X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key West Road trip - January 2007

Road trip or rally?

Invite - Ride to Key West FL January 5-9, 2007

I went last year in early January. Mostly 2 lane roads; Ga antebellum trail, Heritage trail, Saw pecan and peach orchards, pine woods, green pastures... It was cold, (30's) when I left at dawn last year, but by noon, WARM. I was changing to summer gloves. Points of interest include okefenokie swamp, Everglades, Lake Okechobee, Tamiami trail, 7 mile bridge to keys, warm weather...

Any one interested in going? you could park your snow plows and motorcycle trailers at my house in ga, or meet up in central FL.

Remember XS east is coming in the spring, but that is a long time away. If you suffer from PMS (parked motorcycle syndrom),
    Road trip could be most benefiial.

Happy motoring,
    Brent in Ga
    It is a great big beautiful world out there
    Brent in GA
    Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

FL

Hey Brent,
    If your route takes you anywhere near Jacksonville give me a holler.
    Walt
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Re: FL

Originally posted by Hobbit
      Hey Brent,
      If your route takes you anywhere near Jacksonville give me a holler.
      Walt
      Yes, I plan to pass near Jacksonville on day one, Friday January 5

Can you come along and ride?

Happy motoring,
      Brent in Ga
      Brent in GA
      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Fl Ride

I'll have to check my schedule at work.
        Walt
        80 XS11s - "Landshark"
        79 XS11s
        03 Valkyrie
        80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
        78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
        81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Flexible plans

Hobbit,
          Glad to hear of interest. Of course route also passes Jax or Lake City heading north on way back. We will likely see the coast...maybe St. Augustine, Tampa area. Ideas?

More to come.

Brent in Ga.
          Brent in GA

Comment

A florida ride?, Oh Hell Yeah! Dont know if I can make it, but would like to try. Kids, job and all, you know. I wont know until it gets closer.
            I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

http://www.650motorcycles.com/2006FantasyFestival1.html
              Why I like Key West. This could be a good time to go.
              I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Winter ride

Originally posted by Goin Commando
                A florida ride?, Oh Hell Yeah! Dont know if I can make it, but would like to try. Kids, job and all, you know. I wont know until it gets closer.
                It is closer to FL trip time. South FL weather looks good - low of 72 hi 80.

This is shaping up to be a road trip, rather than a rally.

Post soon if you can ride in Fl with us this weekend or as early as fri, late as tues.
                Brent in GA

Comment

Back from Key west

A good safe trip.
                  Three bikes, an 80 XS1100sg special. a yamaha venture and a HD road king made the trip from Atlanta to Key West and Flamingo FL. Only mechanical failures were 2 lightbulbs.

Still motoring here in GA
                  Brent.
                  Brent in GA

Comment

That's it? ahhhh come on Brent.... tell us how it really was!
                    Tom
                    2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                    gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

How it was

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Huron52
                      [B]That's it? ahhhh come on Brent.... tell us how it really was!

Ok, OK,

There was more to it, but no accidents, no injuries, no scuffs, no dropped bikes, no breakdowns.

One bolt holding a slip on muffler on my harley was loose when I returned. Several wood beads came off my taxi driver seat cover. It is worn out. Nylon chin strap on helmet unraveled some and does need replacing. Brake pads and rotors wore down a little more. Timing chain and tensioners wore down a little more too. A crack in Exhust pipe leaked the whole way, but has since been repaired. Bohn ran his XS out of gas, but sputtered on fumes up to the fuel pumps in Tifton Ga. He also used and added one half quart of oil on the trip, but in over1900 miles that is NOT bad.

Then there was adventure, new roads, weather, scenery, food, some new riding gear well tested. and more.

I have a disc of pictures. any recommendations on how to make them available to you?

More on that later. It is warm here now. High of 69 f today -70 tomarrow, no rain forcast untill monday. I will try to tell more about how it really was, but I believe I will ride a little more first.

Happy motoring,
                      Brent in Ga
                      Brent in GA

Comment

Hey Brent!

I would love to see some of those pics. SWMBO and I are heading down to Key West next weekend to surprise my friend on his 50th. His wife is taking him and he doesn't know we are coming. Never been there and can't wait to see it.
                        Unfortunately flying...not riding!

Take Care!!
                        JimBoReeno
                        My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                        '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                        '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                        2000 Indian Chief
                        Millennium Edition

Comment

pics & winterizing

Btrent Hoovestol has shared a PhotoShow!
                          Title: Key west ride photos
                          Hoove, Stewart, and guest Bohn on XS, are shown: wet in Ray City Ga, on
                          Tamiami trail, Crossing into the keys, in Key west, in Everglades NP,
                          ahead of storm west of Lake okechobee.

AND pic #4 Bohn of Kansas City "winterizing" his XS1100

To watch this show, paste the address below into your browser

http://www.photoshow.net/scripts_mai...show=iDvnOxAwg
                          Brent in GA

Comment

Thanks for the pictures.... I'll have to plan for the next one of those trips...
                            Tom
                            2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                            gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Great Pics Brent!
                              I am itchin for a road trip!
                              JimBoReeno
                              My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                              '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                              '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                              2000 Indian Chief