Summer ride south help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer ride south help

You folks in Cali can give me some ideas i hope. I want to take a ride south from Portland, Oregon down 101, then accross somewhere around Bakersfield, then up around Angels Camp, then on to Reno area, and back up home on old 97. I want to stay off the main highways as much as possible. Firstly, is 101 really bad in the summer? Are there ways to avoid all the congestion in that state.I am looking at maps, but i know that sometimes there are ways to go that a tourist doesn't know about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This ride would more than likely be in September.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Bakersfield is WAY south of the turnoff for Angles camp. About 4 hours south. I would think of heading over to 395 and coming north up to hiway 88 then cutting over to hwy 4 from hwy 89 then down to Angles Camp. You will find plenty of distractions on that route. You will wind up in the gold country and plenty to sidetrack you there too. You could zig-zag over the Sierras all the way up if you want.
    Pm if you want the tour route.
    Rodger
    Last edited by latexeses; 12-06-2009, 02:58 AM.
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

101 is really bad, no matter what time of year it is. Remember that down there, the "standard" seasons don't exist. The only seasons there are: Earthquake, Fire, Flood, and Drought (Seriously! The news even refers to them that way!).
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I came up 101 from SoCal in October and was suprised how rough some the the hwy 1 sections had become. Headed up 101 from Lompoc and some of the sections semed rough as well. Although I was driving a 85 Toy 4x4 with extra leaf springs in the rear.

Came over the coast range to I-5 on 41 I believe. All I could think of was how much fun that road would be on a bike.

Rodger
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
        X