No announcement yet.

2013 Gulf Coast Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will just continue to be envious of my friends heading out for a good time.
    Remeber to take lots of pictures.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Only 3 Weeks to Go

...... until our Gulf Coast Ride - Tallahassee to Galveston and return. Feb 15th to 24th.

I got anxious and decided to take off on a test run today. Now in Biloxi MS. Also had to sample some local cuisine of crawfish gumbo, voodoo gulf shrimp & gulf oysters at the Half Shell Oyster House tonight for dinner. All very tasty. Depending on what the riders want, we can maybe stop there for lunch -or- go to MS Hwy 57 to the The Shed BBQ that Brent likes. BTW, some trees are already starting to bloom in southern Alabama. Not a bad place to be while most of North America is in a deep freeze.

I've got all my motel reservations booked and will be splitting room expenses with Don.

Be sure to bring your Mardi Gras garb along for the ride. Was doing a little shopping at the Beau Rivage (and No!!! I didn't buy that one!!!)

While not quite a Key West sunset, the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico gave a nice showing at Biloxi Beach this evening + it was a balmy 71 degrees.

Drop a PM if you plan to join us during the ride so we know to be on the lookout for ya. Should be a Fun Ride with lots of time for talk and eating too!!

Jeff
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Packing

For Ride Planning:
        Here is next weekends weather forecast for the New Orleans area & Gulf Coast. A little cooler temps than expected, -but- so far, it looks like No Rain (possibly even no clouds) in the Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas Gulf forecast as "yet another" major system passes to the north. By the time we get to Galveston the temps should be back in the 70's as the NW cooler breezes turn SE off the Gulf (oh yeah!). Tired of rain or snow? maybe a good reason to pack up and head south to ride with us??

btw, looks like we got lucky and picked a good week since there have sure been a few washout days in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama as of late.

So, looking good for a Fun Ride with Good Eats. Trying to track down the best Boudin too. Alligators not too active with cool temps but guess that's OK, at least safer. Did a 100 mile test ride yesterday just to make sure bike was ok. Plan to leave Atlanta for Don's in Tallahassee on Friday AM. (remember, plenty of secure trailer parking is available at Don's).

See ya, Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

All packed and ready to go early Monday morning, just need to load the bike on the trailer.

Planning on seeing Don early Wednesday, followed by a few days biking in Florida.

It was -27F yesterday, + 58F to +69 looks pretty good.

Ted and Heather

Comment

bike is loaded,car is loaded. time to head south.

ride starts sat. feb. 16. so follow us on line or on your bike.
            80 xs1100G

Comment

Hey you guys, have a great time and ride safe.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by earl G View Post
                bike is loaded,car is loaded. time to head south.

ride starts sat. feb. 16. so follow us on line or on your bike.
                Hi Earl safe drive and ride. have fun and take lots of pictures.
                Rider can get loaded at the end of the ride
                Phil
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Friday at 4:00 we have arrived at the Microtel in Tallahassee

Ted and Heather

Comment

A++ Ride

Ride Update

Having a really great ride. A real nice trip so far. Saturday was cool with headwinds. Now its Day 5 and we arrived in Galveston just before sunset. 67 degrees and sunny today with a nice tailwind as we were heading west. Toured the Tabasco sauce plant at Avery Island this AM.

We got lazy and went the last few miles on the Port Bolivar Ferry

Going to have to adjust to stay behind some storms heading east back to Tallahassee by Sunday. Bikes are all running fine with no problems. Been feasting on Shrimp & Oysters and I got my Boudin (boo-dan). Will post more tomorrow.

Jeff
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Few Ride Pics

.........from the ride heading west over to Galveston. Have seen some great scenery and lots of Tug Boats and Shrimp boats (and oil rigs & machinery) in Bayou rides.

Lunch stop on Saturday in Apalachicola

Sunday night on Rue du Bourbon in the French Quarter

Local cuisine Menu from T Boy's on LA82 Food was Excellent
                      Great ride on TX82 along the Gulf

Riding into Valero Refinery in Port Arthur Texas looking for a free fillup or at least some samples

Wednesday at Gaido's on the Gulf in Galveston (angry seas today)

Will work out & post updated Ride Plan East for Thur-Fri-Sat-Sun depending on weather situation as the big storm passes to the north.

Jeff
                      Last edited by JeffH; 02-20-2013, 03:35 PM.
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E
                      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Joining ride.

I am heading out this morning to meet with Earl & Don in FL. They have left TX ahead of predicted rain and report good weather so far.

Sympathy to those expecting ice storm. It is clear & dry here and I am heading south. About packed...Where are my Summer gloves??
                        It is a great big beautiful world out there
                        Brent in GA
                        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Rode from Galveston to Lafayette Louisiana today. Had so much fun on LA Hwy 82 and TX Hwy 82 going west we decided to do a repeat today as we started back east today. Almost no traffic at all. Just a great ride covering 258 miles and two ferry rides. Temps were about 70 along the water and 73 inland. Had a nice tailwind too so mpg was good. No rain, just a couple drops here and there.

Cameron Parish is really an amazing place with all kind of birds and real nice scenery. Still many properties that never recovered from the Hurricanes

Fun to zip along the highway with the Gulf of Mexico just a couple feet from the road

If weather holds out tomorrow we will ride along the Mississippi River Road and stop at Houma Plantation and Laura Plantation before going to Slidell. Then I'll head to Atlanta as weather permits as Ted & Heather head back to Don's in Tallahassee. Don, Earl and Brent are already in Tallahassee.

Jeff
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                            Rode from Galveston to Lafayette Louisiana today. Had so much fun on LA Hwy 82 and TX Hwy 82 going west we decided to do a repeat today as we started back east today. Almost no traffic at all. Just a great ride covering 258 miles and two ferry rides. Temps were about 70 along the water and 73 inland. Had a nice tailwind too so mpg was good. No rain, just a couple drops here and there.

Cameron Parish is really an amazing place with all kind of birds and real nice scenery. Still many properties that never recovered from the Hurricanes

Fun to zip along the highway with the Gulf of Mexico just a couple feet from the road

If weather holds out tomorrow we will ride along the Mississippi River Road and stop at Houma Plantation and Laura Plantation before going to Slidell. Then I'll head to Atlanta as weather permits as Ted & Heather head back to Don's in Tallahassee. Don, Earl and Brent are already in Tallahassee.

Jeff
                            Hi Jeff,
                            I do like to be beside the sea. glad to hear you are having a good time. keep those picturs coming.
                            Phil
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Friday Feb 22: now in Slidell

Had an interesting day and found some great twisty's. Grosse Tete to Plaquemine (excellent curves and pavement) on the way to a tour of Laura, a Creole Plantation on the west side of the Mississippi River at Vacherie. Weather was kind of cloudy but 67 degrees. Just a few sprinkles of rain here n' there and rode 250 miles today. Plantation (sugar) was started in 1805 and tour was very interesting.

Maybe some of the Louisiana XSives can set up an XS11 Rally for us down here some day. It is sure a GREAT place to visit ....

The Executive Chef at B&C Seafood in Vacherie Louisiana. Crawfish in season and delicious. Had good Boudin too!
                              I hear that 'Chef' while highly skilled in the kitchen is actually a very messy eater!!

Took Hwy LA22 east into Ponchatoula / Mandeville and that was also an interesting ride along some bayou (twisty's with great scenery and good pavement). Sure is lots of water everywhere down here.

Ride has been fun. About 1,300 miles Atlanta-Tallahassee then ride west to Galveston. So far, 511 miles heading east with 460 to go to ATL. Maybe Ted and Earl can post some pics too.

Jeff
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E
                              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Back home safely

Left Slidell Sat AM after breakfast with Ted and Heather. Back roads across Mississippi and Alabama up to Montgomery then I-85 home by 9pm. I had a good time and nice ride. Yee-Haw

Jeff
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E
                                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                                X