• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida

Hi anyone want to come help me with my bike lol
    Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
    1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Sorry, missed by 24 hours. Yesterday I left Sarasota and headed north up 301 to Ocala. Right through Zephyrhills. After a week at sea level, got a nose bleed at that whopping 200 ft elevation in Z-hills. Left a day early to get back to Atlanta before the rain & cool down. In Moultrie GA this am.
    A missed ride opportunity. As I recall from your posts, your bike is running good now?

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffH; 02-14-2015, 07:30 AM.
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks Jeff

Feel free to stop by anytime Jeff, Yea bike is running good but I need to adjust my lifters, change my intake boots, and I guess have someone that knows these bikes hear it run. lol

Comment

anybody?

Is there anyone in the area that can help me.....

Comment

work day on bike

Would love to tear apart my forks and front end but would like to have some one who can help that knows what they are doing.

Comment

On Sunday Feb 21 my plan is to ride south Groveland to Polk City on 33 (on the way to Punta Gorda).
            If your bike is running come out and meet the group if you can. It would be great to finally meet up with you.

For that matter, we could even head to the Z-hills for lunch I guess. If you are available. Would come south on 471 if we did that.
            Something has to be open around there on Sunday to get a sandwich (or yummy hotdog @ 301 Grill). Are you in N, W or S of Z-Hills?

For the Forks / front end work etc. i forgot if you had garage or not? When i did my XS11E front end I did new upper & lower steering bearings & races,
            took the forks to traxxion dynamics for custom springs and emulators. You thinking of fork seals only or fully monty with bearing clean & grease?
            imho, the work is pretty easy (if hit no snags) once the bike is fully/totally/100% secure from falling over with the forks off & handle bars suspended.

Oh, btw: it would be a long stretch to say that i know what i am doing since i'm not a trained mechanic. Just a dude that likes to RIDE and has a couple wrenches.
            Hopefully the guru's will chime in.

Jeff
            Last edited by JeffH; 02-02-2016, 07:38 PM.
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

What do you want to do to the forks?

If you have never greased the steering bearings, I expect the top one is dry. That needs to be done. Fork oil should be changed at about every third engine oil change. If you're looking for improved performance, I would recommend at least changing the springs to something custom for your weight and riding style.

Whatever it is, we can probably talk you through it.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                What do you want to do to the forks?

If you have never greased the steering bearings, I expect the top one is dry. That needs to be done. Fork oil should be changed at about every third engine oil change. If you're looking for improved performance, I would recommend at least changing the springs to something custom for your weight and riding style.

Whatever it is, we can probably talk you through it.
                Hmmm.........my fork oil gets changed when the seals start leaking. Usually about 4 - 5 years or 60 - 70K miles. Never seen anything anywhere that says change it at 9K miles. I would have to change it 5,6, times a year.
                Last edited by BA80; 02-04-2016, 07:22 PM.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  Hmmm.........my fork oil gets changed when the seals start leaking. Usually about 4 - 5 years or 60 - 70K miles. Never seen anything anywhere that says change it at 9K miles. I would have to change it 5,6, times a year.
                  I know. Just because we don't do it, doesn't mean we shouldn't. All that grinding away in there with aluminum oxide mixed into the oil. You know what that means. They don't make these parts anymore. I'm trying to get better at doing it more often.

I would have to change it 5,6, times a year.
                  You're exaggerating!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

You're exaggerating!
                    Yeah, I had to edit my post, I was thinking 2000 mile oil changes. 2 is more realistic.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Deleted

Deleted text
                      Last edited by thumperjsa; 02-16-2016, 09:37 PM.
                      Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Working...
                      X