Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacifico Fairing Replacement

Hello,

I've got a fully faired 79 XS11 and was looking to remove the rather large fairing that it came with. My question is, has anyone done this, and if so, what parts do I need to get in order to swap it out for the stock square headlight assembly and turn signals?

Thanks

Hello HouL - I typed a reply on your same FB question. This forum is a good (better) place to ask questions, and search for answers already given.

I was trying to do the same thing as you, but after taking the bike for a short ride without the fairing....decided against it. Holy moly - I learned about hanging on for dear life when the combination of accelerating and wind above 80km/h hits. I would not last long on a ride without the fairing - spoiled by it now after 6 years. So, as people on here said to me when I got my bike "try the fairing, you might like it" plus I'm a lot older now than when I first went blasting down the highway on an XS at age 19.

I just went through changing my headlight from 78E sealed beam in the Pacifico fairing, to the H4 reflector and bulb type that is found in the 79F model. My goal was to go LED, and first step was to change to H4 style bulb that LED comes in. You can see the change in the 79 headlight and all the parts you need if you study the exploded isometric parts diagrams found online. I had to do a little work with the dremmel in the fairing bucket to get the 79 reflector unit to fit, but it was fairly easy and enough plastic thickness to sacrifice without making holes. If you get a 78 bucket, it may not be correct for you.

'78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

HI Houl,,,,if you take off the fairing and decide to get wind protection a good alternative to the huge Pacifico fairing is the Plexifairing,,,its light, easy to pop on and off and gives 90 percent plus protection of the Pacifico, I had them on a couple of bikes and
      like an idiot didnt keep them when selling those bikes,,,anyway, the Plexifairing 3 is stable at any speed up to death defying 110mph plus, usually can be found used, cheap on c.list or offerup....have fun, Mike in San DIego and Pa.

https://www.nationalcycle.com/n8613-01.html

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
        Hello HouL - I typed a reply on your same FB question. This forum is a good (better) place to ask questions, and search for answers already given.

I was trying to do the same thing as you, but after taking the bike for a short ride without the fairing....decided against it. Holy moly - I learned about hanging on for dear life when the combination of accelerating and wind above 80km/h hits. I would not last long on a ride without the fairing - spoiled by it now after 6 years. So, as people on here said to me when I got my bike "try the fairing, you might like it" plus I'm a lot older now than when I first went blasting down the highway on an XS at age 19.

I just went through changing my headlight from 78E sealed beam in the Pacifico fairing, to the H4 reflector and bulb type that is found in the 79F model. My goal was to go LED, and first step was to change to H4 style bulb that LED comes in. You can see the change in the 79 headlight and all the parts you need if you study the exploded isometric parts diagrams found online. I had to do a little work with the dremmel in the fairing bucket to get the 79 reflector unit to fit, but it was fairly easy and enough plastic thickness to sacrifice without making holes. If you get a 78 bucket, it may not be correct for you.
        Thanks for the quick reply.

The fairing is certainly nice but I want to be able to remove it easily for if I decide to go on faster/longer rides. I have a 76 CB750 ive taken on some longer rides and the wind doesnt bother me tooooo much, but just having the option of quick removal would be nice.

Ill try to find some diagrams of what it takes to remove and install a separate headlight, my current concern is if there's mountain brackets on the forks for a conventional bucket and turn signals - in addition to wiring the headlight and such, since right now the fairing plugs in through a harness w/ 8 pin connector

Comment

Originally posted by HouL View Post

The fairing is certainly nice but I want to be able to remove it easily for if I decide to go on faster/longer rides. I have a 76 CB750 ive taken on some longer rides and the wind doesnt bother me tooooo much, but just having the option of quick removal would be nice.

Ill try to find some diagrams of what it takes to remove and install a separate headlight, my current concern is if there's mountain brackets on the forks for a conventional bucket and turn signals - in addition to wiring the headlight and such, since right now the fairing plugs in through a harness w/ 8 pin connector
          Yes, the fairing harness is wired in the nest of wires that live behind where the headlight would go. You would unplug the headlight and turn signal lights and plug into the standard wiring harness. Pretty easy, colour coded on the manual wiring diagram, and can just be tried and tested.

I forgot, you need turn signals too. The most difficult part to find are the little square chrome brackets that go on the forks and hold the turn signal stems. Keep you eyes peeled for someone selling those brackets, rarely seen. The turn signals and stems are available inexpensively in aftermarket sources. I use PartsnMore quite a bit and they have them. https://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yam...ry]=electrical

CMSL have the diagrams as do many parts suppliers, most are the same quality of resolution. When you find the part, copy the part number and search the internet with it. https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs1100_model16834/
          Last edited by dbbrian; 06-06-2023, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HouL View Post

The fairing is certainly nice but I want to be able to remove it easily for if I decide to go on faster/longer rides....
            BTW - I've taken my XS11 up to 100MPH with the fairing on. Fast enough for me. Longer rides is where you want the wind protection - BTDT on trips to WV, TN, NC, and GA mountains from Canada

Comment

Here are some parts needed to go back to stock:

Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	873923 Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	873924 Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight 4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	873925 Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight 3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	873926

Comment

[QUOTE=HouL;n873919

Hi HouL. Last time I removed the fairing (15yrs ago) from my 79 F, it was a chore. Hope someone more versed can add some info on the process. Its definitely not a quick take on and off as it is very securely mounted to the frame.
                Besides you have to swap out a lot of parts every time. Make sure you understand and accept all that is involved before you go spending any money on it.
                Hope you enjoy your rides with or without the fairing.

79 XS1100F.
                SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
                TC's fuse box.
                SOFA filter.
                Venture cam chain adjuster.
                Tkat fork brace.
                Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Working...
                X