2 mufflers needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blank Slate View Post
    Here's the plan guys. I already sold Ben's 2.25 inlet muffler locally on kijiji, I will return the 2.0" inlet supertrapps to summit racing and buy two 1.5" inlet supertrapps. Anyone see how this plan could go wrong, speak up now
    well After looking at your headers I am not sure theres enough there to graft a connector pipe onto it...but I am glad you were able to recoup your losses with the supertrapps...you're bike is a special???
    Last edited by madmax-im; 09-02-2015, 07:41 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
      well After looking at your headers I am not sure theres enough there to graft a connector pipe onto it...but I am glad you were able to recoup your losses with the supertrapps...you're bike is a special???
      Yes I have the special 79. I took some measurements yesterday and the total length of Mack's demo header/muffler setup that is guaranteed to fit the79 special is 42" long from tip to tip. The headers I have are 19.5" long and the super trapps I'm buying are 17" long. So looks like I'll be shorter than Mack's system by 5.5" I know the location of the mounting brackets is what is important, not total length. Here are some pics:

Frame: 79 XS1100S
      Engine: 81 XS1100S
      Carbs: 78-79 BS34

Gf bike: 78 XS650S
      Carbs: 70-79 BS38

Pics: http://tinypic.com/2mpmkpjb

Comment

What about Rasputins offer on a fairly new set of Mac headers?
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
          What about Rasputins offer on a fairly new set of Mac headers?
          If I get Doug's headers I'll have to buy two mufflers anyway since his Macs are 2.25" inlet size?

Current status of exhaust parts is as follow:
          Header: 1.5"
          Muffler: 2.0" will return to summit racing
          Muffler: 2.25" sold

my plan going forward:
          Header: 1.5"
          Muffler: 1.5" buy new from summit racing $230
          Muffler: 1.5" buy new from summit racing $230

Comment

Well whatever you do...good luck
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I almost forgot, yesterday I went to see the dealer and he heard my muffler problem and gave me a part number to look up. 07-0015 $89.99. So I see Mikesxs sells these. And the length/inlet looks like a great fit.

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/07-0015.html

Gonna search the forum and internet to make sure before buying.

Comment

Hi I need 2 mufflers and 4 crushed washers to fit these exhaust pipes. Let me know what you got or where I can find any. Tx.

Stock upswept muffs for 79-81Specials or upswept ones off the 81 Venturer can easily be welded on those head pipes. I'd bolt the rear hanger of them on FIRST to see that they would hit the head pipe collectors decently. If they would come up a half inch short or in that neighborhood, go to your local muffler shop and have short piece out of their 'garbage' barrel expanded slightly to fit OVER TOP of headpipes to be welded in place. Then be able to SLIP over them the mufflers and be welded. Tack in place several places around pipe and then remove and weld all the way around. Re-paint area with Duplicolors High Temp Silver as it WILL NOT dicolor.........actually an easy fix.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi I need 2 mufflers and 4 crushed washers to fit these exhaust pipes. Let me know what you got or where I can find any. Tx.

Stock upswept muffs for 79-81Specials or upswept ones off the 81 Venturer can easily be welded on those head pipes. I'd bolt the rear hanger of them on FIRST to see that they would hit the head pipe collectors decently. If they would come up a half inch short or in that neighborhood, go to your local muffler shop and have short piece out of their 'garbage' barrel expanded slightly to fit OVER TOP of headpipes shortie extension to be welded in place. Then be able to SLIP over them the mufflers and be welded. Tack in place several places around pipe and then remove and weld all the way around. Re-paint area with Duplicolors High Temp Silver as it WILL NOT dicolor.........actually an easy fix.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

So I bought two of the mufflers above, same inlet size as my headers, now what? call a welder with motorcycle experience and tell them I need the header/exhaust to match the configuration of Mack's demo? Below is Mack's header/exhaust that fits the 79 special and my new muffler below it.

Comment

I am thinking you will need to weld a piece in there to swedge down a step to facilitate the muffler install. I would not weld it muffler to header pipe. The total length of it will be long enough to interfere with rear axle stuff, so I would clamp that muffler in place rather than weld it.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                        I am thinking you will need to weld a piece in there to swedge down a step to facilitate the muffler install. I would not weld it muffler to header pipe. The total length of it will be long enough to interfere with rear axle stuff, so I would clamp that muffler in place rather than weld it.
                        Cool thanks for that advice Dougie.
                        Re: the 4-1's, they're still yours but I'm looking for cheaper way to get them to you. Bingo, my gf is going out west next month. Altona, MB. I'll have her bring them as carry on

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                          The guys at Canadian tire said the same thing as you. Clamp not weld. They also said grinding down the header end would prob be needed.

Comment

Gave all the parts to my metal guy. I pray to god he does it right

Comment

Working...
                            X