• Escambia Motorcycle (Junkyard) - Brewton, Alabama

ESCAMBIA MOTORCYCLES
    "KEN"
    405 Petty Road
    Brewton, AL 36426
    OPEN- Thursday, Friday, & Saturday ONLY
    251-867-8506

Hey XS11 Guys,

I always want to share when a new parts location is found. As mentioned in another post, my ole' reliable semi-local favorite motorcycle junkyard has closed.

I'm deep into a couple Yamaha GT80 Restoration projects for my Grandsons and needed a bunch of stuff. I found a video on YouTube about Escambia Motorcycle Junkyard in LA (Lower Alabama as we call it "LA" - ) and decided to make the ~3.5 hour trip to LA and take a look.

WHAT AN ADVENTURE! UNBELIEVEABLE amount of motorcycles at this place.... THOUSANDS!. I could have spent days here and not seen everything I wanted to check out.

Apparently, the business use to located in Pensacola (Escambia County Florida) but relocated north to LA retaining the original business name. According to the owner, KEN, he purchased multiple bike junkyards that were going out of business. He has literally dozens of 55 gallons drums full of carbs from one to the businesses he purchased (good luck finding a carb in them! ).

Anyway, there a easily a dozen XS11's, several XS750/850,s, bunches of XS650s, RDs of all shapes and sizes, XV Viragos all over the place, Dirt Bikes, 4-Wheelers, etc.

TODAY's HUNT!

I was hunting for GT80s which are REALLY hard to find and KEN had easily a dozen in various stages of rust. Fortunately, I was able to find my most sought after item.... a replacement carb!

I also had to grab a full bottom end from one of the clunkers. Not a real good looking motor exposed for YEARS without a head and no oil cap but I only need third gear which SHOULD have been able to survive the years and rain.... Sitting now with ATF & Acetone trying to get it cleaned out inside... tomorrow I'll try to find the time to disassemble it. Really sucked in the LA heat and too dumb to remember to bring a couple bottles of water...

Today's Acquistions & Cost
    • GT80 Bottom End - Complete but poor shape, no head
    • GT80 Carb - NICE - Needs the typical rebuild.
    • GT80 Rear Brake Lever - Nice Chrome
    • GT80 Speedo - Nice, a little rusty on bottom can be fixed.
    • GT80 Full wiring harness (like 10 wires - LOL)
    • Honda CT70 Bars & Upper Tree - (another long standing unfinished project)
    • Mississippi M/C License Plate (I'm collecting M/C plates now and want to get all 50 currently have over 20)
    • Cost: $220 Cash - Not cheapo.... but not highway robbery either.... FAIR!
      • The cheapest carb I could find on Evil-Bay was crap and >$100.
    Anyone in the region that needs a part should drop in and take a look. Ken will sell parts long-distance but doesn't accept Credit Cards, wire transfers, Venmo or any of that crap. Personally, I'd easily accept the word of KEN and trust parts purchased would be shipped as promised.

VYR OFFER:
    I'll very likely be going back to Escambia soon, even if only to enjoy waking the yard. If anyone attending the upcoming Vintage Yamaha Rally in Stecoah needs anything, I'd be more than happy to grab it and bring with me. Just let me know.

Let me know if you have any questions....

Kurt

PS..... This is the current project. I have three(3) of these GT80's and this is the first one ready to ride, licensed, insured, and ALMOST done.
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

VEEERY Cool,,,,always nice to know there are parts somewhere and people that have a passion for old bikes. We had a great motorcycle boneyard awhile back near Barstow Ca,,,,went back for parts and it was cleared out completely, the neighbor said it was all sold for scrap metal price,,,I about cried,,,,thousands of bikes, all in order, many in great shape as it was in the desert and he sold it all for scrap, apparently got tired of selling and storing used bikes, it still hurts, anyway, glad you found a goldmine of stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ride on,,,,Mike in S.Diego and Pa.

Comment

Oh snap. Next time I'm going down to the beach I'll have to stop by there

Comment

Working...
      X