No announcement yet.

My father died 12-27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninety is a ripe old age but doesn't make it easier to bear. I just lost my best pal and he was only 40. All very hard to get your head around. Condolences to you.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Thanks again for the comments. My Dad was a pretty good mechanic, taught me how to use tools properly and take things in order. He bought me one of those "Visable V-8" kits and helped me assemble it; taught me patience.

Dad also operated heavy equipment in his early years, mostly D-8 Cats in northern California logging operations. Had quite a few stories about those days!

He ended his career as a mail carrier and acting Postmaster in Unity, Wisconsin, and had been retired for 35 years. He also loved to dance, and other hobbies included learning geology, lapidary (cut and polish stones) and collecting sea shells. He often took his collections on the road to local schools; the kids were always impressed by minerals that glowed under a blacklight.

Anyway, I have many, many good memories of him. At his celebration of life gathering one of my cousins sang "You're No one 'Til Somebody Loves You" (old standard) and it was obvious my Dad was someone to a lot of people.

Thanks again for the comments, much appreciated.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Sounds like he was and still is an awesome man!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sympathy

Sympathy to you Jerry,
          Sounds like many fond memories and good lessons learned from him.
          It is a great big beautiful world out there
          Brent in GA
          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Sympathy

My deepest sympathy to you and your family i too lost my dad back in november its been almost two months now and i still find myself wishing he was still here with me one thing i know for sure he will always be with you we keep them in our minds and heart my dad wasnt much of a mechanic though but it was fn to come over to his house and fix his car for him while we talked about anything and everything All i know is i will be glad to be with him when my time comes.
            4/78 xs1100 standard
            Pacifico fairing 4 into one exhaust

new name :black Knight

I am but a student in this world of xsive masters

Comment

Jerry,
              I'm very sorry to hear you lost your Dad.
              My thoughts & prayers are with you.
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Sorry to hear about your fathers passing. My condolences to you and your family.
                Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Working...
                X