trip to the midwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummmm Ray???

It's LATE wed afternoon, and I still see you posting in the forum. Why aren't you cruising through rush hour traffic headed east by now?? Hope everything is OK.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

DiverRay is on his way!!!

I have followed ray's progress on his bike. Very nice paint job. Too bad his gas tank fell down and got f@#ked up as it was drying. But now that he is gone, that leaves me as THE PRESIDENT of the Santa Cruz County Chapter of the XS11 Owners Association... mua-ha-ha-ha-ha!
      Damn it's lonely at the top.
      I look forward to your safe return, Ray: I don't know if I can handle all the resposabilities.
      Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
      I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Ed

You ARE certifiably NUTZ!

But I should know...both being from west Texas....mau ha ha ha ha ha !

Speaking of W.T....I gotta feeling when Ray comes across that panhandle he's gonna be wishin' he was back in Aptos. Hope he brought an asbestos suit.

Comment

Ed posted a little early, as IM STILL HOME I was getting ready for a final ride tonight, and the main fuse blew!! Now I need to try and find out if there is something in the new fairing that is causing it. I've not replaced ANY fuse since I've owned daily ride. The PO did replace the fuse panel with 4 inline spade fuses. Now I'll leave once I know it won't die in the middle of the Texas panhandle, as I am leaving the asbestos suit home to save weight.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well if it quits you out there. .. Call me. I'll grab a trailer and come get ya.

But that won't happen...it's an ELEVEN!

Comment

Ray, if you don't leave soon, you will either miss the wine and abilone, or you will just have to go by people's places... honk, rev the motor, and wave as you keep going...

Cody wasn't really kidding aout the asbestos suit... here's today's forcast.

Be careful and drink lots of water. You may not think you're sweating much while on the bike. Maybe it will cool off some before you get here. Good luck.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If you'll wait and roll through here on Saturday we're having an "artic" front move through then and the temp is dropping to a barely gag-able 92*.

Comment

OK, I'm now on my way, Finally!!
                  I am just going out the door, and riding south to San Diege, then a left turn and East. I will be in
                  Tuxcon Friday evening, and try to be in Rifle Saturday. Sunday evening I hope to be in Dallas, and then on to OK Monday, and Cleveland by Wednesday. That's the plan, now it's MURPHY'S turn once again.
                  Ray
                  Cell # in case anyone needs to leave a message or try to get a hold of me. 831-234-8721
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

Good luck Ray. Be careful, and hope to see you Sunday night. If you get a chance, e mail me when you leave N.M., and let me know what your'e ETA may be, and call me when you are about 100 or so miles from me, and I'll try to meet up, and ride into town with you. Sunday's weather is supposed to be in the low-mid 90's. Much better than it is right now...101.
                    Last edited by John; 07-20-2006, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I made it just south of Santa Barbara, and NO HEADLIGHT. so I'm down at night for now, and will try and repair in the morning, just before I do a mad dash for Tuscon. MURPHY IS FOLLOWING ME!!
                      Motel 6 for the night..
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Hey there Ray, if you need a good meal, bed and garage here in Grand Junction, or just to stop so I can meet you on your way on up to Rifle, or sounds like Debeque, I'm only half a mile off I 70, Exit 37. Cell#970-640-7221.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

heat and speed

It got up to 85 in Aptos the other day: Ah thought ah wus gonna dah! Seriously folks, it does some times get up to over 100 up in the San Lorenzo Valley where I live, and with the humidity that feels pretty hot.
                          Use to do highway constuction with my dad in the summer when it would reach 110 in the shade. This was in Lubbock when I was 16. I don't know how I did it, looking back on it.
                          I hope Ray takes your warnings seriously: 70 mph on a bike in 110 heat will suck the life force right out of ya.
                          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

"P*ssin' in the wind"

Like TRBIG and E. Liberty alluded to... Ray, when you're at a rest area takin' care o' business... If it's not coming out clear, chug down a canteen.
                            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I use my Camelbak when I'm on trips. I found I have the opposite problem..... I can't pass a rest stop without critiquing the facilities.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
                                Bike in the shelter, sleeping bag on the table. (String a poncho across the front, or the lawn sprinklers will get you at 3:00 AM.)
                                Oh yeah... stop at Walmart and pick up the strongest sunscreen. Face, back of the neck, your wrists and the top of your hands. (Been there, dumb that!)
                                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                                X