Side Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://pittsburghmoto.com/blogs/fea...sidecar-racers
    different type than the dog carrier setups yinz are talking but interesting nonetheless. Saw some sidecar action @ mid-ohio during a vintage gran prix once. It looked like a whole lot of fun for people whose cheese is slipping of their cracker.
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Ian:

This might be interesting:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/m...297897784.html
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Hi Mike- People have scared me away from this. Maybe a different bike down the road.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
          That looks like a pretty good deal, wish it was closer to me. When I broke my XS frame it was due to using "velorex" clamps on the down tubes in front of the engine. These were basically u-bolts and, in hindsight, were a major stress point especially when I rode off road. There are two threaded holes at the height of the reflectors that make a good upper mounting point for the front upper bracket. I think I used a Vetter bracket from ebay and had no problems after that and the higher mount made for easier adjustment of toe in and lean out. The rear bottom mount utilized the passenger footpeg area with a welded up mount. Since the XS11 is heavy it helps to have weight on the sidecar to keep it down, I replaced the hack wheel with a front wheel from one of my parts bikes. It just required changing wheel bearings to fit the spindle. I also had a couple of cheap agm batteries for removable ballast as well as, eventually, 3 Springer Spaniels. (If its a herd of cows, its a Spaz of Springers, they loved riding)

Comment

For a faster pace:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/m...300526575.html
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I would love to own a sidecar.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by rockjok View Post

That looks like a pretty good deal, wish it was closer to me. When I broke my XS frame it was due to using "velorex" clamps on the down tubes in front of the engine. These were basically u-bolts and, in hindsight, were a major stress point especially when I rode off road. There are two threaded holes at the height of the reflectors that make a good upper mounting point for the front upper bracket. I think I used a Vetter bracket from ebay and had no problems after that and the higher mount made for easier adjustment of toe in and lean out. The rear bottom mount utilized the passenger footpeg area with a welded up mount. Since the XS11 is heavy it helps to have weight on the sidecar to keep it down, I replaced the hack wheel with a front wheel from one of my parts bikes. It just required changing wheel bearings to fit the spindle. I also had a couple of cheap agm batteries for removable ballast as well as, eventually, 3 Springer Spaniels. (If its a herd of cows, its a Spaz of Springers, they loved riding)
                Hello Rockjok, I'm not sure if you are still reading here but I am very interested in what you did for a lower front mount of the XS11 sidecar. I believe your frame cracked in a way as these pictures demonstrate (pictures might even been from your rig). If anyone has any pictures of sidecar mounts for the XS11 I would be much obliged. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X