April Ride Opportunity

Dates: Friday / Saturday / Sunday April 20, 21 & 22

Meet Point: Slidell Louisiana
    I-10 @ US190
    La Quinta for Friday night April 20th
    Phone: 985-643-9770 about $90 a room

Destination:
    Angola Rodeo at the Louisiana State Penitentiary

St. Francisville LA (on the Mississippi River) we be there say 11am to 5pm GOOD EATS TOO but no cell phones, no cameras allowed
    Need tickets $20 http://www.angolarodeo.com/?q=Tickets

Saturday Night April 21st:
    not much for motels within 20-40 miles. Natchez or Zachary or Baton Rouge would be your best bet
    but fwiw: Don & I going to cross the mighty Mississippi and stay at a new Best Western in New Roads
    False River BW (225) 618-5725 $130 including all the taxes, but with full hot breakfast

Don from Tallahassee will be riding over to Slidell on Fri 20th.
    He will be the lucky dog stopping at 'the Shed BBQ and Blues joint' exit 57, MS 57.
    I'm not sure yet if I will be heading to Slidell from Montgomery or Atlanta or a tbd.

Ride & Rodeo a great combination. Plan to join us if you can.
    Rodeo likely will be sold out so getting a ticket at the gate on Sat 21st would be a crap-shoot.
    Order one now if you think you want to go.

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffH; 03-25-2018, 08:08 PM.
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

fwiw,
    sitting in Section 10 - i got my 3 seats there. Sec 10 Row E

surprised to see all the seats in Sections 12-21 straight across from the launch stall gates are pretty much already Sold Out. Left & Right ends are still available as are the seats left and right of the launch gates. btw: it is covered seating so if it happens to rain the show goes on.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      Willingly going to a penitentiary sounds like a bad idea
      Do I need to mention I am envious and looking forward to the pictures
      Say Hi to Don. Have fun.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Still have time to plan a ride
        In a week we will be "Heading to the Penitentiary"

Plan is to meet for lunch Friday April 20 around 1pm at Dick Russell's BBQ in Tillmans Corners Alabama
        https://www.dickrussells.com/memories/ and https://www.dickrussells.com/
        Dick Russell's BBQ is on US90 just north of I-10 exit 15B. Dick's is on the west side Frontage Road / Access Road / Service Road whatever they call it where you live. Have to get off US90 and get on the US90 Frontage road. Less than a mile north of I-10 exit 15B.

Planning to meet Don from Tallahassee and likely Brent there for lunch. Not sure who else at this point. Then ride due west on Three Notch Rd into Mississippi, all back roads to Saucier MS then more back roads to hit US90 in Pass Christian then follow the Gulf of Mexico on US90 then break off at White Kitchen for the short ride into La Quinta Slidell.

Then ride up to the Louisiana State Penitentiary for the Rodeo on Saturday AM.

unfortunately haven't had any time at all yet to twist a wrench on any of the xs11's. So may need to roll out an off-brand spare for this ride.

Join us if you can

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Almost ride time. Weather is looking to be perfect. No pics from the event. Looking forward to some great rodeo riding.

Prison Rodeo Policies REVISED
          NOTICE - Introduction of Contraband including but not limited to drugs, alcohol, weapons or cell phones into the prison is a felony for which you will be prosecuted under L.R.S. 14:402
          By entering this penal institution, you have consented to a search of your person, property and vehicle.
          No food, drink, umbrellas, stadium seats, or cameras are allowed through the rodeo entrance gate.
          All weapons, ammunition, alcohol and drugs must be deposited at the Front Gate before entering the institution.
          All purses, diaper bags, belt pouches, etc., must be clear and no larger than 12”x6”x12” and will be searched before you enter the rodeo grounds. No food items or ice chests will be allowed. Ice chests must be locked inside the vehicle.
          All vehicles are to be locked. All knives, cell phones, cameras, or video equipment should be left inside your locked vehicle. All tools must be locked in a toolbox or inside the vehicle.
          Louisiana State Penitentiary is a smoke free facility. No smoking materials are allowed inside of the rodeo grounds.
          ALL UNLOCKED VEHICLES WILL BE SEARCHED

Still haven't had time to work on an xs11
          Hopefully in a few weeks.

Guess I'll be riding the GL1800 so I can hit the button and lock all the bags to avoid that search.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

On the road again

Heading to Louisiana. A short 206 mile ride yesterday. A perfect sunny and 70. The day before was a humid - hot 84 so the cooler 70 was just perfect. After the fight to get out of Atlanta the route was GA34 which becomes AL22. Then AL63. Rolling hills, curves, great scenery, sparse traffic.

Wehadkee Yarn Mills in Rock Mills Alabama
            Cotton Yard spinning mill first built in 1837

Stayed overnight in Montgomery AL. Waiting for Brent to show up about 07:30 so we can ride to Tillmans Corners

Jeff
            Last edited by JeffH; 04-20-2018, 05:22 AM.
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Another cool trip for Jeff. and Brent too. Nice.
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                Another cool trip for Jeff. and Brent too. Nice.
                Yes it was nice to get out and ride with Brent. Trip was 1,397 miles. Route included some very nice back roads in SW Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Really enjoyable variety of scenery, curvy roads and hills. I had a series of roads I wanted to try and they turned out to be great with smooth pavement. Rally ride quality. Brent was smiling. Worthy of a re-do before the summer heat and humidity ramps up.

Rodeo at the prison was very entertaining. It is quite the production. We enjoyed it very much and recommend it. I hope to go back again some day. It is held one weekend a year in April, then Sundays in October.

Thurs, Fri & Sat were sunny, warm and nice. Sun afternoon was payback - the storms started. Got wet a few times. No tornado, just spots of heavy rain. Don got the worst of it going home in across the Florida panhandle, but made it ok but water logged.

We had a good time. Wish more xsives could have joined us. Three of us split the motel room, like the good ol' days.
                Will try and post a couple pics

Jeff
                Last edited by JeffH; 04-23-2018, 05:17 PM.
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

A few pictures. Arm wrestled with photobucket and it seems to be working (for me anyways)

Nice warm & sunny day to be on a trip heading into Alabama – turned around to say Adios
                  Spring has sprung and is about over here in the south

Been riding on Rifle Range Road but needed to cross the Tallapoosa River more like a rip-off imho

After a spirited back roads ride in SW Alabama here is Brent anxious for BBQ lunch in Tillmans Corners

Jeff
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                    Thanks as always good to read your reports. Nice pictures. Glad Brent was able to join you and Don.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                    X