Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good carb mechanic

Hey Guys,
    Anyone know of a good XS mechanic in the Charlotte, NC area. I need to have some carb work done. I am slightly mechanically inclined but don't like messing with carbs. Especially when there are 4 of them to be sync'd. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Beast

Originally posted by 1Beast View Post
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    My suggestion? Do them yourself! They are not that complicated, and you'll pay a shop more than the carbs are worth just to sync them. Get a couple cans of carb cleaner spray, and use a compressor for a blast of air here and there. A standard Phillips #2 screwdriver and a skinny standard screwdriver are all you should need to get them clean and tuned. If they are really cruddy, an overnight bath spray of PB blaster will help release the screws.

Follow the Carb 101 Thread and you'll be all set.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Year model?

What year model are your carbs?
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Greetings, and welcome!

I agree with C-Bug. I also hate working on carbs. Never really understood them or got along with them. When I first bought mine last year, and before I found this site, I took mine to a shop to have the carbs cleaned and synced, as well as a few other things. Big mistake. I won't say how much I ended up forking over to those guys, but I will say that it absolutely was not worth it. The guy who worked on it supossedly had one of his own, which was given to him by his father, who bought it new. For someone who is supposedly a "legacy" owner, he sure didn't know jack about these things.

I've been forced to learn the ins and outs of these carbs, trying to nail down recurring problems. I think I finally have it all sorted out. I just need to track down one little part this morning, then I will be putting my work to the test this weekend.

The link C-Bug pointed you to is a great place to start. If there is a specific issue you're looking for, the forum search will quite likely turn up several topics or posts on your problem. Sometimes that's a lot of results to wade through, so if you can't find what you need, just ask.
        XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
        -- Jack Burton

Comment

Originally posted by foreda View Post
          What year model are your carbs?
          They are 1980. The entire bike is original with a little over 16,000 original miles. Has set alot. The carbs were rebuilt about 4 years ago with only minimal riding. I've had it for a couple of weeks now. The idling at rest is low and there is some backfire when you left off the throttle. The headers have turned blue as well.
          1 Beast

Comment

They are 1980. The entire bike is original with a little over 16,000 original miles. Has set alot. The carbs were rebuilt about 4 years ago with only minimal riding. I've had it for a couple of weeks now. The idling at rest is low and there is some backfire when you left off the throttle. The headers have turned blue as well.
            Run some Seafoam thru her good first! If you decide to do it yourself, they are not that hard to work on. The hardest part is removing them if you have the stock air box. Once you learn the little trick to get them off, you can get them off pretty quick.
            Does it stumble or hesitate?
            78 XS1100E Standard
            Coca Cola Red
            Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

If you are ever near Apex NC I can help, Charlotte is only a 3 hour drive.
              Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
              Current rides:
              80 XS1100SG
              82 JX1100
              83 Venture Royale
              86 V-Max

Comment

Hey Guys,
                Anyone know of a good XS mechanic in the Charlotte, NC area. I need to have some carb work done. I am slightly mechanically inclined but don't like messing with carbs. Especially when there are 4 of them to be sync'd. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am in Huntersville, sent you a PM. I am halfway decent with the pains in the rear known as carbs.
                1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
                1981 XJ650 Midnight - Black Betty
                Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

Thanks to all

Thanks to everyone who posted here. I have got it beat I believe. Had to replace intake boots though. UGH.... Maybe they will last another 31 years.
                  1 Beast

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posted here. I have got it beat I believe. Had to replace intake boots though. UGH.... Maybe they will last another 31 years.
                    Awesome!! Let me know if you need help on anything else, at this point I have rebuilt my whole bike at least 2 times. It would be awesome to meet up some time as well. Wouldn't mind riding with another 11. Doing bike night at Macs in LKN this thurs with a buddy and his Rocket III roadster.
                    1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
                    Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

Wouldn't mind riding with another 11.
                      Come to the rally Sept 30. The Iron Horse is close enough to reach by XS11 in just a few short hours or less. You can ride with a bunch of 11s.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Preggers

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        Come to the rally Sept 30. The Iron Horse is close enough to reach by XS11 in just a few short hours or less. You can ride with a bunch of 11s.
                        That would be awesome, but I am thinking SWMBO wouldn't like me too... she will be 7 1/2 months pregnant at that point... I should prob try not to do whole weekend stuff at that point.
                        1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
                        Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

Working...
                        X