Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PeachPass Lane - Free but only to REGISTERED Bikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, similiar deals in all the major-Metros. They all have their unique dynamics.

But none of those wire guardrails in "the ATL". Have to get 50 miles out of town to see those gems. Just those concrete barricades in ATL.

No pullover or space between lane & wall. Wall is the lane. Riding a long with your mirror dragging on the concrete on one side and an Audi or BMW a few inches off your tail. In fact if the old bike even hick-ups there are serious consequence. Not bike friendly. Say going northbound WOT with the mirror dragging on the concrete barrier, you could reach out a slap a biker going southbound. Problems mostly between 6:30AM and 10AM and then 3PM to 7PM. Otherwise not bad.

As you say, a way to generate new revenues from the highway and a way to write a bunch of tickets. But tickets are electronic because there is absolutely no way to stop a car out there. Only in light traffic can an officer pull over a car. Its all monitored with electronic and surveillance.

Atlanta has huge volumes of semi's. Thousands of huge distribution centers here. Thousands of trucks In & Out & Transit per day driven by about 99.9% professional drivers. Here the trucks are not the problem. Its reckless I don't care car drivers. The ones cutting lane to lane and the ones 5" off the taillight of the vehicle in front.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Restrictions

Truckers are restricted to the right two lanes on some of the interstates in GA, NC, and SC. I-285 (perimeter) in Atlanta is one of those. GA State Patrol will quickly cite you if you are in a truck out of those lanes.

Most people do not comprehend the sign that says "Slower Traffic Keep Right". I am speaking of all people nationwide. GA is/was proposing a new law that requires you to move over or pay a penalty. Good luck with enforcing that. Atlanta traffic is stupid 24/7 365 days a year. Time of day dictates varying degrees of stupidity.

Out of town people passing through are completely amazed as they are driving the speed limit through town while being passed by the locals running 70-80 mph. Must be something in the water? Scares the hell out of a lot of folks.

Traffic offenders in GA create a gold mine for the state.
      Last edited by MPittma100; 09-05-2016, 09:49 AM.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Diamond & PeachPass

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
        Do y'all have lane restrictions for GVWR/number of axles or do you see big trucks and trailers in the HOV lanes down there?
        3Phase,
        There are significant restrictions on the truckers. Basically, they are restricted to the outside loop (I-285) AROUND the city (truly a big circle around). Interstates I-75 & I-85 cross through the city and for about 8 miles +/- they become one and are referred to as "The Connector". Trucks are forbidden on the connector except for local deliveries within the city. Obviously, I prefer crossing in a cage or bike using the connector route to transition the city North->South or vice-versa because of the lack of trucking.

Within the "Connector Area" there is a true DIAMOND lane like you would see in many areas of the country. Clearly marked and restricted to: 2+ Occupancy Vehicles, ECO Friendly Cars (Must have a green leaf tag), and Motorcycles. NO other special permits needed.

There are areas outside the I-285 Circle where the interstates (I-20, I-75, I-85) consist of Seven(7) lanes each direction. Trucks (3 Axle+) are clearly restricted to the right three or less. Although, they will cheat a little they risk a lot as the Troopers will snare them in a minute!

Now, on the outside of the I-285 "Circle" on the Northeast Corner where I-85 heads toward South Carolina (Jeff's Area) they have the "Peach Pass Lane". Jeff described it well! It is a HOV lane and it is Free to HOVS and BIKES, BUT without the transponder tag they will take a photo of your tag and MAIL YOU AN ENORMOUS TICKET!

In a few weeks another one of these PeachPass areas will be active on the Southeast Corridor of I-75 coming and going to ATL.

I've not experienced the ticket but they tell me they are doozies!

KURT
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Traffic Citation $

http://www.governing.com/topics/fina...g-tickets.html
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I was given advice to run in the HOV lanes when running the downtown connector...however...I am leary of concrete walls and people speeding from behind and plowing through me...as there is only ONE HOV lane so how do you pass the vehicle ahead of you???..At 8:30 a.m. on a Sat..i just rode in the other lanes and basically stayed in one lane all the way...there was a stretch for a couple miles where all the traffic bunched up but it never stopped moving and I was able yo make my exit onto GA400...Luckily I met with Jeff and we went a different route. Had I not met jeff then i would have had many miles of single lane traffic on GA400...and it would have been boring and hot...Thankyou Jeff!!!
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
            X