XS11 as a first bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 as a first bike

I'm totally inexperenced, 18 years old. willing to take things slow.

is this suicide?
    should I stick with a smaller bike?

I've practiced on what I think to be a '79, xs11 special and an '80 honda CB650.. maybe I was just used to the feel of the XS when I hopped on the CB but it was like night and day... I'm not sure if I'd like buying a smaller bike.

opinions?
    a decent enough idea
    60.94%
    suicide
    39.06%

Large enough

I guess if you're large enough to handle the extra weight and willing to take considerable risk it would be OK. I don't recommend it though. These things are top heavy, hard to handle in tight situations and have certainly been known to injure those with not much experience. (And those with much experience too) I would park it in the shop and do a complete restore while I put a few thousand miles on something in the 650 to 750 range. Before doing any of the above I recommend you take a Motorcycle Safety Course.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

words of wisdom.

I think I'm going to scrap the XS11 idea altogether, it does not belong to me nor do I hope it to.. I checked the oil today because it was running rough and it turns out that its owner has probably never added or changed the oil, resulting in it being burn on to the inside of the engine.

as was said in another FAQ... time to walk away and dont come back.

Comment

THINK ABOUT IT

GRNHRN, MYFIRST BIKE WAS A YAMAHA 650, GREAT BIKE UNTIL I
        climbed on a xs1100. I was new to biking also way back when,
        and the salesman told me I could handle the 1100 being a small
        person myself, 5'8"and 125 lbs [wet] in the early eighties. But he also told me to never get too confindent because that when things will go all wrong. I would suggest taking a training class at the local area college on riding to get the skills that you need to ride a bike that has all that power. If the 1100 that you're looking at has problems and if you do'nt want to take the time to really get to know the bike then get theother bike. You won't be happy with it... BELIEVE ME ... ONCE YOU RIDE A 1100 NOTHING ELSE CAN COMPAIR TO IT !!!! YOUR HOOKED.
        I don't think I'll ever own anything else. the bike I just bought is on a thread called " finnally pictures " and the choice I had was between it or a brand new " v max ". I chose it for the love of the bike and also the chance to bring the greatest bike that yamaha ever made back to life. If you choose to buy an 1100, this club is your best source of help you can have. The gang here will help you right through any problems that could arise and besides it's fun to fix it yourself boyzsblue[leon]
        BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Comment

I'm getting my first XS11 today. It's an 81. I need to do a little cleaning, fluid changing and get a battery. The owner took good care of it, but hurt his back and let it sit for two years. I got it for $600 ! ! It all looked pretty good, hopefully, I won't have to pull the carbs though. It looks like a complex ordeal. You guys got me a tad worried about it being top heavy. I'm a decent sized guy, I just have wimpy arms. I'm not too worried though. My first bike is a 1996 Virago 750. Awesome bike to learn on. Also took the safety course. BEST thing I ever did. I'll post some pics when I get her up and running. I've already downloaded a crapload of stuff from here. You guys ROCK !

Barry phz, az 1996 XV750, 1981 Yamaha XS11

Comment

Another Opinion.

Hey Grnhorn,

Don't write off the XS11 just yet! These things are very tough!! Did the engine make any knocking noise when it was running? It's normal for them to make a higher toned tapping noise, but not a lower toned "KNOCK"!!

Any chance you can do a compression check on the XS11?? IF you find values around 120 or higher in all four, and the mileage isn't too high, like over 50K, then it should be no problem to get it reconditioned with a couple of oil changes with some Marvel Mystery Oil run thru it for the first one!

As for the XS11 being your first bike, heck, other "kids" go out and get crotch rockets, even 600cc's are faster and quicker than our XS11's!!! Yeah, it's a bit heavy, but with regular styled handlebars I find it not hard to steer or handle at all, cause you have a much wider range of steering both with the width of the grips, and the range of turn of the bars compared to Crotchets!

Taking a MSF course is a great way to get familiar with riding a bike period, and will teach you many techniques that will allow you to be able to more easily and safely handle the power that the XS11 has! Yes, it's strong, but it's not unpredictable, and won't wheelie as easily as "crotchets", so it's not as unsafe as others have stated! It just requires respect, same with any motorized vehicle! GO FOR IT!!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

get the xs
              my first road bike was an xs when i was 18
              bought it brand new in 78
              lucky i survived it, thing was fast and i was young and foolish
              i got my first speeding ticket on it 90 in a 45
              but i survived and i still have that bike and still ride it
              http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
              78E main ride, since birth the "good"
              78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
              78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
              79F Parts
              80G Parts
              75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Get the XS. My first bike was an XS1100. No, I wasn't 18, I was 40 (but just as immature!)
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Get the bike. Change the oil and fluids, put a good set of tires on it, install a good fork brace and ride it until you can't anymore. Or........spend ten times the cash on a cheaply built sportbike and leave it parked until you finally give it away, because it feels like a toy tied to a rocket. Burl
                  '79 XS Eleven Special
                  "Dirty White Boy"
                  "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Comment

I'm totally inexperenced, 18 years old. willing to take things slow.
                    At least you know in your own head where you stand. When I first started riding (cb750), an older friend said to me "If you survive the first two years of showing off, you'll be doing alright!", not that I ever was the type to showboat.
                    But it was good advice. Whenever I had a thought about trying wheelies or burnouts in front of people, I always heard his advice in my head.
                    It doesn't matter what bike you get, as long as you aproach riding with the right attitude for your experience.
                    Like Clint Eastwood says, "A man's got to know his limitations".
                    The only problem is that in order to get better at something, you've got to push the envelope once in a while.
                    I learned in the dirt, where it never hurt too much when I fell off.
                    Try pushing your limits on the street and fall off.......ouch.
                    Get a friend with a dirtbike and a safe place to ride to show you a few things and/or take a course. You won't regret it.
                    1979 xs1100sf
                    1972 cb500 four

Comment

Hi phx_bare

Should have posted a new thread as your first instead of on this one.

Welcome to XSive Land
                      As a newbie you going to have to post a few pic's of your

81' special/standard/mns???????.

mro

btw
                      been sitting two years, will probably have to clean the carbs and recommend replacing the float needles. There rubber tipped and good chance they may leak either now or in near future.

btw, btw
                      Think hardest part working on XS carbs is getting em off and on

Should float pin(s) be stuck, randy has a tool to remove them safely.

Comment

My bad. Seeing as how I'm a newbie, I get a certain alotment of mistakes right? lol
                        She's a 1980. Not sure how to tell what kind though. Dirty isn't the word. MAJOR gummage in the brake lines and reservoirs. The carbs were a little rough, but should clean fairly easy. As far as removing the carbs, shoot, that was a total breeze ! ! ! I'm used to removing the carbs off of my 96 Virago 750. I swear I can almost hear the laughter from the people with those little hands!! I'm going to start completely taking apart the carbs anyday now. This week is rather jammed pack as we have a rally to go to. I was kinda hoping to ride the new bike there, but it's not happening.
                        Thanks for the welcome and carb tips. I'll get pics up a.s.a.p.

Comment

High Jack

As for XS11 as a first bike? Just not the easiest to learn on but not the worst either.

mro

btw
                          80' serial numbers

model.........ser# starts with

G (standard) 3H5- reqtangular guages
                          SG (special) 3J6- round
                          LG (Midnight Special) 4H3- round
                          Last edited by mro; 07-17-2006, 08:17 PM.

Comment

my 81 SH was the first bike i ever sat on. Sure it rides like a tank and clunks when it shifts. But it rides good and has VERY low maintenance. As far as power, when you're in the car do you floor it at every intersection? The power is there when you want it and more importantly when you NEED it. All in all i wouldn't trade this bike for anything. Sure a bright shiny new one might be easier to learn on. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with an XS.
                            1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

You might be 18, I am 17. I just bought a 1980 XS1100G. The best thing to ever happen to me.
                              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X