Attn; Carb GURU's An XS Needs your help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn; Carb GURU's An XS Needs your help

Bike is an 80 xs11, Building this for a cross country tour. Solid good even compression Good light tan color on plugs with stock pipe and air box
    The bike has been out fitted with a Supertrap 4-1 and individual air filters cheep ones not K&N.
    Started this tune with carb body's cleaned with aerosol auto cleaner and compressed air. All jets pilot, needle and mains were soaked over night,and all passages ware blown clear. Floats set to factory spects.
    Started with with 45 pilots and 145 mains which is what I did years ago on two other 11's i had although they were a 78-79 models.
    That was about all I Did on the early Bikes, Its not working on this one.
    Ihave a good idle at 1000rpm with 47.5 pilots and the idle air screws out 2.5 turns Ive let it idle 15 mins with good lite tan color on all plugs. lite popping on accellerationup to 3000 rpm At 1/4 throttle.
    Then as the throttle is opened it falls on its face misfiring at exhaust on a test ride opening the choke had no effect. Have tried this with test with 145's- 135's and now even with the stock jets What do I do nextGuys? MAB.
    78 E

Well, the '80 bikes have different carbs. They have something closer to 110's for the main jets, so you first need to figure out for sure what carbs you have to know what jetting you need to use.

Are the float needle seats screwed in or are the push in with a little retainer clip?

Is there a screw over the pilot jet tower or is it open (may have a rubber plug in it)?

If the pilot jet tower is open (or rubber plug) look and see if there is a small passage drilled between the main jet tower and the pilot jet tower?

Brass floats or plastic floats?

What did you set your floats too?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
    X