Corroded Petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corroded Petcocks

This is my right side petcock body (xj1100). It is so badly wasted that there is no separation between the on and res fuel intakes. I have gone from looking at rebuild kits to suddenly looking at new petcocks.
    Does anyone have any experiece with the ones on ebay in the $20-$30 range?
    Has anyone else encountered this?

Do you have the filters that press fit into that petcock....the plastic filters that stick up into the gas tank?

They have a pipe that press fits into one of the holes to isolate it from the other hole:

Click image for larger version

Name:	XJ Petcock Filter.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	871134

-Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

ive seen worse petrol taps they can be cleaned up. as for re-build kits ive used tourmax kits as they are good quality Japanese made but don't know if you can get them in your part of the world ?

Comment

Thanks for this. Yes Radioguy I have these. It appears that the corrosion is far enough into the body that there is a place where the filtre, though fitting snuggly, is not actually seating.

Comment

The XJ11 and the XS11 Special share the same petcocks, and the rebuild kit is the same... These worked really well for me:https://www.ebay.com/itm/36308932658...Bk9SR6ivmYn1YA

Comment

To save you some possible issues I purchased some replacement manual petcocks from a site on EBAY. Right after I put them on I had issues with leaks. The problems were mainly with the fittings. They were very flimsy and would vibrate loose. They were smaller than the regular fittings and required a change in hose and hose clamps to slop leaks where hose attached. Then also there was the other issue that I could not tolerate where they would get down to the last gallon and a half of gas and would not flow. It's hell running out of gas on the interstate and having plenty. Switching to reserve does nothing. You stop shake the tank back and forth carbs fill you start the bike take off and about 3 to 4 miles and it dies again. The petcocks I purchased looked good seemed a perfect solution but in trying them they proved different. I cleaned polished my originals and put a new kit in and they are working fine again. Cheap replacement petcocks may not be a good solution.
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
              To save you some possible issues I purchased some replacement manual petcocks from a site on EBAY. Right after I put them on I had issues with leaks. The problems were mainly with the fittings. They were very flimsy and would vibrate loose. They were smaller than the regular fittings and required a change in hose and hose clamps to slop leaks where hose attached. Then also there was the other issue that I could not tolerate where they would get down to the last gallon and a half of gas and would not flow. It's hell running out of gas on the interstate and having plenty. Switching to reserve does nothing. You stop shake the tank back and forth carbs fill you start the bike take off and about 3 to 4 miles and it dies again. The petcocks I purchased looked good seemed a perfect solution but in trying them they proved different. I cleaned polished my originals and put a new kit in and they are working fine again. Cheap replacement petcocks may not be a good solution.
              if they are made in China then their crap, not worth buying cheap stuff

Comment

Working...
              X