Another Central Coast Rally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Central Coast Rally!

Last month when Ray and I tried to do a central coast rally there were several riders who expressed interest in an October Ride.
    Well, as it turns out our loco Harley club, "The Ghost Mountain Riders" are having their annual "Last Daze o' Summer" run on Oct 18th
    They/we meet at a local restaurant and ride 90 or so miles as a "pack ride" and end up at "Camp Krem," which is a camp for, shall we say, mentally challenged Kids.. This is an awesome party facility! In exchange for the privilege of using their facilities to party very heartily, the Goasties donate several thousand dollars on every run to Camp Krem! Cost $20 a head which includes a tri-tip dinner and the right to witness such Harley rider entertainment as the "women's beer drinking contest," the "strongman competition' and the all popular "burnout contest." This ride includes a short section of PCH, up through Lahonda, on to Alice's Restaurant and down "Skyline Drive" (Hwy 35) and Hwy 9: very fun, and very scienic ride
    Ray and I are going, and we would really enjoy the company of one or two other XSives. If you haven't been on a pack ride with up to 700 other bikes, with the CHP stop traffic for you... well, you are missing something! We don't have to stick around for the festivities after the tri-tip. There are lots of other places to go and things to do.
    If you missed the last Central Coast Ride, maybe you can make this one.
    E.Liberty
    Hm # 831-338-4979
    cell # 831-566-9474
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

REALLY wish I could make this one, but with what happened to that nice state job recently (BTW, anyone hiring IT guys?), I doubt if I could.
    1981 XS1100S (former)
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

I just had an email from a person looking for an IT/help desk in Monterey, CA. A little far, but the riding is nice.
      Let me know if I can help, as I am looking myself!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My buddy and I can make it.

I ordered a new seat cover for my bike from B and H Specialties in Texas and I just rebuilt a bank of Keihin CV carbs for my buddy's 1980 Honda CB900C Custom.

I'll be tuning and synch'ing the Honda this evening and, hopefully, the new seat cover will get here before we leave. Now that both of our bikes are running - at the same time! we're finally making the ride up to Oregon that we've had on the burner since the beginning of summer.

It's a bit late in the year but the 18th is as good a weekend as any other weekend to ride/surf/snorkle up to the great wet norf.

Regards,

Scott
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Good news; Bad news; Good news

The good news is that my buddy's bike fired right up on first touch of the starter button. I synch'd the carbs and it purrs like a kitten at idle and runs like... well, the way a thirty-year-old Honda 900 is supposed to run!

The bad news is that B and H Specialties doesn't have the measurements for a 1980 Standard seat so I'm going to have to ship the seat to Texas.

The good news is that B and H Specialties will have the measurements the next time someone needs a 1980 XS1100G Standard seat cover.

I don't know if this will get done before the 18th. I'll know more tomorrow, but without a seat on my bike I guess I have plenty of time to clean, polish and wax; sort and upload some pictures from a local canyon cruise; write a ride report; make a mount somewhere on the bike for my cellphone video cam; clean some more, polish some more, wax some more; find more spare parts; synch the carbs; find some leathers and wet/cold weather gear; clean some more, polish some more, wax some more; reorganize my digital music collection; pick lint off the dogs; clip the cats' nails and give them a bath; visit the E.R.....

Maybe I'll quit smoking.

Regards,

Scott
          -- Scott
          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Not Going To Make The 18th

After the USPS had its way with me and my poor, tattered, motorcycle seat locked into its oversized-but-reluctantly-approved-at-triple-rate shipping box I can see no way, barring Divine intervention, that I'll get it back anywhere near the 18th of this month.

I bought a '79 750 final drive from eBay with which to console myself and keep busy while I quit smoking. Right now I think I could probably gnaw that copper spacer to the correct length without a saw.

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

Re: Not Going To Make The 18th

Originally posted by 3Phase
              After the USPS had its way with me and my poor, tattered, motorcycle seat locked into its oversized-but-reluctantly-approved-at-triple-rate shipping box I can see no way, barring Divine intervention, that I'll get it back anywhere near the 18th of this month.

I bought a '79 750 final drive from eBay with which to console myself and keep busy while I quit smoking. Right now I think I could probably gnaw that copper spacer to the correct length without a saw.

Regards,

Scott
              You know, I know of a final drive you could have had up here, sitting in my shed...
              1981 XS1100S (former)
              2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

<Looking up from a small pile of copper shavings>

If this thing turns out to be a turkey I'll keep it in mind!

~$30 delivered by priority shipping from Wisconsin. I couldn't drive to the local wrecking yard and back and pay that. I'm going to go through it with a fine tooth comb before installing it but it looks like it will clean up nicely; maybe some paint.

Testing it without a seat's gonna be a hoot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250304215709

Regards,

Scott (I wanna smoke....)
                -- Scott
                _____

Comment

Update to all, the actual date of the run is the [B]25th of October!![B] That gives you one extra week to get the seat back!! I don't know how Ed and I got it wrong, but I just checked the Ghost Riders site, and picked up the date from there.
                  No smoking, Scott, you can still make it, and NOT have to sit on a board!!
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

No Seat No Smoking

The 25th, eh? That's great news!

Well, it's all down to the seat people, now. They estimated something like two weeks after they received it so it's possible I'll get it back in time if it wasn't shipped to their shop in Texas via slow boat to Malaysia and back through the Panama Canal.

The 750 differential mod was going well until I hit a snag but at least I'm doing good quitting smoking!

Regards,

Scott
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

Hey ya'll, hope you can make it. I've got a big tent with a single mattress bed and a couch in my cabin, and Ray can probably put up one rider. So far we have Ray, me, and one , possably two other local Riders of XS.
                      You probably noticed that I changed my "handle:" more fitting, I think...

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
                        So far we have Ray, me, and one , possably two other local Riders of XS.
                        You probably noticed that I changed my "handle:" more fitting, I think...
                        Nice namechange, Ed! <chuckling>

I sent the seat with "Delivery Confirmation" and, so far, I haven't heard from the USPS or B&H seatcovers. Everything's closed for the weekend so I'll make some calls tomorrow, Monday, and find out what's going on.

I have that growing mushroom feeling....

Regards,

Scott (Still not smoking!)
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Don't sweat the small stuff, Scott!

I've been riding my bike without a second gear for a year, at least. Now the clutch cable is breaking one thread at a time. I've been researving the clutch for getting of the line and shifting clutchless the rest of the time. I ordered a new one, picked it up yesterday, and of course it was the wrong one. I hpe to get the right one by Saturday!
                          No seat? Take a pillow, wrap an old jacket around it, bungie it down and hit the road!
                          Congrats on not smoking!
                          Special Ed

Comment

Over the hump and still not smoking!

I have a spare clutch cable (and throttle cable) I'll be toting along but it's for a Standard: 49" sleeve, 53" total length.
                            Too short?

B&H called and the seat'll be ready soon but not in time for this weekend. I got the temporary seat thing goin' on; had to put a piece of cardboard under the pillow to keep it from blocking the snorkel but it works. A spare seat's on the way for this weekend.

This is going to be fun!

Regards,

Scott
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

This is going to be fun!

Ya sure! Yep, standard cable be too short, but I got a new cable today and maybe be O.K. Don't know for sure because I picked it up late and haven't had a chance to check it out. But hell, I got clutchless shifting down anyway!
                              Special Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X