XS11 as a first bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"More unwanted advice... from an old man"

You might be 18, I am 17. I just bought a 1980 XS1100G. The best thing to ever happen to me.
    HobbyMan... respect the machine, so that the second best thing to ever happen to you will be that you live to be 18.
    (I see too many young men buy too much bike, and usually within a week or two, it's back in the shop for a "crash estimate")
    Nothing wrong with getting a powerful bike. But before you go zippin' through traffic, take the time to learn the machine and to learn yourself and your abilities. (Should take only a coupl'a years)
    "If you survive the first two years of showing off, you'll be doing alright!",
    Targetman's words are sound advice.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: "More unwanted advice... from an old man"

Originally posted by prometheus578

Nothing wrong with getting a powerful bike. But before you go zippin' through traffic, take the time to learn the machine and to learn yourself and your abilities. (Should take only a coupl'a years)
      Especially the idiotic traffic in this area. He lives just a couple of miles from me.

Comment

I am lucky to have my dad as an XS1100 owner since 79. I am learning form him and trying to avoid his mistakes. The msf instructors said I catch on fast. Although, I will make sure to be extra carefull. Like my favorite quote by Clint Eastwood "A mans got to know his limitations."
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

HMMMM..... Haven't heard from you for a while GRNHORN .....
          Don't tell me you scrapped the bike idea and the forum!

I had minibikes as a kid but my XJ11 was my first real bike, at age 45, and I can't imagine anything smaller. Something about riding on the highway at 70mph and goose-ing it to pass sombody... noooo problemmmms!

I have dropped it in the driveway though and you really do have to read the tip on picking it back up!
          JimBoReeno
          My Ex!"Half-Breed"
          '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
          '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
          2000 Indian Chief
          Millennium Edition

Comment

TC... modern 600s crotch rockets are faster, have more horsepower etc.... BUT
            They are 100 kg or even lighter
            They have nice 120/180 tires for nice traction
            They can brake better
            Mistakes can be easier to correct.
            Sure, they dont last that long... but they dont have to. Ppl usually move to 1000cc or more in a few years anyway.
            Sometimes the 78E scares the crap out of me. Not because it does something weird, more like I feel insecure on that lump of metal. We will see how the "new" one handles.

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

more like I feel insecure on that lump of metal.

Last time going across the bridge at 100+ began to wonder. Blow out? skinny little tires? Wondered how far bike would stay up before aluminum rim disintegrated and I'd be sliding down the pavement to hit something or skid to a stop, then run over by a cage.

mro

Comment

Dude, I'm 22 years old now, and I'm still alive. I bought my XS last year, and rode it for the remainder of the summer. Then I decided I wanted to make my XS one of the nicest out there, so I totally stripped it down to the frame and built it back up. Now I have a totally sweet bike that the girls go nuts over, and the best part is telling them how I resurrected it from nothing. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Sure the XS is a very top heavy bike, but if you take it easy your first couple hundred miles you'll find riding other big, powerful bikes are a breeze. I rode my friends VTX 1300 and was surprised at how easy it was compared to my XS (and slow )
                1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

Bought my xs11 about 5 years ago, partly out of spite. My old man bought me a 80g when I was in college, but decided it was too fast for me and took it home with him. So, after college, I found out how good these bikes are, and bought my own special. I took to it right away, but I had done alot of off road in my teens, so street riding was easy. As far as how powerful they are, I think a modern 600 sportbike would kill you easier... The're quick for their age, but not that quick. Besides, the size makes them a little easier for drivers to see, I think.
                  1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                  1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                  1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                  2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                  2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

My first was/is an XS...

I asked this same question about a year ago when I bought my 78E ... I had never even ridden so much as a dirt bike, but I knew I wanted good cruiser. My buddy had "an ole dinosaur" he was selling ((because he needed the money and just didn't have the time to ride anymore)) and told me it was mine if I wanted it. I'll admit, I was a bit nervous and I got a lot of "oh my god, you're insane" looks when I told everyone my first bike was an 1100. But, in my defense, I'm 6'1" and weight about 240lbs, so I didn't like the "feel" of many of the bikes I looked at.

... Then I sat on my XS!!!! That was all she wrote. My wife even named my bike ... Mistress ... because she said in those first couple months, I spent more time with it than I did with her.

All in all, I'm glad I bought my XS. It's a whole lot of bike, but I couldn't imagine riding anything else!
                    ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
                    '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

Basically, your question is a typical misunderstanding of the problem.

The vehicle you choose has nothing to do with it. The problem lies with you.

If you are the cool, calm and controlled type you can learn on anything. If your the impetous type that won't be able to let anyone else pass you, I'd go for something smaller.

Either way, the bike will not crank the throttle itself.
                      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk
                        The vehicle you choose has nothing to do with it. The problem lies with you.
                        Either way, the bike will not crank the throttle itself.
                        Totally agree!!! Couldn't have said it better myself!!!
                        ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
                        '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

I rode my bro's bike (the one I am parting out now) many times- I find it rather docile and predictable- a good first bike for a bigger person- though it is really pretty well balanced (my bros was a full dresser too) and seat hieght was pretty low IMHO.

I mean, damn, it ain't a Gixxer 1000 R or anything here- where an accidental panic twist of the throttle will surely loop the bike, crash and burn on you!

Comment

Xs1100 sg

My first owned bike that I just bought 1 and a half months ago was an 80 1100 special. I rode my parents newer Yamaha's (Dad= 1900 Stratoliner Mom= 1700 V-Star and 1300 V-star) I just rode them after riding my XS11 and I wouldn't trade mine for the world. I even took a buddies brand new R6 out a couple weeks ago after buying mine and I still like my bike far better. That was before getting it tuned up and doing proper maint, and repairs. I will be tuning and syncing carbs tomorrow and taking it for my first real ride after restoring it to a rideable bike and I can't explain how giddy I am to get back on it. They are extremely fun bikes and have all the power you need. I even like the handling better than the other bikes I've ridden. Good luck on your decision, but you REALLY can't go wrong with an XS11! Everything is super user friendly and repairable on your own if you have a little know how and this website. Would feel bad for you if you didn't buy it.
                            LB
                            1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
                            1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
                            1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

LOL, I really need to get better at reading the dates on these posts before throwing in my 2 cents. Oh well, made me feel good!
                              1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
                              1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
                              1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Perhaps you should change yer handle to "Reanimator". Good threads never die...they just wait for resurrection. Glad ya like yer XS, they are sweet old beasts, aren't they?

This thread needs a picture...

Comment

Working...
                                X