Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two more thoughts

Went out to the garage and removed the bracket from the pan,
    looks like you could use a (first choice) carriage bolt ...or a toilet anchor bolt though they are brass...... might not have long term strength???
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
      Went out to the garage and removed the bracket from the pan, looks like you could use a (first choice) carriage bolt ...or a toilet anchor bolt though they are brass...... might not have long term strength???
      The stock bolts are hardened and the ends are center-punched so the nut doesn't fall off if you forget to lock it down. You can chimp 'em off but it's not easy unless another chimp's been in there pre-P.O.'d the seat nuts for you.

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

It's time to do the Quick Release Bolt Seat Mod.

Click
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Ian, will these size work?

Thanks.
          79 SF

Comment

^ Not if the one's on the seat are the 1.25 fine thread pitch, as Greg stated. I would use Marty's suggestion and use the bicycle quick release's. Seems like a neat & useful mod.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

take one of your bolts to your local Toyota or Honda shop
              Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
              Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
              and SOXS
              2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I purchased a used pair from a salvage yard/parts yard in MO for $12.00 each, thanks for the help, I never thought of it being a whole assembly to be purchased and the part number helped out tremendously.

I almost bought a used seat and it would have cost me a bit more.

Does anyone know if there is a shop that reupholsters the seat fabric for the XS 1100's that says YAMAHA in the back panel?

Thanks Again.
                79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                  It's time to do the Quick Release Bolt Seat Mod.

Click
                  ^^^This^^^
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Archway International Motorcycle Salavge - Avoid

Just to keep the board up-to-date, I ordered these parts used from a place called "Archway" or Fog Hollow , A. I. M.S , 1-314-385-3334, their new parts number is 1(800) 366-3464. (So I thought)

Long story short, when I called the guy (owner) he said he had the parts in used condition, two of them to be exact. He had a new part, but said he would give me a break on the used parts, so I agreed and purchased two of them.

When I received the parts (the entire seat bracket assembly), it was missing the most important part I was looking for, which was the elongated nuts, both of them to be exact.

When I called him back, he acted like he did not remember, and after being on the phone for 45mins with him, he walked over to the new parts to see the actual part he had in stock.

Okay, he then came back on the line and said he knows what the part looks like now, he would look around his salvage shop and find some, and to give him a few days. So I did, I gave him 4 days.

I called back and he said he found 1 used, but would send me a used one and one new one in a few days.

About 5 days later, I received 2 "new" elongated nuts, but they weren't the Yamaha original parts, it appears all he did was go to an ACE Hardware store and purchased 2 elongated nuts for those long joint pipe threaded screws.

As most of you know, the Yamaha factory elongated nuts are molded and flared at the end of the nut, made to look like a washer, designed so it could grab the frame of the bike and secure your seat pan to the frame.

I called back and informed him of what I just wrote you guys today, and he again acted like he did not remember, put me on hold, came back and told me to mail the nuts back and he would see what he could do.

Unbelievable, I told him the cost of shipping would not be worth mailing them back, and told him I was disappointed and he just said okay.

I would not recommend shopping there.

The trouble this guy put me through in simply buying a used seat parts, made this experience not worth pursuing. I do not recommend buying from him.

It would have been less trouble to buy a used seat off ebay or else where, where you can see actual photo of the part itself.

Avoid Archway International Motorcycle Salvage - or be prepared to deal with someone who really doesn't care about doing something right the first time or fixing it right the 2nd time.
                    79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by dolphans1 View Post
                      Just to keep the board up-to-date, I ordered these parts used from a place called "Archway" or Fog Hollow , A. I. M.S , 1-314-385-3334, their new parts number is 1(800) 366-3464. (So I thought)

Long story short, when I called the guy (owner) he said he had the parts in used condition, two of them to be exact. He had a new part, but said he would give me a break on the used parts, so I agreed and purchased two of them.

When I received the parts (the entire seat bracket assembly), it was missing the most important part I was looking for, which was the elongated nuts, both of them to be exact.

When I called him back, he acted like he did not remember, and after being on the phone for 45mins with him, he walked over to the new parts to see the actual part he had in stock.

Okay, he then came back on the line and said he knows what the part looks like now, he would look around his salvage shop and find some, and to give him a few days. So I did, I gave him 4 days.

I called back and he said he found 1 used, but would send me a used one and one new one in a few days.

About 5 days later, I received 2 "new" elongated nuts, but they weren't the Yamaha original parts, it appears all he did was go to an ACE Hardware store and purchased 2 elongated nuts for those long joint pipe threaded screws.

As most of you know, the Yamaha factory elongated nuts are molded and flared at the end of the nut, made to look like a washer, designed so it could grab the frame of the bike and secure your seat pan to the frame.

I called back and informed him of what I just wrote you guys today, and he again acted like he did not remember, put me on hold, came back and told me to mail the nuts back and he would see what he could do.

Unbelievable, I told him the cost of shipping would not be worth mailing them back, and told him I was disappointed and he just said okay.

I would not recommend shopping there.

The trouble this guy put me through in simply buying a used seat parts, made this experience not worth pursuing. I do not recommend buying from him.

It would have been less trouble to buy a used seat off ebay or else where, where you can see actual photo of the part itself.

Avoid Archway International Motorcycle Salvage - or be prepared to deal with someone who really doesn't care about doing something right the first time or fixing it right the 2nd time.
                      Here is what he mailed me:
                      79 SF

Comment

Seat brackets

I've a few sets of them around here someplace. PM your address and see if it's worth the shipping cost.
                        mack
                        79 XS 1100 SF Special
                        HERMES
                        original owner
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                        SPICA
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                        IOTA
                        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                        Frankford, Ont, Canada
                        613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                          I've a few sets of them around here someplace. PM your address and see if it's worth the shipping cost.
                          Thanks Mack, I sent a PM, just read your message today. I never get email notifications when someone replies to one of my threads, so I just read it a few mins ago.

d-1
                          79 SF

Comment

Digging through bolt bins I found these:

JD says they are exhaust nuts from he thinks a Kawasaki (no quotes here).
                            My bike is missing one. I noticed that since the nut is solid and not open like the oem, I'd need to shorten the bolt. My thinking was, if these won't work at least I would grab the associated M8x1.25 bolt from the bin, grind out the old bolt from the locking tab,

and tack weld the new bolt in that fits these "found" nuts. Bench grinder work removed a few threads from the factory seat bolt, wound on the nut and viola. New seat nut.
                            Factory right, found left.

To remove confusion, I only removed threads to shorten the factory bolt, no other changes made because it worked.
                            Matt
                            81H Rebirth/Custom Build
                            1st Gen RX7; Audi quattro; Wrangler JK
                            PanikSwitch Cycles - Brewer ME
                            http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Arth...201100%20Build

Comment

I used to live just up the road from Archway/Fog Hollow. Remember the Ferguson, MO riots from a month or so ago? That's the area they are located in. It is a REALLY old building that used to be a 2-story skating rink back in the '50s or so, and they are only open on Wed and Sat.. The first time I went in there, they had a complete XJ1100 for sale in the front for $2k, but I ended up getting them to sell me the rear master cylinder off of it. They are VERY disorganized and keep a pile (literally) of bikes up on the 2nd floor. I went in looking for Vetter parts, and they offered to sell me a trunk that had been spray-painted baby blue for $200!! I later found a clean one on CL for $45. Its the kind of place you have to go into knowing exactly what you want, because they have no idea what they have. Part numbers mean nothing to them. Think of it like one of those "American Pickers" barns, full of random bike skeletons.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

nuts for seat

Did you ever get these? I replaced mine with bicycle quick release bolts, I may have the originals around somewhere...
                                Dr. Tim Walters

Florida Atlantic University
                                The Rats
                                Full Flight Foundation, Inc.

"just put the trumpet down and slowly back away..."

"owned by a 79 XS1100 Special"

Comment

Working...
                                X