Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS Southeast 2012 @ Iron Horse itinerary

Our rally is about two weeks away, so here is the plan:

Friday 28 Sept- 5 pm 'til ? Meet-n-greet at the lodge. Please come shake hands and sign in, so we know who is there. Dinner is available at the lodge. For those staying elsewhere, meals at the Iron Horse must be arranged in advance. We'll be hanging around the campfire after dinner.

Saturday 29 Sept- Side stands up at 0900. We have planned a 220 mile loop, so an on time departure is important. Please show up with a full tank of gas and a belly full of breakfast. Fuel stops have been arranged to accommodate the XS1100 Special. Our ride will have us in Cashiers, NC for lunch around 1 pm. Lunch will be at The Carolina Smokehouse After food and fuel, we will continue to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We hope for a good photo op there. We will return to the Iron Horse in time for dinner. Once again, meals at the Iron Horse must be arranged in advance. The Iron Horse will provide another campfire.

Sunday 30 Sept- For those able to stay on, we have planned another ride. We will depart at or before 10 am and ride to and through Deals Gap. We will stop for souvenirs and photos. We will continue on to Tellico Plains, TN for lunch at The Cotton Pickin Inn. After lunch we will begin our return via the Cherohala Skyway with a likely stop at Bald River Falls. At the end of the ride, dinner is at your own discretion.

I hope to see you in two weeks. I'm expecting a great weekend!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Marty:
    Just so I'm clear on the meal situation, If I'm staying at the lodge, do I still make arrangements with them or is that done with the room reservation? Is dinner available at the lodge on Sunday night?
    Only 2 weeks to go!!
    Mark

Comment

Mark,

If you have reservations at the lodge, the Iron Horse staff will contact you and ask you to choose a dinner menu. You will tell them what you want for breakfast when you check in. I've stayed there three times now and that's how it went. They preorder the food and I expect it keeps the price down. The dinner offerings at the lodge are good.

Once again, if you don't make arrangements to eat at the lodge, there will be nothing there for you. If you are a guest of the lodge, they will contact you about the menu.

I have no idea what will be available on Sunday, but they'll let you know. As you may have learned from the other thread, Bryson City is 30 minutes away and Robbinsville is a bit closer.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Two weeks and can't wait

Any chance someone has done a gps route for TomTom, Garmin or Google that can be posted or emailed for the Staurday and Sunday rides.

Ted and Heather

Comment

PM JeffH about that. He's off line right now, but he can hook you up.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

As I am going to be down there the week before.(in the area) I am going to drop by and see what I can work out for sleeping arrangement and food. All plans have back up plans eh? It looks like I'll only be there friday night and saturday night.
            Tom
            2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
            gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Vetter trunk $60 delivered to Rally

Limited offer to mount trunk and deliver to Rally for $60. Vetter trunk with key and lights. Some rust on trim, see pics. BAckrest is old and could stand recovering.

Let me know soon.

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

alternate lodging

Tom,

If you can't get a spot at the Iron Horse, some folks have checked in that are staying at The Kickstand Lodge and at Two Wheel Inn. The Kickstand is very close by.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

thanks Marty.... I will have some time between the two rallies.... might even stay in each one to see which one is the best....
                  Tom
                  2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                  gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                    Limited offer to mount trunk and deliver to Rally for $60. Vetter trunk with key and lights. Some rust on trim, see pics. BAckrest is old and could stand recovering.

Let me know soon.

John
                    How you gonna haul your dirty undies home?
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Who said I was bringing any?

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                        Who said I was bringing any?

John
                        TMI John. Now everyone will look at you and wonder..............................
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I can GUARANTEE that I will NOT be looking at John and wondering if he has underwear on or not.. but maybe that's just me?

I'll be rooming with you two on the way out... Will I need to find a place to give you two some alone time?
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I-H meals

I thought I had best cross post this because it is important:

Just to confirm the I-H meal process for next weekend:
                            Iron Horse will be emailing their Friday / Saturday / Sunday Menus to "those that have already Registered" at the Iron Horse. (When you registered you likely gave them your email address.) Therefore expect to get your menu email from I-H either late tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday.

Note: the email will ONLY be sent to the Registered person(s). If you are 'Sharing-a-Room' with someone then you will need to make sure you forward your email to your roommate so they can contact I-H with their Menu Selection.

For those that are planning to Eat at I-H -but- Stay somewhere else then we need to make sure you also get a copy of the Menu email so you can contact I-H directly with your selections.

After sunset it gets scary dark and bigfoot roams. Remember Eric Robert Rudolph hid from the feds almost 5 years in these mountains even with massive resources & technology deployed in the search.

If you want dinner at I-H on Friday night be sure you respond to the email you get. I will try and post the info as soon as I get my Menu email from the I-H. Just a heads up to be watching your email Inbox before hitting the road to western NC.

Jeff
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

When you guys get that email, could one of you PM me and get my email and forward that to me? I'm just bunking with Brent, so I haven't registered.
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own