No announcement yet.

Musings about relationship to motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, I'm a mild kind of guy. Not a few folks have found it odd that I ride a motorcycle. I don't know if the XJ will be the last bike I own, although it has been the bike I've kept the longest since I started riding back in the late '60s. Every time I demo ride a new V-twin I am remided again about how much I like the XJ's sound and feel. (Many upgrades, BTW, aimed at making the XJ a more comfortable touring bike.) Would I enjoy riding any more on a $28K Harley or Motoguzzi? Probably not, though I occasionally check out prices on used BMW R1150 RS or RT bikes.....

The XS - XJ bikes are survivors, just like many of us who went through the Vietnam war era, Watergate, and the social changes of the '60s, '70s, and into the '80s. They are a concrete example of something well done that has endured. That appeals to me.

I had wanted a large displacement bike for quite a while before I bought the XJ. It does what I want it to do for a reasonable price, is reliable, comfortable, relatively easy to work on, and I've spent many hours in the saddle getting to understand its quirks and personality. It suits me, which is the reason I'll be keeping the XJ for a good many years yet.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

A person's choice of vehicle says alot about who they are. When I bought the Battle Cruiser, all I heard from everyone (including SWMBO) was "Why dincha get a Harley?" I'll tell ya, cause everyone has a Harley and I ain't everyone. For years before the Battle Cruiser came along, I rode my XT Dual Purpose Thumper with my cousins on their Hogs. It was only marginally slower and I loved to find a short cut across a field when stop time came so I could be setting there smiling when they pulled up.

I do my own work on the BC, have loving repainted him, wash him regularly and bask in the comments bout my "antique". Plus it's a lot of fun to see those Harleys in the rear view and not have to plan a cross country jaunt to be the first in the lot.

Not only does your bike reflect you, but I'll bet your cage (for us Sissies who have one) makes a statement about you too. After a series of Ford trucks and one Ford Probe (it was a fun car, but you can't get many 4x8 plywood sheets in one), I have found my 4 wheel friend in a jeep Wrangler(sure, can't get many 4x8s in it either, but you can cargo strap 8 of em on the roll bar with the top down). It's fun, practical, somewhat inexpensive and like riders, Jeep owner wave to each other!

Keep ridin', keep writin' and keep lovin' life!
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

I aggree with you on this one. To me, the cage is the workhorse. THey are fun to drive sometimes, but the motorcycle takes the prize. Although you can tow just about anything with a 4x4 Ford Excursion(7.3L Diesiel), and it is a nice ride, anyone can go out and get one with the resources. Not everyone has the guts to buy an old Classic bike and restore it. Much less drive it around in traffic. Not many people any more have the know how to do it too. I believe that the car you drive says something about how you live your day to day live. Your motorcycle says something about who you really are. Anyway, just something to think about.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

As if I didn't miss my bike enough as it was. Then I read this thread... It has been weeks since Megathrust and I have seen eachother and more than a month since we could go for a ride. It is tearing me appart inside Over the summer break from school, I worked for my father in law and was away from my bike then too. I did get to take a few rides during weekend visits between working and living out of town, but it just wasn't enough. Riding and tinkering on it are always on my mind. Who says you can't love and in-animate object
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
          X