traveling to XSSoutheast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traveling to XSSoutheast

I'm leaving Thursday and meeting Viper Ron around Charlottesville Va. Then heading to Blacksburg area for the night. Just throwing this out there incase anyone is interested in meeting up along the way...
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

So you guys are heading south on I-81.
    I'm taking a more southerly route, so sorry I can't join you guys.
    I'm taking US-58 to I-85 then I-40 all on Friday.

See you there!
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

I am leaving home the 17th and taking I 75 most of the way to I 40 should in the Maggie Valley area by the 18th...... the FJR rally and then the Iron Horse on the 27th

heading home on the 30th and pull in the driveway sometime on the 1st
      Tom
      2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
      gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Originally posted by Huron52 View Post
        I am leaving home the 17th and taking I 75 most of the way to I 40 should in the Maggie Valley area by the 18th...... the FJR rally and then the Iron Horse on the 27th

heading home on the 30th and pull in the driveway sometime on the 1st
        Hi Tom,
        I will be going straight there and back up and down I 79 &I 77 through the hills and valleys of WV and if my timing works out over Hungry Mother Route 16..again
        Anyone heard from Ted lately?
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
          Anyone heard from Ted lately?
          Phil
          YES !! Last night
          He asked me for the gps route files. They will be arriving I-H eastbound from TN after prior ride out there.

Jeff
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E
          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
            Just throwing this out there incase anyone is interested in meeting up along the way...
            Yeah... Meet you in Tennessee, and bring the #$&*ing Cherios.

That work stuff sure gets in the way of a lot of things we'd like to do, don't it? lol.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Phil, thanks for asking about me

I am currently in Calgary, Heather is flying out to meet me here and we will be leaving on the 20th for Iron Horse, hoping for a dry trip. Planning to go straight South through Yellowstone before turning east through Denver, a little more south and then east.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ELDR View Post
                Phil, thanks for asking about me

I am currently in Calgary, Heather is flying out to meet me here and we will be leaving on the 20th for Iron Horse, hoping for a dry trip. Planning to go straight South through Yellowstone before turning east through Denver, a little more south and then east.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
                Hi Ted,
                You do get around. That is a hell of a commute from Ottawa via Calgary Hope you have a chance to see the sights along the way. look forward to hearing all about it at the Iron Horse.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Riders Inbound

So 2013 SE Rally has begun. Riders already on their way to Meet Points.

It is not uncommon to get a number of bikes / riders from 1,000 miles away (south Florida, upstate NY, Canada, TX, OK, KS etc., but this year there are two bikes on their way from 2,000 miles out. Now that's a Trip .......... Can't wait to hear the stories & see some pics. Ted & Heather already have a good one from Montana.

btw, I finally got my bike ready to ride. Bolts now tightened to spec, all fluids changed, crap temporary headlight is replaced with fairing and have no fluids (gas,oil,gear lube) leaking out on the ground or squirting all over the rear tire. Its only 140 miles up to Iron Horse from Atlanta so I'm reasonably sure I'll make it. Oh, Greg made an effort to 'fix the PO sanded pink'. Got lids on the bags too.

Iron Horse is all set up for us, weather looks to be forecast ok on the Prog Charts for the whole weekend, and we are putting the finishing touches on the plans.

Safe Journey's riding to I-H
                  See you Friday.

Jeff
                  Last edited by JeffH; 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM.
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E
                  78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                  '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                  '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Almost not quite

Well I almost didn't make it about 6 weeks ago did some hard riding with friends and started hearing a little noise from head not valves but not like a rod. When I put the bike backe together last year I had some oversize rings and put them on the original pistons. At first abot the first 2000 miles all was fine but after some time the pistons got to the point they were rocking back and forth a little causing skirt slap. It was really no big deal as I had gotten the 1198 overbore kit off Ebay. I also got a new cylinder from Andreas and took it to a shop to bore it out. Assembled it and before I got to really run it on the road started moving to new condo. Well days turn to weeks and last week I got back on the bike. Put it back together complete and took it for a ride. Sounded good ran good but leaked oil like hell. The front bolt flange from Cylinder to head had been cracked but could not see it till It started leaking. Now had to pull head cylinder etc. Put both cylinder assemblies in stove on 500 and before it got to temp sleeves fell out swapped bored sleves to old cylinder assembly with broken fin. I'll get the cylinder assembly welded you do not find them with no chipped or broken fins often. I Put all back together and now would not crank from start button. At first was intermittant hit it and it would crank over till you released the button then would not work till you turned the key off and on. Pull yank check wires button kill switch start relay etc then problem solid. Would start by jumpering across relay but died when took screwdriver off. Finally this AM found loose wire connection on ignition fuse connector. So looks like I'll be there.
                    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                    1980 G Silverbird
                    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                    1198 Overbore kit
                    Grizzly 660 ACCT
                    Barnett Clutch Springs
                    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                    122.5 Main Jets
                    ACCT Mod
                    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                    Antivibe Bar ends
                    Rear trunk add-on
                    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Dang, Ron, you sound a bit like me. I'd generally finish up on a rebuild the evening before or the morning of leaving for a rally, then ride to the rally for it's innital test.. lol.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                        Well I almost didn't make it about 6 weeks ago did some hard riding with friends and started hearing a little noise from head not valves but not like a rod. When I put the bike backe together last year I had some oversize rings and put them on the original pistons. At first abot the first 2000 miles all was fine but after some time the pistons got to the point they were rocking back and forth a little causing skirt slap. It was really no big deal as I had gotten the 1198 overbore kit off Ebay. I also got a new cylinder from Andreas and took it to a shop to bore it out. Assembled it and before I got to really run it on the road started moving to new condo. Well days turn to weeks and last week I got back on the bike. Put it back together complete and took it for a ride. Sounded good ran good but leaked oil like hell. The front bolt flange from Cylinder to head had been cracked but could not see it till It started leaking. Now had to pull head cylinder etc. Put both cylinder assemblies in stove on 500 and before it got to temp sleeves fell out swapped bored sleves to old cylinder assembly with broken fin. I'll get the cylinder assembly welded you do not find them with no chipped or broken fins often. I Put all back together and now would not crank from start button. At first was intermittant hit it and it would crank over till you released the button then would not work till you turned the key off and on. Pull yank check wires button kill switch start relay etc then problem solid. Would start by jumpering across relay but died when took screwdriver off. Finally this AM found loose wire connection on ignition fuse connector. So looks like I'll be there.
                        Hi Ron,

Now that is pure determination. If only our wives/girl friends could motivate us to that level! Wouldn't they be happy? Good luck on your ride to the rally.

MP
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                          So you guys are heading south on I-81.
                          I'm taking a more southerly route, so sorry I can't join you guys.
                          I'm taking US-58 to I-85 then I-40 all on Friday.

See you there!
                          Hey there George,

Glad to hear things are still "a go" for the Rally. I'll be leaving Al. ~7 am, takes me 4 hours to get to Atlanta, and then I'll be taking a different route this time, Mapquest suggested 75N towards Marietta, then off on I-575/Ga5/515 past Canton, then onto 19 thru Murphy, and such till I get to Tuskeegee, a few miles down the road from the Iron Horse!

I was reviewing the maps in the area, and didn't realize how CLOSE to the US 129 T.O.D. run we are where we are staying at, like just ~10 miles down the road! Might be an option to go run it Friday PM??? It's on the agenda for one of the day runs, but a nice way to get Warmed up! See you there!!

Ron, I didn't know you were attending either, I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of folks "IN PERSON" this Rally!

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C. I'll be there even though things tried to keep me here. Engine is not as shinny and polished but its running good and no leaks. Plus I have to be there what would Godzilla be without Rodan Have a good trip.
                            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                            1980 G Silverbird
                            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                            1198 Overbore kit
                            Grizzly 660 ACCT
                            Barnett Clutch Springs
                            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                            122.5 Main Jets
                            ACCT Mod
                            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                            Antivibe Bar ends
                            Rear trunk add-on
                            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                              Hey there George,

Glad to hear things are still "a go" for the Rally. I'll be leaving Al. ~7 am, takes me 4 hours to get to Atlanta, and then I'll be taking a different route this time, Mapquest suggested 75N towards Marietta, then off on I-575/Ga5/515 past Canton, then onto 19 thru Murphy, and such till I get to Tuskeegee, a few miles down the road from the Iron Horse!

I was reviewing the maps in the area, and didn't realize how CLOSE to the US 129 T.O.D. run we are where we are staying at, like just ~10 miles down the road! Might be an option to go run it Friday PM??? It's on the agenda for one of the day runs, but a nice way to get Warmed up! See you there!!

T.C.
                              Hey TC, I'm not sure about what time I'll get there on Friday. It's about 500 miles and with 4 gas stops (+ lunch) I may be able to do it in about 7.5-8 hours. So, If I leave about 7am, that should put me arriving around 2:30-3pm.
                              I'll probably be too fatigued to attempt any twisties.
                              Who knows, Maybe if I leave earlier, and the ride is uncomplicated, I might be up for it.
                              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                              The Green Monster
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                              Got him in '04.
                              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                              Scarlet
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                              Got her in '11
                              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                              Hugo
                              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                              Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                              X