. If I'm not there then be careful of a herd of cattle between milepost 1 and 2. They still be over the hill but they are sometimes there in the middle of the road.
                          There wasn't much gravel. Most of the left-handers are blind and there's no place for oncomming traffic to swerve if you're too close to the centerline. 'Busas comming the other way (or from behind) at 300 MPH, usually closer to noon. Trailers towing dirt bikes to Frank Raines park, they'll usually pull over for you. Bicycles, I don't peddle up there anymore but occasionally there's a pack training in the hills. Lots of wildlife. Squirrles will be running back and forth in front of you. Lots of birds get flushed out of the bushes alongside the road and can startle you. Snakes aren't uncommon to be seen crossing the road. Twice a year tarantulas migrate and are found by the thousands crossing the road (can give you nightmares the first time you see it). Deer at the higher elevations, usually after the junction. I've seen bear and cougar tracks when hiking up there but never the actual animal. Most of the cattle guards are smooth, once you get to Contra Costa county there are 3 or 4 that are bumpy.

Have fun and I don't want anyone being flown to my hospital.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Good stuff to know

Hope you can make it.
                            Sounds like we're in for a safari!
                            MRO- are you on board?
                            E.Liberty

Comment

Hope you can make it.
                              Sounds like we're in for a safari!
                              MRO- are you on board?
                              E.Liberty.

Been watching.
                              Depends on how work finishes up...... or not today.

mro
                              PM simplyd1, he just needs a little promting.
                              Did you check out his bike pics

Comment

Saturday is not so good for me...Maybe yes, maybe no. i might catch up with you at the Observatory.

Comment

Working...
                                X