No announcement yet.

2018 Colorado Rally, July 12-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the Colorado scenery but my lowland bike hates the elevation. We'll see. might head north or southeast next year.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

What do you think makes it so uncooperative at this elevation? Most XS bikes seem to do okay. Understanding that there will be some difference at the extreme elevations of mountain passes and tops of mountains.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Well Howard, Tulsa is about 650 feet. It runs great here. We are BOTH panting above 8 - 10K.

Wasn't too bad last year though. Not ruling it out.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

LOL, yeah it makes anything that relies on O2 perform less than optimally!
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz
            I’ll second the Tarryall road, newer pavement and twisties. Buena Vista to Hartsel, east on 24 to the Tarryall road, up to Jefferson, west backover to FairPlay then Hwy 285 back to Bueny. Or reverse. Good 135-ish mile ride. Fairplay is the current “home” to the “Hoffman crew” in the Discovery Channel show “Gold Rush”. Maybe catch a sneak peek of them at a watering hole for lunch if they are still mining there next summer.
            I get through Fairplay quite often as my 7 acre mountain lot is near there, south of Como off Hwy 285. Saw some of the Hoffman crew eating at a local place, the Brown Burro, last summer otherwise they seem to have little presence in the town. I've eaten at the same spot and the food is good and reasonably priced but the hours of operation are spotty, mostly weekends.

Will mention that although the County has been working on improving the Tarryall Road south of Jefferson running to Hwy 24, the upper end (Jefferson) has a lot of potholes and rough spots so speed is not high. Nice canyon, though, and several pioneer buildings remain along the creek.

A possible side trip is to turn east at Jefferson on Hyw 285 and ride to the top of Kenosha Pass which is 8 - 10 miles away. Good views of South Park coming back down the west side. At the top of the pass is a campground (potential rest stop) and "historic" spot as the railroad crossed here. There is some interpretive signage and part of a railroad "Y" recreated for those with an interest in old railroads. Moose are often seen at the nearby lake. The Pacific Crest hiking trail (Canada to Mexico) crosses here as well. I've run my ATV from the campground, where the trail starts, up to the top of North Twin Cone Peak. The ATV trail follows the old railroad bed for a way. JAT
            Last edited by Jerry; 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I wish Erik would do another Lost Rally in Michigan again. That was fun.
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                I get through Fairplay quite often as my 7 acre mountain lot is near there, south of Como off Hwy 285. Saw some of the Hoffman crew eating at a local place, the Brown Burro, last summer otherwise they seem to have little presence in the town. I've eaten at the same spot and the food is good and reasonably priced but the hours of operation are spotty, mostly weekends.

Will mention that although the County has been working on improving the Tarryall Road south of Jefferson running to Hwy 24, the upper end (Jefferson) has a lot of potholes and rough spots so speed is not high. Nice canyon, though, and several pioneer buildings remain along the creek.

A possible side trip is to turn east at Jefferson on Hyw 285 and ride to the top of Kenosha Pass which is 8 - 10 miles away. Good views of South Park coming back down the west side. At the top of the pass is a campground (potential rest stop) and "historic" spot as the railroad crossed here. There is some interpretive signage and part of a railroad "Y" recreated for those with an interest in old railroads. Moose are often seen at the nearby lake. The Pacific Crest hiking trail (Canada to Mexico) crosses here as well. I've run my ATV from the campground, where the trail starts, up to the top of North Twin Cone Peak. The ATV trail follows the old railroad bed for a way. JAT
                Jerry,

The Tarryall road is in pretty good condition, I've ridden it a couple of times this past year (including the trip back from the last rally) and I was juts out at the reservoir two weeks ago duck hunting.

-Sebastian
                79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  I wish Erik would do another Lost Rally in Michigan again. That was fun.
                  Hey Ian is that just so you can go back to the Gay Bar or was that a different Rally ?
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thank heavens this thread is about the Colorado rally and not the Michigan rally...
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I was on the southern half of the road from hwy 24 to Tarryall Reservoir this spring ice fishing and it was in superb shape. It had just been repaved.

I like the other ride idea you shared Jerry as well. Overall, I think Sebastian has come up with a doable location with lots of draw for new roads and new scenery for veterans of the rally and newcomers alike.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Glad to hear the Tarryall road has been improved. Has always been a pleasant ride. The county had been working on it last time I rode that stretch but it was not completely done, apparently they finished their work!
                        Last edited by Jerry; 11-07-2017, 09:23 AM.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.

Comment

Also in the area but probably not a viable option for a rally is Jefferson Lake. The lake is a volcanic caldera, quite deep, and is quite attractive. Two problems: Getting there includes gravel roads and it is a fee area ($7 per vehicle) not covered by National Parks passes.
                          Link:

If anyone plans to spend additional time in the area this might be something to add to your itinerary.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.

Comment

Good stuff!
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I really hope they finish up paving Cottonwood Pass by rally season next year, this was the ride I was hoping to base everything off of, haha.

(I have mixed emotions about that pass being paved, great for bikes but it only adds to more RVs in the mountains which drive me nuts).

Side note, if any of you guys like fishing it might be worthwhile to pack a small rod. There are a lot of great places to throw a line in up around Buena Vista.
                              79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                                Well Howard, Tulsa is about 650 feet. It runs great here. We are BOTH panting above 8 - 10K.

Wasn't too bad last year though. Not ruling it out.
                                Food for thought so the speak.....again. Idle mixtures set at highest in. vacuum ARE to rich. Get away with it at your near sea-level location, but not above 4,000ft. elev. Again, lean drop method will cover ALL elevations, and is the correct way of setting idle mixtures, whether it be automotive style carbs, tractor up-draft style or motorcycle carbs. Your fortunate, I pant anything above 6,500ft. elev..
                                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                                X