X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TeXSive Lite 2005

TeXSive Lite 2005 – Saturday, April 16th

It’s that time again TeXSives.
    This years spring ride will be in both the Angelina and Sabine National Forests, just a few miles east of Lufkin Texas.

We will meet at 8:30am at the Ihop in Lufkin.(4400 S Medford Dr Lufkin, TX 75901) It’s the one that is just east of H59 before the Best Western.

We will leave Ihop around 10am. From there we will be taking a ride thru the Angelina National Forest hitting towns such as Zavalla, Pineland and San Augustine.

We will have lunch in San Augustine. From there we will ride a small circle into the Sabine National Forest and later heading back to Lufkin somewhere around 3:30 or 4pm. (Of course these time are tentative, you know how “spirited” our riding can get!)

I and my girlfriend Nancy will be arriving in Lufkin Friday night and staying in a hotel there both Friday and Saturday nights. So if anyone plans to come in Friday night let me know and perhaps we can have a pre-rally dinner.

I have never really done any motoring in this area before so it will be all new to me. Any of you that know the area? Feel free to send me other suggestions for riding.

If you have any questions or would like maps of the ride and meeting plase feel free to contact me at HILFREY@houston.rr.com

Ride Safe
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

more info about the ride...

Accomodations:

I will be staying in the Diboll Best Western Inn. Diboll is about 8 miles south of Lufkin on H59. I chose the hotel because... well... It's cheaper and just as nice as anything in Lufkin. There are plenty of hotels in the Lufkin area to choose from though, feel free to stay wherever you choose.

Best Western
    Diboll Inn
    910 N Temple Drive, Diboll, Texas, United States, 75941-1518
    Phone: 936-829-2055 Fax: 936-829-2063

Food

Friday Night

Dinner:
    For those coming in Friday night, we will meet for dinner at 8:00pm at the
    Cotton Patch Cafe.
    3207 S. 1st Street
    (US-59)
    (936) 639-4949

Saturday

Breakfast:
    We will meet at 8:30am at the Ihop in Lufkin.(4400 S Medford Dr Lufkin, TX 75901)

Lunch:
    The plan is to have lunch in San Augustine. There is a Dairy Queen there as wall as a cafe called the Wishing Well. We are just gonna play this one by ear.

Ride

Saturday ride...

Comment

Looks like I'm inbound for Friday night! Cleared the last bump in my schedule . . . (usually can't figure that out this early).

I'm ready!
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Woohoo!

Looks like we have some possible new riders joining us this year, and most of the usual suspects.

Comment

I know i wont get to come, but... in huntington and zavala... be sure to do speed limit or less... both towns are really picky... as you leave lufkin headed down 69 south, just south of the loop,... there is a motorcycle shop/ salvage yard on the left that has some xs stuff ... last time i was there he had a MS but said it was a customers... been there like a year already...lol
          Shawn
          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
          78 XS1100E Parts
          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Been to that bike shop. The owner is a friend of my girlfriend's dad.
            I think I pissed the guy off when he was playfully talking my girlfriend into buying one of his GW trikes. I said, "Na, honey you need a real motorcycle," He gave me a dirty look and commenced to telling me just how "real" his trikes were... LOL... whatever.

He does have alot of good salvage stuff though. We could stop by if anyone wants to.

Comment

I think I am a definite maybe. If I can make it, I will make it Friday night also, but have to leave Sat evening to go to work Sunday.
              I missed meeting y'all in the fall, and I hope to stay healthy for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by John
                I think I am a definite maybe.
                Glad your so concise John.

Hope you can make it friend. Looking forward to ridin' with ya.
                Saw your bike online. Very nice Special you got there.

Ride Safe.

Comment

Thanks Wayne. The bike is actually one of those 10 footers. It looks great from 10 feet away, but any closer than that you can see all the little imperfections. It's been 13 years sinnce I did the resto work, and it's showing. It's like I told pathfinder...I don't ride a poser, it's a daily driver, and I won't be a slave to the polishing rag, like a lot of h-d riders. I work with some of them, and granted, even though the bikes are nice and 'chiney' they spend more time babying it than riding. If mine does get dirty, I wait for the cold, or bad weather days to do the washing. I don't want to miss the good riding weather days.
                  About how long is the Saturday ride? Just curious, 'cuz I'll be riding home that evening, and I hope my butt can handle it

Comment

Actual saddle time should be around 4 hours. Add gas stops and lunch and we are lookin' at a probable total of around 5.5 hours.

That should put us back in Lufkin between 3:30 or 4:00 pm.

Of course, feel free to break off and head back to the house anytime you need to.

Comment

Hey John,

(snip)
                      ....It looks great from 10 feet away, but any closer than that you can see all the little imperfections. It's been 13 years sinnce I did the resto work, and it's showing. It's like I told pathfinder...I don't ride a poser, it's a daily driver, and I won't be a slave to the polishing rag.....

Bikes were born to be ridden!

Mine's NEVER looked better than the day I arrived in Fairbanks...shown here:

Ride 'em hard!
                      CUAgain,
                      Daniel Meyer
                      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Yuck! You actually were seen on that thing? A lot of dirt roads, huh? I'll bet that was one hell of a journey. I don't know if I could handle that much butt time, but I'm envious that I can't do it. I'll probably have eight hours or longer in the saddle on the day of the XS ride. That's gonna be an experience. SWMBO may be able to make it also. She'll probably be on the Foster Child, unless she can get That Damned FJ back on the road by then. It's looking pretty cool so far.

Comment

So does "looking pretty cool so far" mean you'll have a chance of keeping up, or does it mean she'll be on the FJ?
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Made my reservations for friday night at the Best Western in Diboll. It's about 9 miles south of Lufkin on 59. One night was $57 as opposed to the BW in Lufkin which is around $90 a night. Figured Id save the $33.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
                              So does "looking pretty cool so far" mean you'll have a chance of keeping up, or does it mean she'll be on the FJ?
                              I'm not sure if she'll be on the FJ by then or not. She would like to do some repair on the fairing, and then decide on a paint/graphics scheme. The engine is back together, but it won't be reinstalled until the frame is painted, and the other work is done. Looking pretty cool is referring to the color she has chosen for the engine paint. Gold. With the valve cover, clutch cover, alternator and starter all painted black. The edges of the cooling fins have been sanded down to the silver color. There are some shiny bits that she has polished the snot out of. It will look good when the dust settles, but I still probably won't be ablr to keep up with her. At least with her on the 'unmodified' XS, I should be able to stay ahead of her.

Comment

Working...
                              X