Need opinion on cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinion on cables

So, normally I would not ask suck a rediculous question, but since I just had to ride home with no clutch my less than a year old cable broke. Does anyone have an opinion between Yamaha, Barrett, or Motion Pro?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

A cable is only as good as it's lube. I've had OEM cables snap way before aftermarket ones, every time because I didn't maintain them. Now I lube cables twice a season.

Comment

This stupid one I just broke, broke right at the lever-bead, and I lubed it before I put it on (5-7 months ago and garage kept). Just a shoddy cable, I think.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Well, I ordered a barnett, because, suprise suprise, Yamaha didn't have one in stock.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Barnett cables are good but I agree that any cable is only as good as the maintainance given to it.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

And not only keep the cable lubed, make sure the barrel end is lubed too, friction there will bust that sucker right off. Mikes XS has a nice little cable lube tool with which you can just blast the housing full of chain lube.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by xs650mike
              And not only keep the cable lubed, make sure the barrel end is lubed too,
              Another often over looked item is the lever pivot pin. I've seen levers with the fulcrum hole worn egg shaped. It makes the lever harder to pull and isn’t all that great for the cable either.

Geezer

Comment

Right Tony, like the clutch lever on my 400. Not to worry, Mikes XS has new levers cheap.
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

All my stuff is in good shape. Upon removal, it looks like the metal bead just split and the cable came right out.

I got one of those lubers at the HD dealer cuz both the metrics were out of stock and I needed one. It seams a little lareger though. Do HD's have larger cables?
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I lube cables with a plastic baggie with oil and let the cable hang for a few minutes. I almost never use my pressure cable luber because it only uses the canned stuff.

Some Harleys do have masive clutch and brake cables

Geezer

Comment

Plastic baggy works ok but I've also got one of those old pump type oil cans and it works fine with my pressure luber.
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X