Musings about relationship to motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musings about relationship to motorcycle

It's interesting how some people develop a relationship with inanimate objects. Baseball players with a particular bat or glove, bicycle racers have their 'lucky' gloves, Tom Hanks had 'Wilson' in the movie Castaway... if you think for a bit you can come up with many, many instances of a bond with and object.

In our case it's motorcycles, for some it's brand loyalty, some find the good of the XS1100. Sometimes we filter our perception to where the good qualities overshadow the defecits in design or construction.

Some see their bike as merely transportation. An efficient way to get from here to there. Costs less to purchase and maintain than a car and the ability to get there quicker if traffic gets slow.

Others seem to find a meaning in riding. Getting out of town is a joy. The open road, wind, less stress.... get out and ride somewhere, or nowhere.

Some are happy when cleaning the bike. A time to unwind and reflect and there's actually something to show for the effort, a shining example of machinery/art.

Some really enjoy tinkering on their bike. Anyone here ever adjust their camchain when you know it really dosen't need it yet? They strive to keep the bike as well-maintained as possible, after all their life depends on the bike.

Some take this further by modifying their bike. Squeezing the last bit of power out of the design and upgrading things that can be upgraded at technology advances. Customizing the machine into an individual work of art with custom paint, seat, tank, fenders, etc.

There are different reasons we do this, each has their own reasons. Lonelyness, get away from stressful situations, hobby to pass idle time, just keeping the dang thing running so I can get to work tomorrow, a long list here.

I find myself fitting into many of these niches (or else I wouldn't be typing this). I enjoy tinkering on the bike. I look for what needs attention after 20 years on the road and determining if it needs to be adjusted or replaced. I'm proud when people notice and appreciate an old bike that is shining. I also take pride when I pull into work in the middle of winter, pouring rain, bike covered in road grime. Shows dedication to riding. I like zipping around town on errands or to appointments. Fortunately I have no need to split lanes even though traffic can get snarled at times, just no need for it around here. I like riding out in the countryside, no one around, fresh air (even by dairies ), bugs, open and soothing. Then there's roadtrips. Riding all day or many days. Sometimes it's to a place or sometimes it's just a direction. Mostly I ride alone, I'm used to that, I enjoy solitude. I do like riding with others or in a group but I enjoy the freedom of solitude. This probably comes from being a loner most of my life (ya think?). I like to ride fast, I like to ride slow (just not as often). I like to ride long distances. 5, 6, or 700 mile rides are a joy. Shorter rides are just as good. Somedays I pick a direction and ride that way for 1 hour then turn around and come home.

In my case having 2 bikes is handy, having one to ride while the other is being worked on keeps me on the road. One bike gets mostly maintainence work done on it as I'd like to keep it (relatively) stock. The other has had many upgrades and no doubt will get more. Both bikes have their niche even though they are both XS1100's.

Some understand us, some don't. Appreciate comments from both. Those that don't see our obsession probably have something they are just as passionate about that we might think strange. Embrace life and don't rule anything out.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Well put!

Ride on!
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

We do... because we can.
      We modify... because we can conceive.
      Challenge brings a sense of accomplishment.

This is mine. Though I didn't design it, I have built it. Too dedicated to let anyone else touch it, I've tuned, trouble-shot, rebuilt and sometimes replaced. I've painted, polished and prettied.
      The reflection I see in the engine covers is not so much my image, but the bike's reflection of self.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

.. wow! nice freakin story, brings a tear to my eye.
        i'm with ya ma brutha.
        like that other guy said- ride on!

Comment

Well put!! I to, after a hell day at work will wander out to the garage, grab a cold beer and make a couple of laps around my 11 looking for something to do to it. Most of the time I do not find much so I grab a rag and the polish. Someones bound to notice that smashed bug on the casesaver. I have owned alot of bikes and I can see this one following me to my grave, or putting me in in it. Why do I make what could be a 15 minute ride to the bike shop a 80+ mile, hour long trip? Cause I can, cause I like to ride. I can plonk along at 40mph or blast past cars like the Enterprise chasing a Klingon battle cruiser. It is a love affair with a mechanical object. Not unlike my human counterpart, it can be cranky, mean and just not nice to be around. Most of the time it is a amiable partner, content to do do what I ask of it, a relationship, I take care of you and you will take care of me. I have been asked, when it is apparent I am in a bad mood, "why don't you go out ride for a while". I do, and I come back calm and collected, or at the very least, more tolerable of my surroundings.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

well put Pat.

I, for one, think of my XS11 of much more than just an inanimate object. ...and it's more to me than ANY of the other motorcycles I've owned/ridden over the past 36 years - it's an integral part of my life. I agree with webcraft2150: "I have owned alot of bikes and I can see this one following me to my grave, or putting me in in it."

I STILL can't believe there's a forum with people that are associated with the XS/XJ that are as fanatical as I ! ...and THAT's KEWL

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Free Bird!

Very Well Put!!!!!!!!!
              Seems the majority of us are in the midd. age gen. I as well. Hatched into this world in '62-------The '70's were my time for growing and understading ( still working on it )
              Garage radio station is set on Classic rock. Don't really like the word Classic, reminder of the years slippin' by Pullin' into garage after first ride on an 11 in a long time, Skynard---------------Free Bird on the tunes , feelt like--how poetic! As I type this Segar/ on the road again playing!
              Some disconcerting news though, went out to get the mail----------City is oiling & chipping my street Will be looking for alternant route to the pavement! Bean feild to the North of me???????????? Na, I don't think so!
              "Elvira"
              '80 XS1100LG

Comment

ride the sidewalk
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

That is very true. I too find myself falling into several of those categories.
                  Bauer
                  1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
                  Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
                  1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
                  Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

No Walks

When I bought this place four years ago, closest neighbor was two blocks away. Now I have "farmer John" accross from me, but that's OK. FREE PRODUCE! North edge of town, LOCATION,LOCATION, LOCATION!
                    Will stable bike at buddie's house for week or so I guess. Talk about Pins & Needles! ( Na, I trust him. good freind!)
                    "Elvira"
                    '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Hey, even us young people can appreciate good things to. As far as I know I have been listening to classic rock since I was born, and now at 17 I rebuilt my 80G. So Even though I didn't live through the "good times," my garage radio is alwayse tuned in. I always find myself taking the long way around to where I am going. To me, there is no better feeling that firing up the engine and pulling out of the garage after some hard work either polishing or working on my XS.
                      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

"The good times" are relative. One's taste in music is an individual thing. I personally like rock from the 60's, 70's, and some 80's. Newer music is for younger people. Some neighbor tweakers have (had) a heavy metal/satanic band. Everyone complained about it. I personally didn't like it but it wasn't for me. My only critisizm was in 3 years they never got any better. Sometimes I wondered if they were each playing the same song.

The Good Times were yesterday and I'm looking forward to tomorrows Good Times.

We had pizza yesterday. My daughter (6 years old) got very curious about the cashiers 'rings' in her ears. The ones that stretch the earlobe. Hers were about 3/4" holes. The cashier got a little self-consious about it. I told her not to be embarrassed as she had already decided it's what she wants. I then told her my Grandfather has lobes stretched and hang almost to his shoulders. I told her he also has his nose stretched from a piercing and is quite a large hole. I told her he is in his 90's. She got this disgusted/horrified look as she pictured this in her mind. I then told her I was lying about it, but what are her grandchildren going to think?
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

"after a hard day at work"
                          "This is MINE"

In a world where we have to follow rules all day, (all our lives),
                          sometimes we might feel like we don't have enough authority or control over things.
                          The bikes are something you have total authority and control over. It IS YOURS and yours only.
                          You don't think about work, or money, or problems when you're riding...
                          1979 xs1100sf
                          1972 cb500 four

Comment

It is nice sometimes to have something that you have put countless hours into turn some heads. In the day to day life where cars and suv's look alike it is good to be different. I don't like to show off, but being able to take pride in something is my way of getting away from the world and day to day life. You get to have a personal relationship with your bike.
                            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

I think this is why my father has always been a pilot. It's the only job he's ever had. He's 77and still flying for a living. A few months ago he surpassed 16,000 hours flying!
                              Total command and control of your life. Flying you literally are taking your life in your hands and must have total confidence in your ability.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Working...
                              X