starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter problems

Tried to crank my '79 XS 1100 after sitting for a couple of weeks...assumed battery dead and tried to charge. Wouldn't crank - sounded a couple of clicks but wouldn't engage starter. Dealer confirmed battery good and put another charge on it. Same thing. Hit the starter, a couple of clicks and nothing. I broke out the kick starter for the first time since the bike was new and got it started...ran rough and backfired more than usual. Bike has been running really smooth and strong until now - other than occasional backfire when cold. Does this sound like a starter or solenoid issue? Fuses checked out ok too. Weather just getting nice and I'm grounded. Any ideas? I hate to just start looking for parts to buy.

Solenoid or bad ground...........maybe both.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Try shorting across the solenoid leads. If the bike starts with that, the starter is ok, and the solenoid is likely at fault. I had been having similar intermittent issues lately, and ended up taking my solenoid apart and rebuilding it. Now it starts fine every time with just a touch of the button.

Of course, this is assuming you have already checked/cleaned all the grounds and other related elecrical connections.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

You may also want to check your voltage regulator out. If it is running rough after you get it started, then the solenoid is not the only problem (if it is the issue).
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Actually I was thinking along the same lines. The fact that starting it without using the starter and it's running poorly points to the problem being something other than the starter, maybe along the lines of low battery voltage from a non-functional charging system.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            Actually I was thinking along the same lines. The fact that starting it without using the starter and it's running poorly points to the problem being something other than the starter, maybe along the lines of low battery voltage from a non-functional charging system.
            Good suggestions all.
            I like to check for the easiest, cheapest, likely problems first. A dirty corroded connection on the ground wire (either end can cause all kinds of troubles.) This is not uncommon. The metal eye came off the end of mine and I replaced the ground wire.

Sometimes a bad battery can show good voltage, but produce very low cranking amps. Too many extra lights can draw down voltage, even on a properly working charging system (especially at low RPMs)... Could unhook battery, connect to good car battrery with jumper cables, completely isolating bad battery possibility. Much cheaper than buying a new battery just to see.

Good luck wrenching,
            Brent in GA
            It is a great big beautiful world out there
            Brent in GA
            Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Starter might be bad. Give it a good whack with a dead blow hammer and see if you get a good crank out of it. It can be rebuilt. I won't refute the other possibilities, just adding another one.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

fixed?

Originally posted by Sam Harrell View Post
                Tried to crank my '79 XS 1100 after sitting for a couple of weeks...assumed battery dead and tried to charge. Wouldn't crank - sounded a couple of clicks but wouldn't engage starter. Dealer confirmed battery good and put another charge on it. Same thing. Hit the starter, a couple of clicks and nothing. I broke out the kick starter for the first time since the bike was new and got it started...ran rough and backfired more than usual. Bike has been running really smooth and strong until now - other than occasional backfire when cold. Does this sound like a starter or solenoid issue? Fuses checked out ok too. Weather just getting nice and I'm grounded. Any ideas? I hate to just start looking for parts to buy.
                Hi Sam.
                did you get starting issues resolved? What was it? How did you get it fixed?
                I found a bad connection on plug for two small wwires from the solenooil on mine today. See " what did you do to your bike today thread? (general discussion.) Now good to go
                It is a great big beautiful world out there
                Brent in GA
                Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

So, you have a problem in the starter curcuit. Could not the rough running be from sitting?
                  "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                  X