This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spreading the word..

I've just made my son read this article and it's opened his eyes, if you'll excuse the pun. When I was teaching him to ride I always said to him before he went out to keep in mind that every other vehicle out there was trying to kill him and consider every other driver as an idiot who doesnt know the road rules, because you have no way of knowing if they do. He forgot these simple rules one day a couple of years ago and assumed he'd been seen when he hadn't and wound up lying on the road with two broken femurs and a smashed right hip. He's riding again but he's a lot more aware of other drivers now.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I passed this on to my dispatcher who in turn passed it on to our company safety dude. I imagine that as Drivers we will be seeing it soon in our safety bulletins as he was very impressed with it. He is a rider as well. We did have an incident where one of our drivers was hit by a biker and the biker was killed. Ruled "no fault" to our driver but he will never drive a commercial truck again. He can't get over the fact that the rider died in front of his eyes. I drive for a living and I ride as well so I look a bit better than most, but hell I can lose a whole car (Blocked by my mirrors) so on a bike you are very vulnerable.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
        I can lose a whole car (Blocked by my mirrors) so on a bike you are very vulnerable.
        There is a Semi demo rig that goes around proving that point to the public. I've never personally seen it, but we discussed it at my MSF class. They set up 4 cop cars and 28 bikes around a truck, and have regular people get in and sit in the cab. They look in the mirrors and realize that they can't see ANY of the vehicles because they are all in the blind spots.

I printed out several copies of the little booklet I made out of this post, and gave them to the MSF instructors. They liked them so much they handed them out to the class and asked for the URL so they could find it again.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
        X