1980 XS1100G rubber boot for rear master cylinder needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS1100G rubber boot for rear master cylinder needed

The rubber boot connecting the rear brake lever to the rear master cylinder is cracked and leaks brake fluid. Can't find one anywhere so far. Any assistance would be phenomenal. Thanks

That rubber boot is only a dust cover. If it's leaking, the whole master cylinder kit needs to be replaced (or at least cleaned and re-seated).
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Cbug is correct. If your leaking fluid then you need to totally disassemble the master cylinder and go through that.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks guys. First rebuild (obviously). I will go back through and check it out. Unfortunately the Clymer manual doesn't help too much with the brakes. I need some good instructional pics.

Comment

pvsa, take a look at the Yamaha Online Parts Catalog and select: motorcycle, 1980, XS1100G.

Zoom in on the illustration in the "Brake" category and you can see how it all fits together, including the internal parts for the master cylinder.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Always comin' through in the clutch Scott! You've saved me more than once, for sure

Comment

Oi! Is that you, Paul?! You're welcome!
              -- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I'm just not sure of the order in which everything goes back in. I see the brake repairs thing in the tech tips section but there's nothing on the rear master cylinder, just the front...

Comment

Originally posted by pvsa View Post
                  I see the brake repairs thing in the tech tips section but there's nothing on the rear master cylinder, just the front...
                  Well, the rear brake is almost exactly like the front brake except, erm, well, it's at the rear!

Paul, the brakes are just as important as all the go-fast stuff. If you are still even a little bit uncertain about how to repair brakes please find someone with experience to do the work or at least watch carefully and advise while you do the work.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

I got it going. Once I finish all that I can on it, I'm going to get a guy back home to check it all out, make sure all is well.

Comment

Working...
                    X