Spring 2005 Texas Hill Country Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 2005 Texas Hill Country Ride

It looks more and more likely we will have the Spring 2005 Texas Hill Country Ride the weekend of the 11th, 12th and 13th of March. The Grist Mill Restaurant in Greune, Texas is the probable site for the Friday night dinner/meeting place.Time will probably be around 6:30 PM for the meeting.

Let me know I anyone has any interest. If not I will just let this topic die.

Hap

We have a group of riders that will be coming down from the DFW area.They meet at a Waffle House then head south. There will also be a group coming from Beaumont. There will be free camping available at my father-in-law's place near Canyon Lake but there are also hotels in the area if you prefer to sleep in a bed. There is a shower and an "outhouse" with regular plumbing so it is a very comfortable camp site.

The present schedule is below:

Friday 11-Mar-05

06:30 PM - meet at the Grist Mill Restaurant in Gruene Texas. Have dinner, meet old friends, and make new friends.

http://www.gristmillrestaurant.com/scottmap1.jpg

09:00 PM or where ever dinner wraps up - head to either the camp site near Canyon Lake or to your preferred sleeping location.

Campsite:
    1565 Lonesome
    Canyon Lake, TX

Saturday 12-Mar-05

07:30 AM - meet at the OST Restaurant in Bandera, Texas. Have breakfast, check out the bikes in the daylight, and get ready for the ride.

8:30 AM - Start the ride. We will go by the Lone Star motorcycle Museum and will ride the "Threes"...FN 335, 336, and 337.

http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/

Some time in the evening - Return to camp and get ready for dinner. We may eat at a restaurant or just have a cookout at the Fire Circle at my father-in-law's place. We are still working out these details...any input would be appreciated!

Sunday 13-Mar-05

Wake up and pack. We will either have breakfast at the campsite or find a local restaurant.

As you can tell, the event gets less and less organized as the weekend progresses. This allows folks who need to leave early to do so and keeps the fun flexible.

It doesn't look like I'm getting much of a response on this site but if you do decide to join us, please let me know, especially if you plan to camp with us.

Hap

Comment

Kind of preliminary for me to respond . . . as my life is a mess at the moment . . . but I am interested.

Need to see if we can contact wayne, shack, and mike, as well as the Campbells . . . all of which have made the other TeXSive rides . . .
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Ride list as of 1:04 PM CST 09-Feb-05:

1. Leon - GS1000G - Camping
        2. Eric - SV1000N - Camping
        3. Dom - KZ1300 - Camping
        4. Hap - GS1100E - Camping
        5. Allie - pillion - Camping
        6. Don - RC51 or CBR600 - Camping
        7. Derek - back seat racer - Camping
        8. Mike - Harley
        9. Val - Pillion or GS650E
        10. Tim - GS750E - Camping
        11. Ryan - GS550E - Camping
        13. Terry - GS750E
        14. Terry’s wife
        15. Greg (Arai59) - KZ1000 MK2
        16. Steve Frazier - GS1100GK - Camping
        17. KrazyKarl - Turbo GPz750 - Camping
        18. Dan - GS750E - Camping
        19. Anna - pillion - Camping
        20. Boldorboy - CB1100F - Coming from Colorado!
        21. Cisco - YZF600 - Camping
        22. Carl Owens - FJ1200
        23. Larwence Lucia - VT1000
        24. tambri - CB1100F or CB750F
        25. Daniel Meyer - XS1100 or Valk

These are folks that have said that they are going to be there or try to be there, so this list will grow and shrink as we get closer to the ride date.

Hap

Comment

This was posted by Leon, one of our Dallas-Ft. Worth riders:

we will be meeting at the waffle house (MMMM waffles Drool ) on I-35W south of Fort Worth at the 1187, Rendon, Crowley road exit.
          as you get off I-35 going south bound you will turn right at the light, the waffle house will be the second drive on the left.
          I plan on pulling out of the waffle house at around 10am and heading out west on 1187 to 2331, take 2331 south through Godley to Bono, turn right on hwy 67 out of Bono through Glen Rose to 220 outside of Chalk Mountain.
          follow 220 to Hico, pick up hwy 281 in Hico and continue south to the first fuel stop in Hamilton.
          after fuel we will continue south on hwy 281 south to Marble Falls where we will have our lunch stop, (any suggestions for lunch?) we will stop for fuel again in Blanco, we will turn left off of hwy 281 south of Blanco onto 32 and follow it to 484 where we will turn right and follow it till it ends at 306, go left on 306 a short ways till we reach Randy's street.

Hap

Comment

Ride??? Did someone say ride?

Originally posted by Dragonrider
            Kind of preliminary for me to respond . . . as my life is a mess at the moment . . . but I am interested.

Need to see if we can contact wayne, shack, and mike, as well as the Campbells . . . all of which have made the other TeXSive rides . . .
            Hi Danny,
            Guess ya forgot with all thats going on right now.
            Understandable. I sent the details to the Moore's Robert and Linda to see what they thought. Even if they decide to wait for Wayne to organize a spring ride I may come to this one as well.
            Always like the Hill Country.
            So put me down as a definate maybe.
            The Phat Lady is ready to stretch her legs and so am I.
            Tinman
            --------
            XSTin
            80SG

Comment

ok.. what does "HAP CALL"mean? was at Fina refinery in Port Arthur and saw it listed as a reason for plant entry.
              I wish i could make the run but i am saving up for family vacation in june... one of these years i might get to go
              Shawn
              78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
              78 XS1100E Parts
              www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Originally posted by sksxs1100
                ok.. what does "HAP CALL"mean? was at Fina refinery in Port Arthur and saw it listed as a reason for plant entry.
                I wish i could make the run but i am saving up for family vacation in june... one of these years i might get to go
                That's my name...I work there. I'm an electrical engineer working in maintenance.

Hap

Comment

AHHHH...ok I was wondering..lol
                  Shawn
                  78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                  78 XS1100E Parts
                  www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

The ride went well! We had one gentleman, Jason, down form Oklahoma City on a beautiful XS850 (his 1100 is going under some restoration), and he did an excellent job representing the Yamaha Marquee. He also had the longest ride getting to the campsite!

The ride was cut short, when we came across an accident where a Yamaha R1 left the road and went through a barbwire fence, tossing the rider, and destroying the bike. We assisted with the first aid effort and gathered parts that were scattered across the "trajectory " path.

Here is a report from one of our guys who was on the ride. He got the info from the guy's wife:

broke his left : shoulder, arm, wrist, hand in three places, above / below the knee, foot, and shattered his ankle, bruised / maybey cracked ribs. Good news his balls were fine that is until he gets out of ICU and his wife kicks him square in them because ( YOUR JUST NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS) he bought the bike without his wife knowing and he bought liability only Insurance on his 12 day old R1!!!! I told her that the bike is in a nice little pile in someones yard in the middle of Leakey Texas,
                    but he had no major head injuries and is consious in between morphine injections, and the doctors think he has a real good chance of living through it all.

His story... he had a major bike accident 7 years ago in which he shattered both arms, his knee, has some bad head injuries, and it rendered his left arm useless. So after a while he bought a small bike and retaught himself how to ride. He had 4 bikes over the course of the 7 years finally to buy this bike 2 weeks ago. His left arm was TOTALLY useless!!! his wife told me that he had all his controls on the right handlebar, I never got to see the bike so I don't know, but she said that he used that arm brace for stability and he velcroed YES TOTALLY VELCROED his hand to the handlebars. Which explains why his wrist and hand were broke all to hell. He was tied to that bike while it was flying through the air. Anyway we all know the rest.... his wife is real positive on the phone, and has confidence that he will pull through, but she did say that as she was explaining to the doctors all of his old injuries today she said that she could not believe that he would put himself throught all this again...

So Rick Gonzales is going to be fine ... eventually. he doesn't remember any of it, but his wife was very thankfull for us stopping to help him.

Before

After

Hmmmmm...kind of makes you wonder. Well, looks like he's going to survive.

Ride safe!

Hap
                    Last edited by Hap Call; 03-14-2005, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I can understand the desire to ride welling up, and wanting to do whatever it takes to ride again, but... VELCOING his hands to the bars?! WOW, not the best biker idea to come down the pike. Im glad he is doing well.
                      Perhaps its time for him to look into a trike setup of somesort.
                      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                      The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

No trike. He'd kill him self, again. Maybe an electric wheelchair, would be more appropriate.
                        Sounds like he's screwed with even getting a kiss.
                        I hope things go ok for him.

Comment

Wow! Hope he recovers ok!

There's a one-armed Valk rider in the OK VRCC group . . . He can handle the twisties with the best of us . . . but he isn't velcroed to the bike!

Barbed wire fence! Ouch! (cringe)
                          CUAgain,
                          Daniel Meyer
                          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I had a good time. Great ride with beautiful scenery. The great twisty roads were lots of fun. Hope to make it down there again to be able to finish the whole ride.

Seeing the downed R1 rider was a sombering experience. Made me want to get home and hug my wife and girls. His equipement saved his life. Without his full face helmet, jacket and boots he would have been a dead man.
                            Jason K.
                            '80 XS1100G
                            '80 XS850LG
                            '96 FZR600

Comment

It was a pleasure meeting you Jason! There is some discussion about a ride in the Arkansas area in the fall...maybe you can make that ride.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                              X