LOOKING for my old bike... New England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOOKING for my old bike... New England

A long shot, but..... Looking to find and possibly purchase my old 1980 XS1100 Special. Bought it new in 1980 at a Portsmouth, NH dealer. Modded with big bore kit, chromed everything, upgraded suspension, custom fabricated backrest/rack, etc. had a weak moment and sold it in 1986 to a friend in Amesbury, MA. He sold it to a guy in Merrimac, MA (I know his name) and then the trail goes cold... anyone have any tips on how to proceed???

Just some details... Braced, chromed swing arm, chrome CCP fork brace, chromed switch gear, master cyls., lever perches, levers, lower legs, triple trees, engine cam cover, side covers, Lockhart Oil cooler, S & W Street Stroker shocks, UNI foam air filters, Kerker pipe with Supertrapp baffle, Goodyear HST (I THINK) RWL tires, brake rotors drilled in ADDITION to the factory slots, red rear turn signal lenses with SOS stop/tail light mod., had 36,000 miles when I sold it in '86.

If you have the frame number, try posting that. Someone may be riding the bike and not know it.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
      If you have the frame number, try posting that. Someone may be riding the bike and not know it.

I'll have to search hard... that's before I kept good records. If anyone sees a chromed up one like I described, the "birthmark" would be a severely beveled (chromed) stator cover on the RH side that came from over-cooking a 40 mph right hand corner at 100+..... faded across the double solid, through the opposite lane and over the white line but was able to save it and keep riding. The 36" pine trees were only a couple feet away... lesson learned.

And the backrest/rack I custom fabricated from 304 SST, and mahogony rub strips on the rack base.

Comment

I've got an old (vanity) license plate from it, maybe someone from the law enforcement community could back search a VIN???? just a thought... "SHINY" in NH from 1984 to 1986

Comment

A timely bump

Trying to drum up some interest here... http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/1525545895.html

Comment

If you can come up with a frame/engine number, it may be listed here.
            http://micapeak.com/reg/view2/XS11/all/1/75/YYYYYYY/
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Still looking..

I've found and restored a previous bike, a TX750 Yamaha, but still no joy on the hunt for 1980 XS1100SG. Here it is with the backrest on, prior to all the chrome..

And just as I brought it home from the dealer..

With some bud's at April "ice out" ride around Lake Winnepesaukee..

Comment

fall bump

fall bump. any clues?

Comment

Did you happen to check with the insurance company that you insured the bike with for the VIN ? They will have it as part of the records...hopefully you are still using the same company but if not give them a call anyway and talk sweet. Not sure how it works but if your run the VIN search and something pops at least you'll know it's still in (maybe) one piece. You really need a state trooper or someone in law enforcement to do you a solid. If you don't mind updating us what have you done so far?
                  Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
                  1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
                  1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
                    Did you happen to check with the insurance company that you insured the bike with for the VIN ? They will have it as part of the records...hopefully you are still using the same company but if not give them a call anyway and talk sweet. Not sure how it works but if your run the VIN search and something pops at least you'll know it's still in (maybe) one piece. You really need a state trooper or someone in law enforcement to do you a solid. If you don't mind updating us what have you done so far?
                    So far, just here and craigslist. I just contacted my former insurance agent by e-mail, I may call in a favor from my Cousin, a Cheif in a town PD.

Comment

Didn't realize you this thread started 4 1/2 years ago! What did you come up with from your agent? Did you call in a favor from your cousin? I want to see how this plays out!
                      Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
                      1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
                      1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
                        Didn't realize you this thread started 4 1/2 years ago! What did you come up with from your agent? Did you call in a favor from your cousin? I want to see how this plays out!
                        Insurance agent has no records from BC (before computers), he couldn't help. I haven't asked my cousin yet. I'm going in the attic searching for artifacts, maybe a scrap of paper with a VIN

Comment

I've got the seacoast of southern Maine and New Hampshire covered
                          If I see it I'll get names and pics
                          I'm always on the lookout for older bikes in my area and that one would be very hard to miss. I know you said last you knew it was over in the western part of the state but people are drawn to the seacoast to ride
                          I bought several bikes from that shop (Harvey's Yamaha) including the last brand new bike I ever purchased my XJ750 Seca.
                          Gary
                          1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Comment

Thanks for the help so far! Just a bump to see if any new members checking in.

Comment

Looking for my old bike...New England

FWIW, if you have a contact in LE, ask them to track the VIN nation/worldwide for a registration. If they're GOOD friends, and are savvy, they will come up with a lie that will fly for the search. Worst case, you find the last registered owner. If it's still out there, you would find at least that.

Comment

Working...
                              X