No announcement yet.

trip to the midwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday and Monday the shop is closed. I can open it up, and we can take turns riding up and down on the bike lifts!!!
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

OK, I'll just have to remember to put up the side stand...
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Ray,
        You can stay at my place on yer way down from staying with Prom in Washington. Of course I live only 10 miles or so from your place in Aptos. Might not be that big a deal after a 1500 to 2000 mile trip. Thought I'd offer anyway.
        By th' by, congrats on becoming a Guru. Sorry about my other post: must have been something I drank. That and jelosy: 900 post to go.(Damn, where is that spellcheck when you need it?)
        Keep the rubber side down!
        E.Liberty
        Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
        I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

DiverRay, Like dewibp said. I'm right off of I-90 and I-29. I do have a small shop here in Sioux Falls ( stocked garage ) I will be moving to Madison S.D. ( about 45 min north between two lakes ) My new shop ( garage ) is air conditioned with a frig full of beer. We have extra room and plenty of oil for the much needed oil change. I will still own my place in Sioux Fall when your passing through. Just give me a shout and I'll send you a pm with phone numbers and such. If your going through Rapid City, Stall87 live there, nulle is in Belle fourche ( bell foosh ) and Materi is in New Castle Wy. I may be able to ride part way with you but I can't take any time off till the Sturgis rally time so the ride would be for only a couple of hundred miles or so.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Ray

If you don't stop and see me ...

I'LL BE PISSED!

...but I'll still talk to ya...

Comment

Ray,............have a nice extra bed (queen) for ya if you stop here in Grand Junction since Jerry is on your 'stop' list. Your most welcome, even if it's an oppertunity to meet you!
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Dang Ray...
                If I ever make Guru, I'm gonna take off cross-country too. Looks like you can save alot on hotels if you just let people know on here first! : ) On second thought though... you prolly have to be a likeable guy for peeps to offer that. So lemme get this straight. If someone offers you a place to stay... you don't ask them if their wife an daughter will be there too?? lol... Hmmmm... seems like I mess it up every time there... lmao.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod, The secret is to not ask....
                  I'll be trying to meet as many of the XSive people as I can. Some like Jerry and Maximan, I've had the pleasure and look forward to talking over a beer once again. Others like John and Pro, I've sent PM's and emails and am looking forward to a face to face meeting. The big thing for me is getting "Daily Ride" ready for the trip. I'm way behind on the paint, because the proper reducer isn't here.
                  The good news, I've got a tubeless rear rim for daily, and two new tires ready to mount. And I just had a call today, my new grips are in!!
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

You know, this thread makes me want to travel cross country. I can get a lot of maintence work done
                    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Yeah, but if you want to KNOW you can make it home, you need to do the work FIRST. After that, It should be fun!!
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Not quite midwest but....
                        July 19th(ish) through July 27th(ish) I/we will be going to Boise Idaho.
                        Any listers want to show me some roads? This would make for a great XScuse to ride the XS instead of riding in the Suburban with all the kids.
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hijacking the thread for just a sec...

instead of riding in the Suburban with all the kids
                          Did you get that Suburban fixed? Did the insurance ever come through?

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Insurance hasn't done anything (yet). We continue to pester them.

We bought a 99 Suburban. There went the money I was eyeing for a bigbore kit for the LG, and a (pedal) trike.

Here's the trike:

Homeowners insurance gave us enough to repair the fence.
                            The wrecked Suburban is in the backyard (in the way). I was thinking of replacing the punctured fuel tank, cut-off the rear bumper, and taking it to the mountains and play "Dukes of Hazzard" with it. Are there destruction derbies for 4x4's?
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

As an update...
                              My start time will be a little later than planned. The paint didn't make it when promised, and then the gun broke in the middle of painting. I don't think I'll be leaving until Monday at the earliest. That will put me two days behind on most of my stops, but I'll still be going. I've got to sand the paint once again, and shoot one more coat of base before the candy blue. after that, it's two coats of clear, the first with the "White Lightning" in it, and the second to flash and smooth everything.
                              I've just had the new set of Dunlop 491 Elite II tires mounted, and the rear rim will be reinstalled once I do the swing arm bearings. After that the mechanical is a valve adjustment, and carb sync.
                              Hope to see a lot of you once I'm "on the road".
                              Ray
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG

Comment

Ray,

How long ya plan to be out? The route you're taking from Aptos to Cleveland (thru Tuscon...Los Alamos...Dallas....Stillwater then up) is 3500 miles....ONE WAY!

Hopefully I will be able to ride a few hundred miles toward Cleveland with you. I'm thinking straight up I-44 to St. Louis to see Dan Hodges. It's right at 500 miles from here to Dan's. I should have the engine on Zilla finished by then and I want to take it up to sensei for his approval...

CYA

Cody

Comment

Working...
                                X